Surefire G2LED or Z2 Combatlight?

madj1

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this has been asked or discussed, but I did not see the comparison of the 2 anywhere. I am about to deploy to Afghanistan and I get to choose between the Surefire G2LED or Z2 Combatlight, and I do not know which is better. I see the the LED on is 80lumen(12 hours) vs the Z2 65lumens(1 hour) which makes me think the G2LED is probably the better choice, but I don't see much talk about it. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

EDIT: Price is not a concern as I will be given it. I just have to choose one or the other.

Last edited:

Niconical

Enlightened
The G2 LED will give you full power for only about 4 hours I think it is, maybe 4.5, not sure, then diminishing over the next 8 hours down to near nothing. Even that though is still a lot more than the 1 hour of the Z2. The difference is in the color of the beam. The Z2, being a bulb rather than LED, has a much 'warmer' tint to it, better for outdoors and distinguishing colors.

If you're leaning towards LED for the runtime, but the Z2 for the form, there's always the Z2 LED :)

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Hello and welcome to CPF.

You can always get the P60L(LED drop in) which is in the G2LED and put it in a Z2. Some differences are that the Z2 is a metal light while the G2 is a plastic called nitrolon. But be advised this is not your average plastic it is very strong. Another difference is that the Z2 has the rubber grip for easier pistol shooting. If you like the grip and decide to go the G2 route there is the G2Z or G2LED seen here http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main...=6&prrfnbr=24186&sesent=0,0&search_id=1372906 Hope that helped im sure there are more differences I just cannot think of right now and other memebers will fill you in.

I prefer the LED for longer runtime.

Now ofcourse you can always look into after market P60(type of dropin that fits surefires) dropins. Look here for some https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217252 seems as though the best of the best is a malkoff M60 just about every member has one. I know it can be very very overwhelming, ask any more questions and we will he happy to assit you.

Last edited:

madj1

Newly Enlightened
Those are just the 2 I have a choice between. I actually have the older 6P which is what the Z2 seems to be equal too, correct me if I am wrong, with the only difference being the tactile grip. I was more leaning to the G2 because I have a 6P, I am just wanting to know which would be the best light of the 2.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Get the Surefire Z2 or even C2, heck a 6P will do just fine too, then go to Malkoff devices and get an M60W or an M60WL. The M60WL is not as bright but it's bright enough for most any job and the runtime is quite a bit longer.

Not the cheapest option but it's certainly one of the most reliable. In your position I would certainly lean towards dependability!
Your life could possibly depend on this light, do you want to go cheap?!

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Z2 is all metal combatlight with a xenon 6v lamp.

The G2LED is a nitrolon body, tail, and metal bezel.

If you are going to need the most rugid possible light I would go with the LED route. The Z2 design I would prefer and just install a M60 or any Malkoff drop-in. When your life depends on it get the best.:D

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are just the 2 I have a choice between. I actually have the older 6P which is what the Z2 seems to be equal too, correct me if I am wrong, with the only difference being the tactile grip.

You're correct the Z2 is basically a 6p with a different body between the same tailcaps and heads as the 6p. The body is slimmer and then the rubber grip rings are added. I have one and really like the grip. I prefer it to the 6P.

Both the G2 and Z2 accept the P60 lamp assembly (an incandescent bulb) and the either the stock P60L LED module or one of many after market ones. The incandescent module offers some benefits in outdoors color contrast, but with much shorter runtimes. An LED module gives you longer runtimes but what is generally seen as less effective color contrast outdoors. There are "warm" LED modules that fall somewhere in between. The LED module will typically be more shock resistant than the incandescent module and won't just "burn out" during the course of normal use. Either light will accept either kind of module. The G2's plastic construction is less effective for the highest performance aftermarket LED modules because it can't transfer the internal heat as well. (The P60L module it comes with is designed to reduce output when it heats up.)

The G2's plastic body has an advantage in the cold because the plastic doesn't draw heat from your skin. You'll typically be wearing gloves anyway so it's less of an issue. It's also very light...but then the Z2 is also lighter than the 6P and the difference is small.

If I was getting on the plane with you my choice would be:
- G2L if you don't want to spend any more money. Longer runtime means less batteries to hump up the mountain. Runtime and module durability beats out incandescent light advantages.
- Z2 if you are willing to buy an LED drop in, or your mission doesn't make battery resupply and carrying a spare incandescent bulb an issue. I like the grip options and heatsinking for LED modules.

Good luck and good hunting!

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
Are you just starting out or is this an addition to the collection

Starting out: G2Led - cheaper, lighter, LED for longer life and durability, good platform with metal head for later emitter upgrades.

Adding: Z2 - has grip rings, all metal, similar to G2 is upgradable.

