Truck tire Recommendations

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a Highway all season truck tire.

I am leaning towards the Bridgeston Dueler H/L (D683)

BUT, I am open to anything.

I do mostly street driving, but several times a week I go down a dirt road for a couple of miles each way.

Using original rims, I want to be as high off the ground as possible.

I want good traction and gripping, I slide too much now with the OEM Goodyears that are on my 2001 GMC Sierra Extended cab Pickup truck.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
ewick, thanks, but I already know that site, matter of fact, my link above links to tirerack!

The Michelin LTX M/S and Cross Terrain SUV also look good!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would walk before riding on bridgestone/firestone.

i prefer kelly springfield. a former employer put them on all their delivery and service vehicles, good solid tires. not too pricey either.

i have them on my truck and love them. huge improvement over stock. although just about anything is better than stock.

discount tire has them, they don't have the kelly name on the sidewall but they can show you on the computer what is made by what. the tread designs are very similiar.

ewick

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Sorry about that. That's what I get for not checking.

For what it's worth, I've got a set of Dunlop Radial Rovers right now, which have been really good, but based on what I've seen at tirerack I think my next set will be the same Bridgestones you're looking at.

Good luck!

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
I am really impressed with the Winston Fun and Mud tires on my F150 truck. Great traction in rain or shine on pavement, and handle well off road. I tow a horse trailer around some dirt roads and switched to these after loosing traction once too often off road. A few years ago I was at a horse show and it had been raining. I was most impressed when I slowly made my way (with the horses in tow) around several rigs stuck in the mud.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
It's hard to go wrong with Michelin's. I have no fear of Firestone/Bridgestone. I have driven several 1995-1999 Explorer's and it seemed pretty clear to me why they flipped after blowing a tire. I think they have the squirreliest steering of any SUV on the road.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Dave :

What you said, plus Ford specifying 26 PSI inflation in a tire the should have been run at 35PSI.

Firestone took the blame. Ford should have.

BuddTX: I have Michelin LTX AT on my 2000 Chevrolet extended cab 4X4. 40,000 miles and they still look go for another 40,000. Traction in mud,snow, and rain is great.

The Michelin LTX M&S should also do the job.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Buddtx,

I have a set of LTX M/S (235/75-15) on my '97 Exploder. I too am mostly street/highway (98%) and the tires wear great. I've had them for 67,000 miles and they probably have another 15,000 left.

32 psi and they feel just fine. Much better than the trashy Goodyears that came with the beast.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Depending on your off road use, look at Nokian Tires. They are the only extreme weather rated (aka, mountain and snowflake) all season tire. Hard to find. I have a set on my car - wow. They have truck tires

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't know beans about off-roading, nor getting my truck as high as possible.

I do know that in MY application (1990 F-350 Crew LWB SRW with a Knapheide Service Body and a TommyLift - weighs #8000 before I sit down in it) I will NEVER EVER run any other tire than Michelins!!! I blew up two different brands of rears before going Michelin.

I lie, I do go onto some muddy jobsites and my LTX AS's don't give me any trouble.

Rail

Newly Enlightened
I spent a couple of years working for Town Fair Tire. I went in as a Tire Tech and came out as a Service Manager, I'm very familiar with the truck tires available and I hope I can help with your decision.

You said your vehicle was a 2001 GMC Sierra Ext. cab pickup. Since you didn't mention 4x4, I'm going to guess that you have the 2WD, which means:
235/75R16, or 255/70R16, vs.
245/75R16, or 265/75R16.

If this is the case, and since I don't own a Sierra, I'm not sure the suspension will be the same as the 4x4 model and allow for the full 265/75R16 meats, which would be the tallest option for stock alloy rims. Stock steel rims are narrower, so anything larger than 245/75R16 could rub under full lock. I'm fairly certain the appropriate size tire will work without hassle on your stock rims.

If you could provide your current tire size, 2WD or 4WD, and whether you have stock steel or alloy, I could be more specific in a following post.

I heartily agree that stock goodyear wrangler tires suck. They feel like marshmellow wrapped around your rim. I find the majority of goodyear wranglers, firestones, and uniroyals to be awful. For the price of a decent set, you can buy much better.

Several of the members here have already mentioned Michelin. Michelins are probably the most popular and reliable of any brand... and also one of the most expensive. Price aside, the LTX series and SUV tires are the best daily driver tires you'll find. They balance excellent, are very quiet, handle well, and have admirable grip/treadlife ratio. Michelin rubber in general tends to be on the harder side, so while this provides better treadlife and decent traction at normal temperatures, in cold weather they can get very hard, which will make them ride rough and lose traction.

