Suggestions Waterproof Flashlight

Alpha359

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm looking for a durable, waterproof flashlight. When I say waterproof, I don't mean surviving in a rain. I'm talking about using it underwater for an extended period of time. I know there is the Nemo series from Surefire, but that isn't quite what I'm looking for. I need something that is small like the Maglite 2-AA flashlight and can take falls and hard hits.

There's the Fenix TA30 that states that it is waterproof to IPX-8 standards. Does anyone have one and can confirm it working for an extended time while in water?

Maglite also states that their flashlights are waterproof, but doesn't state much about just how 'waterproof' it is. Does anyone know anything about the Maglite flashlights' claim?

All I want is a flashlight that is roughly the size of the Maglite 2-AA (pocket fittable), solid metal body, waterproof or dunkable or diveable or how ever it's called. Any suggestions?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, :welcome:...second, SF has no such thing as a nemo (I think Princeton Tec or Petzl has the Nemo???)...but, as for your question, check out Pelican lights, or Underwater Kinetics (UK). My Pelican Stealthlite has gone into many water filled caves with me, and still works like a charm! I can also state that my Coast (Coast Lights) 3X nichia submersible is indeed waterproof, tough, small, and has great runtime. Lemme know if you need links to any of these!

Last edited:

Alpha359

Newly Enlightened
First off, :welcome:...second, SF has no such thing as a nemo (I think Princeton Tec or Petzl has the Nemo???)...but, as for your question, check out Pelican lights, or Underwater Kinetics (UK). My Pelican Stealthlite has gone into many water filled caves with me, and still works like a charm! I can also state that my Coast (Coast Lights) 3X nichia submersible is indeed waterproof, tough, small, and has great runtime. Lemme know if you need links to any of these!

Whoops! I meant that Pelican has the Nemo Dive series lights. But I don't prefer those plastic yellow-colored lights. Can I get a link to the Coast Lights? I googled Coast Lights and came up with something about gulf coast lights. Thanks!

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Princeton Tec has some nice lights that will survive more than just a dunking. One that I've used in a pool is the Attitude. It uses 4 AAAs and has 3 LEDs. Not super bright, but it has good runtime, and since it is a twistie light is well sealed. Less than $20 at camping stores or online.

Geoff

carrot

Flashaholic
What are your usage needs? Are you a diver? Or are you a more general user who wants the toughest lights available?

If you are a diver it is obvious that you should go for choices like Pelican, Underwater Kinetics, PrincetonTec, maybe even Barbolight, but if you are not... well a good deal of lights can be submerged and not take on water.

Barbolight may be worth looking at even if you aren't a diver... but IMHO any metal Surefire will handle water just fine in shallow water, as well as Ra, Peak, Arc, McGizmo, and countless others.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Alpha359.

Here are 3 guidelines for you to bear in mind:

1. The only lights that are guaranteed to stay watertight are Dive Lights

2. The IPX8 standard is completely worthless

3. Even a water-tight dive light needs careful maintenance or it will leak.

Good luck with your search.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest getting a light that is intended for diving. IPX-8 doesn't really mean that a light should be used underwater as a dive light. Even though my Eagletac T10L is IPX-8, I wouldn't actually dive with it. It is rated as waterproof at 2 feet of depth for "over 10 hours." Although Eagletac actually states this duration (unlike many other manufacturers), it still isn't a light that I would be comfortable using underwater for extended periods of time.
many manufacturers simply state "IPX-8." While this isn't completely worthless (it does indicate that it is at least dunkable, and is water resistant), many manufacturers don't make it easy to find the specific time that it can remain underwater.

Alpha359

Newly Enlightened
http://www.coastportland.com/. Pelican has some black submersible lights. 95% of "Dive Lights" will be plastic, due to the corrosive properties of salt water on aluminum/metallic finishes.

Yea, I can see why they're made of plastic. But I don't mean to be diving into water constantly year round. It just happens that I go into the water with everything on, usually during the summer when my friends are free to do something crazy. My trusty Maglite has crapped out. So, now I'm looking for an upgrade that would turn on and work even underwater in addition to being rugged. Hence, my wish for a solid metal body light.

What are your usage needs? Are you a diver? Or are you a more general user who wants the toughest lights available?

