ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 22 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: The new XP-G: another big announcement from CREE

Default The new XP-G: another big announcement from CREE

Yesterday it was the multi-colored MC-E, and now they announce another big development:

Cree Announces Industry's Brightest and Highest-Efficiency Lighting-Class LED

Default Re: Another big announcement from CREE

Cree really needs to stop this. Lumileds will never catch up at this rate! (Heh, heh.)
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Excellent news.

It looks like they're going with the "XP" package though. The higher drive level of the XP-G (1A) over the XP-E (700mA) must be a direct consequence of the greater efficacy and therefore less heat production.

I wonder if there is also an XR-G on the way capable of even higher drive levels stiill? (XP-E max I = 700mA whereas XR-E max I = 1000mA). No doubt that these new dice will also work their way into the MC-E at a later date.

I can't wait to see this show up in flashlights! My current collection with XR-Es seems obsolete now My 80 l/w P4 light's seemed like great stuff a couple years ago.

Super Moderator

It says it's "cool white", which may be a polite way of saying it's quite strong on blue. Presumably they'll come out with warmer tints in due course, but will they be as efficient?
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic*

Inova now can make an Inforce color model with a single diode. (except infrared)
    Ooops: that pertains to the multi-color RGBw die

Xp-g is how to get a 1,000 lumen (OTF) 4 die lamp, say if the new EagleTac M2X is upgraded to 4 dies instead of 3.
    Last edited by MichaelW; 04-30-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: error
    6.5K diving light, 5K cool-white, 4K neutral-white, 3K warm-white, 2.7K extra warm-white

Ooooh! A single die LED with 345 lumens at 1A! I'll take it !
    Last edited by matrixshaman; 04-30-2009 at 10:14 AM.
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

"This press release contains forward-looking statements involving risks and uncertainties, both known and unknown, that may cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated. Actual results may differ materially due to a number of factors, including the risk we may encounter delays or other difficulties in ramping up production of our new sample products, which are currently available for evaluation and testing purposes only; the risk we may be unable to develop and release commercial products with performance ratings comparable to the development results described above; the risk we may be unable to manufacture products with sufficiently low cost to offer them at competitive prices or with acceptable margins; the potential lack of customer acceptance of LED products; the rapid development of new technology and competing products that may impair demand or render Cree's products obsolete; and other factors discussed in Cree's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its report on Form 10-K for the year ended June 29, 2008, and subsequent filings."

We have seen this type of announcement from the LED manufacturers before. Lab made LEDs and production units are two different entities. I was told in January of 2008 that by the end of that year the Lumileds K2 would be at 300 Lumens.

So just sit back and .

Curt

Holy crap! I hope these things come out this year and are just as billed.

Nice to see that my CREE stock has gone up another 5% after this announcement. . . . .

But sadly, its the only thing that has gone up this year. . . .

That works out to a 3.0 Vf. Not bad. And over 100L/W at 1Amp could make these the next killer drop-in to get massive throw.
    The cool white XLamp XP-G provides 139 lumens and 132 lumens per Watt at 350 mA. Driven at 1 A, the XP-G produces 345 lumens, which is 37 percent brighter and 53 percent more efficient than the brightest XR-E LED.

Flashaholic*

So new flashlight for: Halloween, Turkey day, or x-mas?
    or just new flashlights for a new year?

I will only accept 1,000 lumen* [capable] flashlights in the year 2010
    6.5K diving light, 5K cool-white, 4K neutral-white, 3K warm-white, 2.7K extra warm-white

Quote Originally Posted by Blindasabat View Post
    ... over 100L/W at 1Amp could make these the next killer drop-in to get massive throw.
    I wonder how long we will have to wait for companies light Dereelight to get a hold of these and offer drop-ins for their throwers?
    My girlfriend said if I bought one more light she would leave me...........I'm sure gonna miss her.

I think you will have to get a triple XP-G or next higher bins of MC-E & P7 for 1000 Lumens.
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
    I will only accept 1,000 lumen* [capable] flashlights in the year 2010

Flashaholic*

Over 110 lm/watt at 1A. I'm excited and impressed. I hope this scales accordingly to the neutral and warm white versions.

The cool white XLamp XP-G provides 139 lumens and 132 lumens per Watt at 350 mA. Driven at 1 A, the XP-G produces 345 lumens, which is 37 percent brighter and 53 percent more efficient than the brightest XR-E LED.

From the XPE binning datasheet, the scale stops at R3 bins.

