Husky 2D or Maglite 2D Rebel

Which would you prefer?

• Total voters

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, first off I am a proud owner of the Husky 2D, after reading the reviews, seeing the pictures from the forums, and being blown away by the flood and throw hybrid this light gives me for under $20. But towards the end of that thread I noticed some people talking about the Maglite 2D Rebel....

I am curious about the Maglite because I know their quality is exceptable, but they do not make too many strong lights that can compare to most of the flashlights we speak of here in the forums.

So my question is... Does the Maglite I am speaking of throw further ? Is brighter? More floodier... than the Husky? Given I know the beam of the Maglite is nicer to look at than the Husky, but does anyone have a picture comparing the two in the criterias given above? Thanks!:touche:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MAG throws further, is less floody, has a nicer beam, is lighter and better made. Since the price difference is only $10 and both lights are available from the same source (HD), why don't you get both and compare them? You can always return the one you don't like.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MAG throws further, is less floody, has a nicer beam, is lighter and better made. Since the price difference is only $10 and both lights are available from the same source (HD), why don't you get both and compare them? You can always return the one you don't like.

I may just do that. Wow... 6 people for Mag, and none for Husky! lol Interesting...:eek:

Dudeman

Newly Enlightened
I just bought two of the Huskys, and they are good lights for the money. They can tailstand, and those sharp crenelations make for a mean weapon, an ideal light for the car. But I honestly did not know about the new version of the mags. I'll probably get one of those too someday soon!

pipspeak

Enlightened
Maglites are tried and tested and utterly bomb-proof IMO. They also look classic. Home Teapot's Husky brand more or less is the exact opposite -- cheaply-made own-brand garbage (I've had too much Husky stuff break on me to bother buying it any more). And IMO the Husky light is a hideous-looking thing, more akin to a cheap dildo than a flashlight.

Dudeman

Newly Enlightened
OUCH! The thought of those crenelations in use like that, they'd draw blood in all the wrong places....however, the name sure does fit....Da Husky! :kiss:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglites are tried and tested and utterly bomb-proof IMO. They also look classic. Home Teapot's Husky brand more or less is the exact opposite -- cheaply-made own-brand garbage (I've had too much Husky stuff break on me to bother buying it any more). And IMO the Husky light is a hideous-looking thing, more akin to a cheap dildo than a flashlight.

DAMN.... those are some pretty hateful words! haha

But anyways i went to home depot earlier and looked at the 2D Maglite LED flashlights, and I dont know how to detect if it is a Rebel bulb in there.... I remember seeing a post where on the package there was a bulb advertisement on the bottom right (Two bulbs pointing at eachother) of the the package and i believe it was circled with a red circle. But i did not any of those indicators on the ones they were selling at the store. Do I have to purchase those online? Can i get it at Target? What bulb do the ones without the bulb indicator have? And what is the difference between that and the rebel leds?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
This is all a bit like a Hyundai vs Kia argument; both do what they were built to do but neither is the real deal. I'd just take the combined ~$40 you would have spent on both lights and look into a Fenix.

Everyone wishes they would have skipped all the cheap lights in the beginning, and had just gotten one or two good lights..

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is all a bit like a Hyundai vs Kia argument; both do what they were built to do but neither is the real deal. I'd just take the combined ~$40 you would have spent on both lights and look into a Fenix.

Everyone wishes they would have skipped all the cheap lights in the beginning, and had just gotten one or two good lights..

That is a very good comparison i have to say. Sad thing is the husky out throws my tk11 lol and for $19, aside from the halos... its really not as bad as people say! I mean yea i shake it and i hear something loose inside... but have you ever jumped up and down before? lol How do i know the maglite is a rebel?

bob4apple

Enlightened

Just because something is usually true doesn't mean it is always true. Many of us have some damn fine "cheap" lights. I have the Husky and I'd be willing to bet that if Wolverine needed a flashlight, that would be his first choice.

I've also got a "cheap" Dexlight XV and just yesterday my "cheap" Solarforce L2 arrived, complete with R2 module, 18650 battery and holster- $25 with free shipping. Sure I've paid a lot more for some Fenixes, but they don't rule over everything else. There are bargains to be had out there.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
DAMN.... those are some pretty hateful words! haha

But anyways i went to home depot earlier and looked at the 2D Maglite LED flashlights, and I dont know how to detect if it is a Rebel bulb in there.... I remember seeing a post where on the package there was a bulb advertisement on the bottom right (Two bulbs pointing at eachother) of the the package and i believe it was circled with a red circle. But i did not any of those indicators on the ones they were selling at the store. Do I have to purchase those online? Can i get it at Target? What bulb do the ones without the bulb indicator have? And what is the difference between that and the rebel leds?

