Advantages/disadvantages of crenellated bezels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluehinder

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've always thought that crenulated bezels were stupid for the most part. They are hard on the pocket, add length, and add nothing in my opinion. I mean, really, is someone seriously going to defend him/herself with a three inch light and a strike bezel? I'd rather have pepper spray if the shtf.

Does anyone actually think they are a positive addition to a light?

What are your thoughts?

Blue

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: strike bezels?

might want to edit the title to something less provocative.

but I like crenulated bezels because if you set the light down on a flat table or something of the sort,
you know if it's on or not.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: Are strike bezels (crenulations) just stupid?

Sensible (not Klingon) strike bezels serve for more than just impact.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened

Should be locked in no time. :popcorn:

But yea.... I am not a big big fan but theres not toooo many lights out there with them. Will it stop me from buying the light? No.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

yeah.. but one can always hope for a decent discussion.... :sigh:..

it's disheartening to see these posters just come up with something like this out of the blue.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perhaps 'irrelevant' might be a better word. But in any event, my humble 2 cents worth is that some people like them for aesthetic reasons, others may believe that it serves a self defence purpose, to each his own.

I personally would not want a strike bezel as (a) it adds length (b) it adds weight (c) it may tear the fabric in my pockets or scratch the stuff in my bag (although i could just put it in a holster)

That being said, if there was a light i really liked and it came with a strike bezel, i would probably get it but if the strike bezel is an option, then i would opt out of getting a strike bezel.

Cheers.

Superdave

Enlightened

the bezel on my Surefire 6P Defender has come in very handy at my job. I use the crenelations as a way to hook the light in the back of a slot machine to light up the interior. Due to gaming regulations that's not something i can take a picture of and post on the internet though...

It's also nice to use for stabbing through drywall. ;)

deusexaethera

Banned

Not always. The strike bezel available for the Fenix tactical lights is a bit much (though it would be damn sexy to sharpen the tips), but shallow crenulations are, if nothing else, good for letting you see that the light is still on if you set it down tail-up.

flip

Enlightened

Crenulated bezels...

adds protection for aspherical lens;

allows light to pass if you put your light bezel down on a flat surface;

as for their self defense use, they aren't as useful as a gun but I think they would work much better than a kind word if things got ugly.

polkiuj

Enlightened

What I like about them is that it makes the front end protrude from the glass and makes it harder to get your fingerprints on the lens.

I'm sure it can work in a fight. We're talking about normal strike bezels and not those crazy ones. Pepper spray is alright but it works both ways.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are not for me personally, but I would hesitate to call them stupid. I am sure that there are things that I am partial to and find good uses for that someone else may think "stupid". That does notmake them any less useful to myself, no matter someone elses opinion. A lot of people must find them useful, they are rather popular, and if they did not sell, they would not be made. So, I respect their opinion enough not to say something is stupid.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast

To each his own. Some people will swear by them others will not like them for whatever reasons. Its pretty much up to the buyer, if you don't like them there are plenty more lights to choose from. The lego ability of the SF is what makes them so versatile, you can swap parts (ie the bezel) from crenelated or non crenelated depending on the situation.

Bluehinder

Newly Enlightened

I did not realize that this was such a sensitive audience, or that there was a lack of tongue-in-cheek humor.

Why don't you let me change the title to "Are strike bezels practical, other than for sitting your light down lense first, to know it is on".

The point of the post was to discuss the marketing feature of a strike bezel.

Blue

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

and on that note, I'll say...
"Aesthetics, IMO"... :p

DM51

Flashaholic
Bluehinder… the problem is not that there is a sensitive audience here, or one lacking in humor, but that the provocative title you chose for this thread showed a disrespect, bordering on contempt, for about half of that audience.

It is to the credit of the participants so far that your antagonistic stance in this matter has failed to elicit a correspondingly belligerent response.

I have changed the thread title in the hope that the thread will continue along civilised and respectful lines. However, this is a divisive subject which on previous occasions has led to conflict. That is not to happen here, or the thread will close. Discussions about how to injure other people with strike bezels are also disallowed.

9x23

Enlightened

To each his own. Some people will swear by them others will not like them for whatever reasons. Its pretty much up to the buyer, if you don't like them there are plenty more lights to choose from. The lego ability of the SF is what makes them so versatile, you can swap parts (ie the bezel) from crenelated or non crenelated depending on the situation.

+1:thumbsup: I'm with JP2515....to each his own.

For me, I like a smooth stainless bezel on my EDCs since it provides an added measure of durability when dropped, and also makes for a nice finishing touch. I've accidentially dropped an aluminum head as well as an aluminum head with stainless steel bezel on to concrete (by accident, of course!) and found that the stainless is barely scratched while the aluminum takes a decent divot. I don't mind honest finish wear, but I don't like to have "drop" damage on the head/bezel that would prevent me from removing glass & reflector to upgrade emitters/drivers in the future. I treasure my Aleph heads and HDS EDC lights, and the stainless bezels are like an insurance policy for me.

9x23

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Advantages:

My E2d just plain looks cool!

If SHTF it is better than nothing. If you can swing a hammer you can use this for self defense. Its the same motion except for the angle of the wrist.

Disadvantages:

You need a holster or sheath to carry them around.

Knucklehead friends think they are screw drivers.

Last edited:

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
I carried my e2d incan in my front pocket for a year, and suffered no consequences, except a scratched light from table ends and such. Since then I've bought a holster for it, and now I use the same v20 holster for my e2dl. The teeth never bothered me.

roadie

Enlightened
hmmmm, i jus got a solarforce a001 attach to my old sf z2 .... looks great! well .... to each man's own meat ,,,, :)

i mus say, it do look more fiecre than me , looks can be deciving ....

i read somewhere that a crenellated bezel had infact saved someone's life when he fall into the ice water ... then he use it to act as a ice pick to rescue himself out of the freezing waters, i think its from this year SF catalogue.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not much care for crenulated bezels. To each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.