Michelin LTX M&S - An excellent blend of traction versus street. If you spend most of your time on wet or dry pavement, these will last the longest, and ride best, while still giving you plenty of bite for dirt roads. These will handle mud just as well as the AT, because they share similar shoulder blocks and the lugs on either aren't wide enough to clear. As for rain and snow, the well defined and open/full circumferential channels (OFC channels, to refrain from typing) will dig down and keep the tires from hydroplaning or floating, and they have ample full depth sipes, which combined with this style tread pattern, make for excellent grip even when wet.

Michelin LTX AT - A more agressive pattern for snow and dirt, still decent in rain as well. You'll notice the OFC channels have been staggered, the lugs wider... this makes it louder and less effective at shedding water, but also reduces the amount of gravel and rocks thrown by the tire. OFC channels, such as the M&S, are prone to this. The OFC channels on the M&S, however, are relatively small, and won't be picking up anything large. The ATs while being more aggressive, won't last as long, be as quiet, or ride as smooth.

I consider the Cross Terrain SUV tires to be purely all season street tires. They just don't have the bite on sediment, though they are excellent on pavement. The A/S is also geared more towards street & treadlife, losing the beefy siped pattern of the M&S.

BFGs - Alot of people swear by them, and they do look good. Michelin makes BFG, and Uniroyal, and you'll find that you can't any of get these on sale except through manufacturer sponsored rebates. If you wanted something more aggressive than the Michelins, these are it. However, the rubber tends to wear faster, and they are all quite expensive.

BFG A/T - Purely a dirt, sand, and gravel tire. Will also work well in snow, but not enough lug seperation for mud, and no OFC channels to speak of. Grips well on pavement, but the interrupted center lugs and wide staggered shoulder blocks make this a very loud tire, and they tend to wear quickly. They do look good though.

BFG M/T - Known affectionately in my shop as "banshees". You really have to try to get a louder, choppier set of meats. Excellent for off-road, this pattern clears well, but the rubber is too soft, you'll be buying new tires quickly.

BFG Longtrail TAs - Large, gaping OFCs that are notorious for throwing rocks (and fairly large ones). Similar to the LTX M&S, these are primarily street tires, with decent grip for dirt, snow, and rain. If you have decent mudguards the rocks are less noticable.

Kelly Springfield - Decent tires, and more than likely, at a decent price. These strike me as a great value tire, and my boss used to run them on our delivery fleet. AWRs in the summer, MSRs in the winter.

Kelly Safari AWR - Distinctive block and solid shoulder make this a great tire for top-heavy vehicles. Corners very well, makes a great all season with enough tread to handle dirt, rain, and light snow.

Kelly Safari MSR - Heavy lug pattern, wears faster, loud (but not like the BFGs!). Good for heavy snow, mud, etc.

Kelly Safari SUV - as with the michelin SUV, a pattern for trucks that stay on the road, better tread life and traction.

Yokohama H/T - very tame, street all season

Yokohama Geolander A/T (II) - my personal treads. They have a unique block design, with solid shoulders for support and cornering. The channels are wide and staggered, but not enough to be loud or throw rocks. They are well siped, and have decent OFC channels. There are better tires out there, but if you want an aggressive tire for snow that makes a great daily driver, this is my choice. They have very competitive treadlife, and most tire shops get them at a substantial discount. My 30x9.5R15s cost me $70 each. I also find them very attractive.

Yokohama Geolander M/Ts - Directional Mud tires for prices that give Mud swampers and mickey-ts well deserved competition.

Bridgestone-Firestone... Many people prefer the Duelers for their trucks, I find most firestone, and the better bridgestones lacking. The price usually isn't that great, and some of them wear quickly/unevenly. Dunlops by far had the worst reputation for hops and poor balance for a street tire, but second would be firestone/bridgestone. Having said that, they do seem to be a popular tire, and the bridgestone is certainly more robust and well engineered than the firestone counterpart.

If you have the chance, take a look at the different tires side by side, sometimes it makes all the difference. Also if you regularly carry any load or your vehicle seems sloshy, the extra money spent on higher load & speed ratings is money well spent. Be sure you're at least buying a tire that can handle the weight and performance envelope of your vehicle, and keep them well inflated.

As an aside, Ford used higher load rating tires underinflated to soften the ride of the explorers. Actually, you'll find this is true with many other Fords, except explorers and bronco IIs were poorly engineered to begin with. The engineers who designed them said they were dangerously top heavy before they were released, and Ford's test drivers were not allowed to drive them before they had been fitted with outriggers. These same engineers were payed to keep quiet during the Bronco II crisis, then again to lie under oath concerning the explorers. Ford was using the underinflated stiffer tire trick to give their cars a softer ride... a dangerous trick for an already dangerous situation. Then, when a certain batch of Firestones failed to meet their safety factor (which Ford was relying on, and should not have been) the tires failed, and the trucks rolled. Had the tires been properly inflated, the tires more than likely would have been fine.