R2 bin min 114lm max 122lm
    R3 bin min 122lm mac 130lm

Now I'm guessing...
    R4 min 130lm max 138lm
    R5 min 138lm max 147lm

An R5 binned LED!!!

Now to wait until these hit the market
    Is that a torch in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

This means the warm white version will most likely be at least or more efficient than the best currently available if the improvement was in the die and not the phosphor.

Flashaholic*

Ah crap, that means all my lights will soon be outdated.

I'm all about more lumens but I would like to see an increase in technology for runtimes myself.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Quote Originally Posted by jhc37013 View Post
    I'm all about more lumens but I would like to see an increase in technology for runtimes myself.
    But it's pretty much the same thing -- advances in per-die output always mean either more lm/W or more total power, which means better thermal path, so it can run cooler (= more efficient) at the same output. Even multi-die emitters, as technologically boring as they are, mean you can run each die at a fraction of the output for the same total output at less power.

In this case, it's specifically spelled out that it's an increase in lm/W, and I'm not sure what sort of advancement you're thinking will boost runtimes any more directly than that.

ya know.. I'm wondering when there will be regulations as to how bright a flashlight can be?

some people are going to be shining em at airplanes and the such.... and a uber thrower would probably hit them well...

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    It says it's "cool white", which may be a polite way of saying it's quite strong on blue. Presumably they'll come out with warmer tints in due course, but will they be as efficient?
    It would be no different than anything they produce know. Remember that for a while the only R2 binned Crees that could be found were the WH bin which is the warmest of the cool white so don't assume that this new one is only able to achieve these numbers by being blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt R View Post

We have seen this type of announcement from the LED manufacturers before. Lab made LEDs and production units are two different entities. I was told in January of 2008 that by the end of that year the Lumileds K2 would be at 300 Lumens.

So just sit back and .

Curt
    Lumileds and Cree have two very different philosophies when it comes to press releases. Cree tells the truth as they know it and Lumileds tells you what you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by jhc37013 View Post
    Then I think you will be happy with this new LED. There isn't a more efficient LED around. The reason it is putting out so many lumens is because it is so efficient. I would not be surprised to see efficiencies approaching 200lm/W at low drive levels.

Curt, in furtherance to my point about how Cree does business I would like to direct you to this press release. "SEPTEMBER 7, 2007 — Cree, ... today announced it has demonstrated light output of more than 1,000 lumens ... from a single R&D LED. Historically, Cree’s R&D demonstrations generally have been commercialized within 12 to 24 months."

What we have in this new XP-G is the chip that was referred to in that press release. This is a larger chip than the XR-E and once it is applied to the XR package it will be capable of reaching 1000lm. Cree is right on schedule as usual. Expect another press release in the not too distant future about an XR-G.

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    ....once it is applied to the XR package it will be capable of reaching 1000lm. Cree is right on schedule as usual. Expect another press release in the not too distant future about an XR-G.
    So if I understand correctly-this time next year-you might be offering a DEFT with over 1000lm!!! Sign me up!!!
    My girlfriend said if I bought one more light she would leave me...........I'm sure gonna miss her.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDREAS FERRARI View Post
    So if I understand correctly-this time next year-you might be offering a DEFT with over 1000lm!!! Sign me up!!!
    It won't take a year.

Wow !

Certainly are Great Times to be a Flashaholic.

However, consider this . . . .

9 months ago, i received my first production flashlight
    to contain an R2 bin emitter. (LiteFlux LF5XT)

But . . . .

Today, 9 months later, that same R2 bin is considered to be
    "too difficult to obtain", so LiteFlux has gone back to using Q5's.

See what i'm getting at ?

Still, i'm very interested in this announcement.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post

Today, 9 months later, that same R2 bin is considered to be
    "too difficult to obtain", so LiteFlux has gone back to using Q5's.

_
    That is just an excuse so they can go back to using the cheaper Q5s. R2s are plentiful and easy to get.

I've took an XP-G picture and compared it with XR-E shot. The picture pretty well demonstrates that new XP-G uses a different (probably bigger) die.

Can't wait for XR-G and MC-G

This is good stuff.
    The XR-E at 1A puts out 2.2x the 350mA lumens.
    This guy puts out 2.5x
    Thats half the droop eliminated.

If this is going to be the main discussion thread for the XP-G I was wondering if someone could add "XP-G" to the title so we could easily differentiate this from the four color die announcement and any others that come down the pike.

Page 1 of 22 1234567811 ... LastLast