HDS Systems        

Thread: Advantages/disadvantages of crenellated bezels

Icon15 Advantages/disadvantages of crenellated bezels

Hi,

I've always thought that crenulated bezels were stupid for the most part. They are hard on the pocket, add length, and add nothing in my opinion. I mean, really, is someone seriously going to defend him/herself with a three inch light and a strike bezel? I'd rather have pepper spray if the shtf.

Does anyone actually think they are a positive addition to a light?

What are your thoughts?

Blue

Default Re: strike bezels?

might want to edit the title to something less provocative.

but I like crenulated bezels because if you set the light down on a flat table or something of the sort,
    you know if it's on or not.

Default Re: Are strike bezels (crenulations) just stupid?

Sensible (not Klingon) strike bezels serve for more than just impact.

Should be locked in no time.

But yea.... I am not a big big fan but theres not toooo many lights out there with them. Will it stop me from buying the light? No.
    Last edited by Cosmo7809; 04-29-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    Its better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

yeah.. but one can always hope for a decent discussion.... ..

it's disheartening to see these posters just come up with something like this out of the blue.

Perhaps 'irrelevant' might be a better word. But in any event, my humble 2 cents worth is that some people like them for aesthetic reasons, others may believe that it serves a self defence purpose, to each his own.

I personally would not want a strike bezel as (a) it adds length (b) it adds weight (c) it may tear the fabric in my pockets or scratch the stuff in my bag (although i could just put it in a holster)

That being said, if there was a light i really liked and it came with a strike bezel, i would probably get it but if the strike bezel is an option, then i would opt out of getting a strike bezel.

Cheers.
    兵久而国利者,未之有也。

the bezel on my Surefire 6P Defender has come in very handy at my job. I use the crenelations as a way to hook the light in the back of a slot machine to light up the interior. Due to gaming regulations that's not something i can take a picture of and post on the internet though...

It's also nice to use for stabbing through drywall.
    If it ain't bright, It ain't right!

Not always. The strike bezel available for the Fenix tactical lights is a bit much (though it would be damn sexy to sharpen the tips), but shallow crenulations are, if nothing else, good for letting you see that the light is still on if you set it down tail-up.

Flashaholic

Crenulated bezels...

adds protection for aspherical lens;

allows light to pass if you put your light bezel down on a flat surface;

as for their self defense use, they aren't as useful as a gun but I think they would work much better than a kind word if things got ugly.

What I like about them is that it makes the front end protrude from the glass and makes it harder to get your fingerprints on the lens.

I'm sure it can work in a fight. We're talking about normal strike bezels and not those crazy ones. Pepper spray is alright but it works both ways.

Flashaholic*

They are not for me personally, but I would hesitate to call them stupid. I am sure that there are things that I am partial to and find good uses for that someone else may think "stupid". That does notmake them any less useful to myself, no matter someone elses opinion. A lot of people must find them useful, they are rather popular, and if they did not sell, they would not be made. So, I respect their opinion enough not to say something is stupid.
    Lee

Life is too important to be taken seriously: Oscar Wilde

Flashaholic*

To each his own. Some people will swear by them others will not like them for whatever reasons. Its pretty much up to the buyer, if you don't like them there are plenty more lights to choose from. The lego ability of the SF is what makes them so versatile, you can swap parts (ie the bezel) from crenelated or non crenelated depending on the situation.

I did not realize that this was such a sensitive audience, or that there was a lack of tongue-in-cheek humor.

Why don't you let me change the title to "Are strike bezels practical, other than for sitting your light down lense first, to know it is on".

The point of the post was to discuss the marketing feature of a strike bezel.

Blue

and on that note, I'll say...
    "Aesthetics, IMO"...

Super Moderator

Default Re: Advantages/disadvantages of crenellated bezels

Bluehinder… the problem is not that there is a sensitive audience here, or one lacking in humor, but that the provocative title you chose for this thread showed a disrespect, bordering on contempt, for about half of that audience.

It is to the credit of the participants so far that your antagonistic stance in this matter has failed to elicit a correspondingly belligerent response.

I have changed the thread title in the hope that the thread will continue along civilised and respectful lines. However, this is a divisive subject which on previous occasions has led to conflict. That is not to happen here, or the thread will close. Discussions about how to injure other people with strike bezels are also disallowed.

Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by jp2515 View Post
    To each his own. Some people will swear by them others will not like them for whatever reasons. Its pretty much up to the buyer, if you don't like them there are plenty more lights to choose from. The lego ability of the SF is what makes them so versatile, you can swap parts (ie the bezel) from crenelated or non crenelated depending on the situation.
    +1 I'm with JP2515....to each his own.

For me, I like a smooth stainless bezel on my EDCs since it provides an added measure of durability when dropped, and also makes for a nice finishing touch. I've accidentially dropped an aluminum head as well as an aluminum head with stainless steel bezel on to concrete (by accident, of course!) and found that the stainless is barely scratched while the aluminum takes a decent divot. I don't mind honest finish wear, but I don't like to have "drop" damage on the head/bezel that would prevent me from removing glass & reflector to upgrade emitters/drivers in the future. I treasure my Aleph heads and HDS EDC lights, and the stainless bezels are like an insurance policy for me.

9x23

Flashaholic*

Advantages:

My E2d just plain looks cool!

If SHTF it is better than nothing. If you can swing a hammer you can use this for self defense. Its the same motion except for the angle of the wrist.

Disadvantages:

You need a holster or sheath to carry them around.

