AA Minimag LED - Lux III vs Rebel runtime?

Fooboy

Enlightened
It's come to my attention that Maglite has released an upgraded LED minimag with the rebel emitter.

Does anyone have any comparison info for runtime and output between the Lux III and Rebel versions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Re: AA Minimag LED - Lux III vs Rebel

It's come to my attention that Maglite has released an upgraded LED minimag with the rebel emitter.

Does anyone have any comparison info for runtime and output between the Lux III and Rebel versions?

Thanks!

Not sure about the runtime, although the new Maglite AA has a high and low (along with beacon and SOS), and comparing the new one on "low" with the old Luxeon LED one (single mode, of course), the new one is about as bright. On high, it is a lot brighter. Here are a couple of casual beam shots, and I won't go into camera settings:

Lux Maglite AA (left) vs. MultiMode Rebel Mag AA (low setting):

Lux Maglite (left) vx. MultiMode Rebel Mag AA (high setting):

Last edited:

Fooboy

Enlightened
Re: AA Minimag LED - Lux III vs Rebel

Thanks - any runtime info on the Lux III vs Rebel models?

L.E.D.

Enlightened
With the new rebel Minimag on high mode, you should expect to see similar runtime with the old Lux III version, except with a long tail of low light moon mode after a little more than three and a half hours from the new rebel version, the old version just cuts out with no moon mode and you're left in the dark. On low mode, expect close to 20 hours of runtime with alkalines (80 mA) and even more with good rechargeable NiMH's / low self discharge types.. I'm pretty happy with my new Rebel Minimag, the LED doesn't come lose and pop off after a 6 foot drop onto concrete, like the first generation (there are two gen's of Lux III MM's) Lux III Minimag would, and after around 7 minutes of continuous use on high mode, I can feel the area near the head of the light getting hot, so heatsinking has definitely been improved! If you're going to get a 2AA Minimag LED, definitely get the new rebel version if you can. It uses a Rebel 90 for Godsakes!!! I would estimate the total output to be right around 55 lumens, a bit brighter than the Rayovac 1 Watt 2AA (reflector version), with a little more throw on spot focus. I also like how the MM led's start out on a nice flood focus with no donut hole in the middle..

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found that when it goes into "moon" mode, it uses PWM...not sure at what point that kicks in, but it will run in that mode for a looooong time before it gets too dim for any practical use. I remember reading somewhere on another thread, that when the batteries get low, it just steps down into "Low" mode...this is not true. When it goes into "moon" mode, it can still be switched into "Low" and it will be noticeably dimmer.

Most important thing (at least to me), is that it will NOT just shut off, or start flickering, when the batteries get low, leaving you in the dark like the first gen MM LED did.