The new XP-G: another big announcement from CREE

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: Another big announcement from CREE

Cree really needs to stop this. Lumileds will never catch up at this rate! (Heh, heh.)

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent news.

It looks like they're going with the "XP" package though. The higher drive level of the XP-G (1A) over the XP-E (700mA) must be a direct consequence of the greater efficacy and therefore less heat production.

I wonder if there is also an XR-G on the way capable of even higher drive levels stiill? (XP-E max I = 700mA whereas XR-E max I = 1000mA). No doubt that these new dice will also work their way into the MC-E at a later date.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't wait to see this show up in flashlights! My current collection with XR-Es seems obsolete now :shakehead My 80 l/w P4 light's seemed like great stuff a couple years ago.

DM51

Flashaholic

It says it's "cool white", which may be a polite way of saying it's quite strong on blue. Presumably they'll come out with warmer tints in due course, but will they be as efficient?

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Inova now can make an Inforce color model with a single diode. (except infrared)
Ooops: that pertains to the multi-color RGBw die

Xp-g is how to get a 1,000 lumen (OTF) 4 die lamp, say if the new EagleTac M2X is upgraded to 4 dies instead of 3.

Last edited:

Curt R

Enlightened

"This press release contains forward-looking statements involving risks and uncertainties, both known and unknown, that may cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated. Actual results may differ materially due to a number of factors, including the risk we may encounter delays or other difficulties in ramping up production of our new sample products, which are currently available for evaluation and testing purposes only; the risk we may be unable to develop and release commercial products with performance ratings comparable to the development results described above; the risk we may be unable to manufacture products with sufficiently low cost to offer them at competitive prices or with acceptable margins; the potential lack of customer acceptance of LED products; the rapid development of new technology and competing products that may impair demand or render Cree's products obsolete; and other factors discussed in Cree's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its report on Form 10-K for the year ended June 29, 2008, and subsequent filings."

We have seen this type of announcement from the LED manufacturers before. Lab made LEDs and production units are two different entities. I was told in January of 2008 that by the end of that year the Lumileds K2 would be at 300 Lumens.

So just sit back and :popcorn:.

Curt

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Holy crap! I hope these things come out this year and are just as billed.

YuccaPatrol

Newly Enlightened

Nice to see that my CREE stock has gone up another 5% after this announcement. . . . . :thumbsup:

But sadly, its the only thing that has gone up this year. . . . :(

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

That works out to a 3.0 Vf. Not bad. And over 100L/W at 1Amp could make these the next killer drop-in to get massive throw.
The cool white XLamp XP-G provides 139 lumens and 132 lumens per Watt at 350 mA. Driven at 1 A, the XP-G produces 345 lumens, which is 37 percent brighter and 53 percent more efficient than the brightest XR-E LED.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

So new flashlight for: Halloween, Turkey day, or x-mas?
or just new flashlights for a new year?

I will only accept 1,000 lumen* [capable] flashlights in the year 2010

spencer

Enlightened

Over 110 lm/watt at 1A. I'm excited and impressed. I hope this scales accordingly to the neutral and warm white versions.

nzbazza

Enlightened

The cool white XLamp XP-G provides 139 lumens and 132 lumens per Watt at 350 mA. Driven at 1 A, the XP-G produces 345 lumens, which is 37 percent brighter and 53 percent more efficient than the brightest XR-E LED.

From the XPE binning datasheet, the scale stops at R3 bins.

R2 bin min 114lm max 122lm
R3 bin min 122lm mac 130lm

Now I'm guessing...
R4 min 130lm max 138lm
R5 min 138lm max 147lm

An R5 binned LED!!! :D

Now to wait until these hit the market :popcorn:

Marduke

Flashaholic

This means the warm white version will most likely be at least or more efficient than the best currently available if the improvement was in the die and not the phosphor.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm all about more lumens but I would like to see an increase in technology for runtimes myself.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm all about more lumens but I would like to see an increase in technology for runtimes myself.
But it's pretty much the same thing -- advances in per-die output always mean either more lm/W or more total power, which means better thermal path, so it can run cooler (= more efficient) at the same output. Even multi-die emitters, as technologically boring as they are, mean you can run each die at a fraction of the output for the same total output at less power.

In this case, it's specifically spelled out that it's an increase in lm/W, and I'm not sure what sort of advancement you're thinking will boost runtimes any more directly than that.

Latest posts