My M1X was put to shame.

bushido-sig

Newly Enlightened
I finally got my M1X and went out side to test it out. I was really impressed with the beam until a police helicopter was flying near by shinning its spot light. That thing had an amazing beam. Made me and my M1X feel a little..."inadequate."

So what kind of light does the police helicopters use? HID?

By the way, the M1X is an awesome light!

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
My friend and co-worker at work who was in the Navy, always calls it the "Night-Sun".

He says they were never allowed to turn it on inside the hanger because it would melt the paint off of the walls.

I'm not sure if the police use the same one as the military, but they sure are bright.

OH, BTW, we need beamshots of your M1-X.:popcorn::popcorn::D:poke:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup.. they use HID lights.. there are a couple people on the forums that own such things..

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any flashlight can put to shame compared to helicopter spotlights. Those beasts use 100w+ HID with giant reflectors...

Mdinana

Enlightened
And for the classic Cpf question.... Is there some way to make that run with AA's? The review is cool...thanks for the link!

Oh sure, that's easy. You need 320 4xAA holders. Don't store them backwards either. Eneloops are rechargable, but last about 45 seconds due to the drain. And of course, the L91's give rock-solid performance in cold weathers, which should be a concern if one's helo is operating at higher-than-usual altitudes. :crackup:

deusexaethera

Banned
Sure, the ICBM is faster in a straight line than the Corvette, but have you ever tried to steer one? It's like the damn thing is on rails.

Creecher

Newly Enlightened
Some of the shorter range military applications use those, but most police helicopters use these, which are 1.6kW.

That's all well and good, but, as I'm predominantly a CR123a man, could you help me with stacking the correct number of these in series whilst not getting a sooty face?

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
I heart my M1X too :grin2:

Oh, and I flash traffic helicopters with my Amondotech Mega Illuminator!!

I can see the pilots looking down at me :cool:

They have gotten so used to it, they make a point to fly closer to my
house!!

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fueled the local state police helicopter a couple weeks ago when it stopped in. I had a nice chat with the captain and was able to check out some of the gear on board. It was night time when they landed, so I got to look through the GenIII night vision goggles and check out the infared system. I also checked out the spotlight, and it was indeed a NightSun. It was amazing looking, had a gold colored reflector and one mean looking bulb. I can't imagine how much one of those cost!