Personally I'd meet in the middle with the G2Z. I just bought one and it's now my favorite 2 cell light.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
for the price....get both G2LED for General lighting and a regular G2 incan for tactical purposes....

if you look around you get both for under 100 bucks

remember: 1 is none and 2 is 1.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was a C2 on the list??? JK...but, i would HIGHLY recommend the extra cost (or near same if purchased here on the marketplace). Knowing that you will be "using" your light, and not just playing with it, the clip on the C2 will greatly enhance the carry options, and allow you to "quickly" secure your light on some molle webbing with out having to try to get it in a pouch, etc., or allow you to secure it in your cargo pockets. Plus, your C2-HA will probably gome back looking alot nicer than the black Z2 or nitrolon G2 (they're both great lights, btw, but I honestly think the C2 will serve your purpose better). The C2 also has the rubber "combat grip", and is easier to hold than the Z2, as it has 4 square sides, as opposed to the Z2's 2 square sides, or the G2Z's roud body. They tend to wear into your fingers after awhile.

I just back from Iraq, and the clip on the C2 was real nice to keep the light from getting in an awkward position (BDU's/ACU's/ABU's have bigger pockets than civilians are used to), and it was real nice to be able to just "clip it" to my body armour. Also, +1 on the Malkoff (although the surefire P60L will do in a pinch). I also recommend an FM35 Red flip-up filter, when light and noise discipline is required.

Hope I was able to help...be safe and God Speed...oh, and :welcome:

EDIT: Sorry, just read your "EDIT"...get the Z2, sell it on the market place, and get a C2-HA! But I would go with the Z2 if that wasn't an option.

Last edited:

Superdave

Enlightened
I have both and if i was going where you are i'd pick the Z2.. but an aftermarket LED dropin would help it out. The Malkoff M60 is nice but from what i've seen (side by side comparisons) it's only slightly better than the cheaper LED dropins that you can find for half the price.

Surefire offers this as well: http://www.surefire.com/Z2-LED-Holster-Kit

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Z2 host -VS- G2 host:
I say go with the Z2. Its aluminum body conducts heat much better than the nitrolon, this will allow you to upgrade to a high current LED module when you get to that point (and every CPF'er eventually feels the itch to upgrade). It also hasa rubber grip ring thats easier to cigar hold. Although the G2 is more drop/impact resistant.

P60 incan -VS- P60LED
I am not a big fan of the P60LED (this is the LED module used in the G2L). Its ~80 Lumens of blue/pale tint that doesn't do a very good job at rendering surface texture and color details. The P60LED has a thermally controlled current regulator that dims output if temperatures reach a certain point. I'd hate to have that function activate in a firefight.

I may be in the minority... but I would rather use the 65Lumen P60-Xenon lamp than the 85Lumen P60L. Just remember to carry a backup module. **edit** IMHO Lumen output does not always translate to the lights ability to illuminate and reveal things in the dark.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you already have the 6P and don't mind carrying two lights, I'd probably get the Z2. Still, I've never compared the P60L with the P60 side-by-side; I did compare it to the Aviator and remember being underwhelmed. Nothing wrong with it, just a failure to excel.

Will you be carrying a sidearm?

Mr_Black

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie on this forum and just getting into flashlights but I have some experience with both the G2LED and the Z2 Combatlight. I carried the Z2 when I was deployed to Iraq and it worked great. It was the brightest light that I owned (at the time) and absolutely reliable. I kept a red filter on it so I could use it as a dual purpose light. The main reason that I chose the Z2 was that I prefer using the Rogers (syringe) style of holding a flashlight with a pistol. It really gives me a better grip on my pistol while maintaining the light shining at my target. If you aren't issued a pistol or prefer the Harries (crossed wrist) style of holding a flashlight with a pistol, then there isn't a real difference between the way you use the Z2 and the P6 that you already own. They are the same light and only differ in the body design with the rubber rings.

However, I've recently discovered Malkoff Devices and upgraded my Z2 with a M60 drop in LED. This upgrade makes a world of difference (much, much brighter, longer run time, no bulbs to worry about breaking) and I wish it had been around when I was overseas.

Hope this helps. Good luck over there and stay safe.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Given your scenario:

+1 G2L. The polymer is more shock resistant and easier to use in the cold imho, the LED won't burn out or break if dropped, and the LED has a SIGNIFICANTLY longer run time.

I don't know what you will be doing there, but it is worth noting that if you are going to be running a IR filter on the light, the LED won't be visible through the filter when using NADS etc. Also, if you aren't issued with better gear you can buy an aftermarket mount for the g2l. Even if you have to duct tape the g2l to a rifle ;) it will take punishment well and above over the Z2 (mainly the LED vs incandescent).

If it were me I would take the G2L, buy a red tip off filter for it, and get a spares carrier with 6 batteries and a p60 or p61 bulb on your second line gear.

Just my 2 cents. Godspeed.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another question for OP: do you intend to use nightvision?

Modern LEDs won't work with IR filters.

Edit: Runtime plot for P60L is on the 2009 Surefire catalog, page 40.

Last edited:

Force Attuned

Enlightened
I am a big fan of the G2Z. I use mine in conjunction with a Malkoff M60L LED drop-in. I prefer the nitrolon finish to that of the Z2.

I do however, look forward to the release of the Surefire A2Z - the addition of a flood output is a great idea.