Knucklehead friends think they are screw drivers.
    Last edited by kelmo; 04-30-2009 at 10:23 AM.

I carried my e2d incan in my front pocket for a year, and suffered no consequences, except a scratched light from table ends and such. Since then I've bought a holster for it, and now I use the same v20 holster for my e2dl. The teeth never bothered me.
    -Mike
    "Blinded by me, You can't see a thing!"

hmmmm, i jus got a solarforce a001 attach to my old sf z2 .... looks great! well .... to each man's own meat ,,,,

i mus say, it do look more fiecre than me , looks can be deciving ....

i read somewhere that a crenellated bezel had infact saved someone's life when he fall into the ice water ... then he use it to act as a ice pick to rescue himself out of the freezing waters, i think its from this year SF catalogue.

Flashaholic*

I do not much care for crenulated bezels. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehinder View Post
    Hi,

I've always thought that crenulated bezels were stupid for the most part. They are hard on the pocket, add length, and add nothing in my opinion. I mean, really, is someone seriously going to defend him/herself with a three inch light and a strike bezel? I'd rather have pepper spray if the shtf.

Does anyone actually think they are a positive addition to a light?

What are your thoughts?

Blue
    I could see a strike bezel being advantageous with proper combat training. Of course its not as ideal as a fixed blade, pepper spray, or firearm... but I don't think they are intended to be the primary option in the first place.

For me its not a deal breaker either way.
    Last edited by kramer5150; 05-02-2009 at 03:51 PM.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

When using my lights I rarely if ever set them down with the bezel down. Its usually tailstand or lying on its side. I actually had the bezels on my PD-S and Novatac flattened (excellent work by Kromeke) because the crenelations while not severe were still harder on my pockets. I also sold my Al Bitz for the same reason. Overall I think that crenelation can add a nice aesthetic but I find they do not add any functionality in my day to day uses.
    I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Not all crenellations are aggressive looking strike bezels that will tear and snag things they come into contact with (whether wallboard, pockets, or "softer" materials.) Strictly as a matter of form not function this bezel is more pleasing to my eye than if it was smooth.

Of course you mostly seemed to want to talk about the more aggressive of their brothers. By reducing the surface area being contacted initially more force will be delivered per unit of area being impacted (with the same total force being applied). That's going to make it more likely that the material being impacted is going to be overwhelmed at the point of impact. You can probably expect that in many cases you'll see more penetration on the impacted target.

That's very similar to what the thinking is in the design of Armor Piercing rounds used to defeat main battle tanks. Terminal effects are only part of the equation though. To defeat a tank you have to both hit it and produce a desirable result from that hit.

A strike bezel increases the odds of a beneficial self defense result given a hit. It's on an improvised weapon that may or may not offer a reasonable chance of successful hits (depending on training and other individual factors.) If the odds of hitting with it are low the effect of a hit may not matter. Carrying it involves costs - increased size, weight, clothing wear, etc. Both the chance of it being applied correctly, and the costs, are issues that are very much dependent on personal factors and weightings. Other options for self defense will also be heavily weighted by personal factors, and wildly differing laws.

Blue you ask if I think they are a positive addition to a light. The more important question is are they a positive addition to a light carried by which person, in what circumstances. I don't think we will ever come to a consensus. The only consensus that truly matters is the consensus of one - the one carrying the light. I don't choose to myself. I won't say that I can't envision times when they make sense.

I have several on small lights: 6P, 9N. I have trained with a kubaton, so to me, it's the same...weapons strike and then reaction strike. The blunt end will still put the hurt on, but with the added teeth, you get more bite.

Now before I go to that level of force, the force being used against me must be assaultive in nature. If it's just a normal arrest with minimal resistance, I can use OC.
    And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
    Isaiah 6:1-8

One nice feature is that it gives you something to grip when you're opening or operating your light.

For the time being, I EDC two things:

Benchmade mini-Griptilian
    SureFire Single Mode E2DL

I'm a Reserve at the local PD and while I'm waiting to turn 21, I have them both as normal, EDC items, and also tools to sort of do my job.

I was asked to come to big events in case mayhem errupted to help quell anything and when I go into a store or something I would personally do what I could if something bad happened.

Other than my unique situation, I have never found a need for crenellated bezels.

However, on my E2DL, they are not big enough to matter as far as bothering me in my pocket.

The length of the light would cause more of a problem not the length of the bezel.

The others out there that are huge, I would find absolutely no real world use except to defend yourself if the option to run isn't there.

Fighting is something I have done a lot of. I can assure you that the only thing crenelated bezels will add to a fight is extra blood. Not enough to be debilitating or lethal, just enough to make a real nasty mess. There are too many blood born diseases in this day and age for me to want any part of that. Otherwise your standard 2 cell or 3 cell tactical light it going to do a perfectly fine job concentrating force on a small, very hard area. It will also produce cuts depending on what is struck, but not as many. Even though they won't add much utility crenelations will add a lot to the looks which can be bad if you're just trying to take your EDC through one of the inane "security checkpoints" popping up in the victim disarmament zones which are so popular these days.

I do think they make some sense as a feature to tell if your light is on or off, or just to see where it is, if you put it down somewhere.

Super Moderator

I wrote this in post #15 above:

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    Discussions about how to injure other people with strike bezels are also disallowed...
    Despite that injunction, the discussion has veered inexorably in that direction.

That is why threads on this and similar topics invariably end up being closed. This one is now similarly discredited and closed.
    Resistance is futile...