Back on topic, having had excellent experiences with the Michelin LTX M&S and Yokohama Geolander A/T, I'd have to recommend these. The M&S is the better tire for your description, but the Geo A/T is much cheaper and more aggressive. I hope some of you found this useful, and if anyone would like a specific opinion on a tire or would like me to go into more detail, you can PM me or post your questions, and I'll be happy to reply. There's just simply to much info on tire design and characteristics to squeeze into one post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Good luck!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Rail,
Did you see my recomendation for Nokian? What do you think of that one?

The ONLY problems I've seen with them

1)a BIT noisy, but then again, they are an agressive tread
2)EXPENSIVE -Michelin? Expensive? The nokian's where over $100/tire for my SATURN

http://www.nokiantires.com/

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rail,

WHAT AN AWESOME POST!

MANY MANY MANY THANKS!

I had a friend years ago, who started out in a re-tread shop, and worked his way up to manager of a fleet firestone shop, then got his CPA and was promoted to coroporate. He was the only person in corporate who had any real knowledge of tires! So I learned years ago, that tires are not just black things that you need on your car.

I live in Houston TX, and see mostly street and highway driving, although several times a week, I walk my dog in an area that requires me to drive on several miles of dirt road, and sometimes I do go further in the Truck.

I have the upgraded Alloy wheels, it is a extended cab, short bed, 2WD.

What I do NOT like about the stock Goodyear Wranglers that came with the truck, is that, after 30,000 miles, the tread is just about gone, and almost from day one, I felt I was not getting enough traction. I would easily slide, or squeel at a fast start (but not hot rodding it). Often times I find myself sliding on dry pavement, but very often, on wet roads.

I NEVER EVER EVER EVER (really) ever see snow or ice. OK, maybe one day in the next 4 years, it might get down to freezing. BUT, Houston DOES have a lot of rain. AND HOUSTON GETS DAMN HOT!!!! Sounds like the hard rubber of the Michelin's might be a good idea. Hate paying the price however.

I will get you the exact numbers later, on the tire.

EDIT - Current tire is P235/75R16 - I would like the largest widest tire I can safely put on my existing rims.

Michelin looks like the safest/most expensive choice. BUT, I am into value too.

If an expert said that A CERTAIN OTHER BRAND of tires would give you Michelin like performance, but for about half as long as equivalent Michelin tires would, but they would cost half as much, I would be interested in them too.

Oh, two other edit's Rail:

I rarely carry anything in my Truck Bed. If I do, it is for a short time, less than one day.

Also, I have no problem with higher inflated tires. Right now, max PSI is 44, I ride at 40.

I will take safety and better MPG's and longer tread life over a slightly more comfortable ride anyday!

Maybe this information might help you make a recommendation or comments to me.

Thanks again!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rail,

My current tire size is:
P235/75R16

I want the tallest widest tire I can put on my existing rims.

I edited my post above with additional information.

Thanks again!

Hey, one more question.
What do you think of the comments and ratings on tirerack.com about the Yokohama Geolandar H/T

Rail

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the kind comments! I'm usually content to browse, but every so often I find a topic I can contribute to.

KC2IXE - Yes I did pick up on your mention of Nokians. Though I have never owned a set, the Hakks were our best selling car snow tire for the time I was there. The Nokian Hakkapeliitta (yes, that's the correct spelling... lol), Michelin Artic Alpine, and Toyo Observe were considered the best choices for their price brackets.

Aside from Hakks, I'm not very experienced with them, and I had to check their website to find out about their truck tires. I've never even seen a set of these in person. My general impression of Nokians is that they're excellent all season tires, directional, and geared towards cold weather and rally applications. I'm not sure why your particular nokians were so expensive... are you running low pros or had them special ordered? Certain tire sizes are just more expensive, especially styles that offer higher speed and load ratings. As for their truck tires, considering BuddTX is in Texas and rarely sees snow or cold weather, I would be hesistant to recommend them. Snow tires need a softer or stickier composition to stay flexible in the colder temperatures. This same feature also makes them wear faster on warm, dry pavement. The warmer it is, the faster they will wear and sloppier they will handle.