I'm by no means a diver, I just go into the water a lot and still wearing my clothes and all other stuff, including the flashlight I carry with me in my pocket. During the summer, my friends and I usually pick a random location and go camping and backpacking. Crazy things happening usually mean I go into the water, anything on me that isn't waterproof usually ends up destroyed. I also have one of those large 4-D cell Maglites I carry around as my main light during the night, but I always keep a pocket one on me as a backup. So, I'm probably looking for a rugged, toughest light, but I also want to find one with the added bonus of using it underwater. Bottom line, it has to be able to handle water, hard drops, large drops like over the side of a mountain, and possibly scratch resistant lens. That's my ideal, but I can probably guess that there doesn't exist such a device.

Welcome to CPF, Alpha359.

Here are 3 guidelines for you to bear in mind:

1. The only lights that are guaranteed to stay watertight are Dive Lights

2. The IPX8 standard is completely worthless

3. Even a water-tight dive light needs careful maintenance or it will leak.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks! I might just have to buy a bunch of lights and try them out at the local pool.

The only requirement that you listed was size. 2 x AA size will limit your search quite a bit but AE light make a tough as nails 3 x AA light that might fit your needs. It's pressure rated to 600 feet,
http://www.aelight.com/product.php?category=3&id=158

Yes, pocket size is my preference. It doesn't strickly have to be 2-AA. I want to be able to hold the flashlight in my mouth and keep my hands free if need be. I'm sure I could grip my 4-D cell Maglite with my mouth, but the torque would probably rip out my teeth. I need something of quality and the features I listed, size just has to be sensible.

More suggestions please!! I don't mind what they are!! I may just end up getting a whole bunch that was recommended to me and testing them out.

Thanks a bunch everyone!!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How deep do you usually go?

Most good lights around here should work underwater for a bit as long as you don't go too far and keep the light well maintained.

What's your price range?
Prefered batteries?
Multimode?

:welcome:

groo01

Newly Enlightened
Groo here
Get a Streamlight like a 4AA led.
It is plastic but yellow or black with a base switch .
I have one that dive weight belts have only ruffed up a little,..

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an iTP C7 and took it for a dive for a few mins down to abt 2-3 metres. Absolutely no problems before, during and even after the dive.
Its built quality is excellent, the walls are quite thick.

Output/runtime is good, in line with its competitors, good bang for buck.

Ubi

Newly Enlightened
You could always look at the diving equipment manufacturers for waterproof lights. Look out for backup lights in particular. Few examples:

Salvo RAT series
OMS Vega
Hollis 3 x 3
Diverite
Halcyon Scout
Photon Torpedo

Though some of those listed use C or D cells and plastic bodies.

6speed

Newly Enlightened
For $25.-- Streamlight 2 AA led .5 watt 25 lumens, poly tough, drop rated, safety light.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just so you know . . . .

When flashlights are described as " Virtually Waterproof ",

that actually means:

" as long as you don't do anything silly, like get it Wet ! "

:whistle:

( i wish i were exaggerating, but i'm not )

_

Zdenka

Newly Enlightened
'IPX Rated' reminds me of those "98% fat free" labels on food products. There's a million way for manufacturers to loop hole around it. Take it with a grain of salt! :)

Hi all,

I'm looking for a durable, waterproof flashlight. When I say waterproof, I don't mean surviving in a rain. I'm talking about using it underwater for an extended period of time.

Then, Surefire is your answer. "Surefire has affirmed that all current Surefire lights should be waterproof to about 33 feet/10 meters. Some reviews were posted before Surefire made the affirmation that their lights were watertight to 1 atmosphere depth. Any new Surefire lights you purchase now should be considered waterproof to 33 feet/10 meters" - Flashlightreviews.com

That's one of the major reason for my recent purchase of a Surefire L4. If am spending over $50 for ANY light, then I DEMAND that it's waterproof (not water-resistant). I don't know any other brands that make waterproof lights, all Chinese lights are IPX-8 certified at most (which in my opinion, means nothing since it's merely rain proof):nana:

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Then, Surefire is your answer. "Surefire has affirmed that all current Surefire lights should be waterproof to about 33 feet/10 meters. Some reviews were posted before Surefire made the affirmation that their lights were watertight to 1 atmosphere depth. Any new Surefire lights you purchase now should be considered waterproof to 33 feet/10 meters" - Flashlightreviews.com

That's one of the major reason for my recent purchase of a Surefire L4. If am spending over $50 for ANY light, then I DEMAND that it's waterproof (not water-resistant). I don't know any other brands that make waterproof lights, all Chinese lights are IPX-8 certified at most (which in my opinion, means nothing since it's merely rain proof):nana:

That statement is some sort of misunderstanding, Surefire lights are not waterproof, except some special versions. The rest is just weatherproof.
If you need really waterproof lights, take a look at barbolights, they also have a subforum here.