CaNo, the new 2D Rebel MAGs do NOT have the graphic in the red circle. So it looks like the ones saw are the correct ones.

a_59a.jpg

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
CaNo, the new 2D Rebel MAGs do NOT have the graphic in the red circle. So it looks like the ones saw are the correct ones.

a_59a.jpg

Thank you for finally answering that rmteo! I appreciate that buddy! :thumbsup:
If i may ask, and hopefully someone has an answer to this.... How much further does the Maglite throw over the Husky? I mean can't be too much right? Since the "expensive" Fenix Tk11 cannot even throw as far as the husky...

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just because something is usually true doesn't mean it is always true. Many of us have some damn fine "cheap" lights. I have the Husky and I'd be willing to bet that if Wolverine needed a flashlight, that would be his first choice.

I've also got a "cheap" Dexlight XV and just yesterday my "cheap" Solarforce L2 arrived, complete with R2 module, 18650 battery and holster- $25 with free shipping. Sure I've paid a lot more for some Fenixes, but they don't rule over everything else. There are bargains to be had out there.

I totally agree with you bob. Wolverine would take the Husky! haha jk
But on a more serious note, my Fenix lights are collecting dust because of this husky. I guess I am not as critical as some of the people are with their lights (halos, and such). But the throw is very important for me, and i guess that is the reason that I am slowly getting tired of my Fenix lights outside of using it as headlights for bike rides of course. The fenix lights do an amazing job illuminating things within range, like a small room (with or without the diffuser)

I dont know it is weird guys... a part of me says for $19 this is the best value... period (husky). But the Maglite is $35... and that is stepping on the line between a $35 Maglite, and a $40 Fenix... In this scenario i can see people's points... Am I really going to be super WoWed performance wise from the Husky to the maglite? Or am I just going to return another Maglite again...

It would really help if someone had some Pictures of the two side by side, throw and flood. Im sure atleast one of you flashaholics have both these lights!

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the Huskies but I returned them as the MAGs were much better overall IMO - so I cannot do a side-by-side comparison.

Take a look at the link in post #4.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
I have both and they are both very nice lights, however the Mag's THROW can't be touched by the Husky, the Mag penitrates a good 33% to 50% further. The Husky does have better spill and thats does have value for up close. No one can go wrong with either light, but I won't be buying another Husky 1 is perfect for me. Also the Husky is more of a Weapon if your taking walks :poke: .

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and they are both very nice lights, however the Mag's THROW can't be touched by the Husky, the Mag penitrates a good 33% to 50% further. The Husky does have better spill and thats does have value for up close. No one can go wrong with either light, but I won't be buying another Husky 1 is perfect for me. Also the Husky is more of a Weapon if your taking walks :poke: .

You know truthfully I was wondering which light would do more damage... the husky or the maglite if you hit someone haha

I hear the husky is heavier, but then again the maglite is basically indestructable.

I am going to get the Maglite tomorrow and will take some pictures of the beam shots when I get the chance.

I like to think of the Husky as my little mini scepter! haha Having the maglite just makes me feel like Im a cop lol

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know truthfully I was wondering which light would do more damage... the husky or the maglite if you hit someone haha

I hear the husky is heavier, but then again the maglite is basically indestructable.

Get both, and dual-wield! :laughing:

I suppose if you really wanted to, you could swap the head and switch ***'y from a 3D Mag Rebel onto a 5D Mag tube and use 3 F cells, or maybe even a 6D tube with 4 rechargeable Fs. :twak:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get both, and dual-wield! :laughing:

I suppose if you really wanted to, you could swap the head and switch ***'y from a 3D Mag Rebel onto a 5D Mag tube and use 3 F cells, or maybe even a 6D tube with 4 rechargeable Fs. :twak:
I got a good laugh out of that dual wielding comment lol :crackup:

As for the Maglite... I just want to crack someone in the head, not play baseball! lol :dedhorse:

Dogmeat

Newly Enlightened
For $20 I picked one of these up. Bright, yes! But the rings are highly distinct, with a very dark shadow just outside the center bright spot. I much prefer my c-cell Task Force, even thought it is not as bright.

I'm a little disappointed, but at $20 what does one expect. It will get thrown in a car.