BuddTX - With alloy rims I'm almost positive you can squeeze the 265/75R16 in your wells, and they will get you as far off the ground as you can get with stock eqipment. With the larger tire comes higher cost, greater parasitic loss, decreased gas mileage, and less downforce per square inch of contact patch. However, this also means a beefier lug size for a given pattern, greater tread depth, and a higher load rating. Usually the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

After reviewing, I'm going to stick to my guns. I'd recommend the Michelin LTX M&S if you have the cash and don't mind spending it. If you check out BJs, Costco, or Sams, they sometimes have sales on their Michelin rolling stock. Even if they don't, find a tire wharehouse outfit near you, most of them will beat any price you can find by 5%. Also, such places usually have 60,000 tires on hand at any time, and they'll let you browse the racks and compare tires first hand. Seeing the tires first hand is a real bonus. Most will also test fit your tires just to help you decide, without any cost or obligation to buy.

If you don't want to spend the cash, or you'd like something a bit more aggressive but street friendly, I'd seriously check out Yokohama tires in general, but especially the Geolander A/T II. TireRack prices listed below: 265/75R16s

Yokohama Geolander A/T II (D) for $90 (includes free 30 day trial, and 40,000 mile warranty).
Michelin LTX M&S (E) for $156. Longest lasting and best balance for your application. Michelin keeps their prices high, so it will be hard to find lower prices.

I'd suggest comparing these tires and reading the reviews at tirerack, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A%2FT+Plus+II&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=675SR6GEOATOWLPL2&fromCompare1=yes
also http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=11 and michelin's website (currently down, so I can't post the link, sorry).

Any local warehouse (not retailer... ugh, might as well buy new goodyears from the dealer *sigh*) should be able to beat this price with shipping, or at least match it. As an added bonus you get a break on your mounting, balancing, lifetime road hazard, changeovers , rotations, and alignments. If it's been a while, or your last set of tires wore out scalloped or excessive wear to one side... get an alignment. Too many people blame the tire for not lasting when in fact it was the vehicle being out of spec and the tires not being rotated regularly (6-12K minimum). Even bad shocks will put deep scallops into your tires from braking.

I hope I'm not coming across as a salesman or product groupie in any fashion, it's simply these are the two products that I feel confident recommending based on your criteria. The M&S represents the top end, and the Geo the best value. If you come across a better deal on the bridgestones, michelins, bfgs, etc, then of course that might change my perception. However, I'm confident these will be the highest quality tire at the lowest price. The majority of owners rank them as equal or better than BFGs and bridgestones in traction, ride comfort, noise and treadlife. They will not last as long or be as smooth as michelins, but they are $60 cheaper each. I have the Geolanders on my V8 T15 GMC Jimmy (4x 30x9.5R15 C), and LTX M&S (225/75R16 E) on my father's Dodge Van. I could post some pics if you're interested. I stand by both, just wanted to let you know I put my money where my mouth is.

There are a couple brands we used to sell as value tires, Avon Rangers, which are similar to Kellys (previously mentioned), Mastercraft (affectionately known as mastercraps, made by cooper, good reputation) Coursers which basically look like BFGs, but much cheaper. I'll try and dig up some info on them, but it's getting late tonight. Again, hope this helps, and questions are always welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Any rate, very interested to know what you finally decide, and what you think! Keep us informed, thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened
BuddTX:

If you change tire diameter ( to a larger diameter) you will need to have your vehicles computer reprogrammed for the larger size tire. The computer uses information from the rotation of the tires to control the performance of the engine.

Your dealer should be able to reprogram the computer,but it might be a good idea to check with him before you replace your tires.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, another very detailed post! That probably took a while to write. I was also adding more info to my posts to give you more info, so if you want, see if I posted anything after you read my posts.

Here is what I am thinking. I currently have 31,000 on my Goodyear Wranglers. My passanger front tire had a flat, and the sidewall was damaged, so the flat cannot be repaired.

Before the flat, I knew that I was going to have to purchase some new tires in the next couple of months.

I am going to buy 1 new tire now, so what I am probably going to do, is to get a new tire, and keep it as a spare, and still ride on the current tires. Give myself about 2 or so months to save up, and buy what I really want to have.

Where to buy? Well, three different people, who I all trust, have different opinions on where to buy tires:

My Dad, has had good luck with Discount Tires

My Brother in Law, likes Michleins from Sams Club

A friend who is an avid price and research shopper, has purchased tires from Tire Rack.com

I am going to check into all three, but I am leaning towards discount tire, as they offer free rotation, road hazard, lifetime balanceing etc on all their tires, and are two minutes from my house.

However, if I can get a 800+ set of tires for 500 or so, installed, it is worth considering tirerack.com.

I think it is down to the Michelin and Yokohama tires.

Thanks again!

Your advice comes acoss as advice from a very knowledgable professional, experienced person.