Help a new brother out...

I'mGatMan!

Newly Enlightened
Hello people,

I've been a member of of a couple good knife/gadget forums for a little while now, and since getting in to personal defense, have developed an interest in good flashlights as well. I've been lurking around here from time to time, and I really like the fact that this place seems to be such a great source of information. I know NOTHING about the technical aspects of flashlights, but I am interested, and have a thing for Ti, so you know what that means...

What I'd like to know is if any of you can suggest a good place to start learning. What are drivers, pistons, etc, etc, etc... I can really appreciate the beauty of a great design want to know a little more about the technical aspects. Any links, sites, wikis you can point me to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Btw...my current stable of lights consists of a Scorpion for the bedside, an E2D for the MaxPedition, a G2L on my LMT Carbine, an SF 618F on my 870P, and a couple of random Maglites strewn about the house, as well a little Inova on my wife's keychain. :D I would LOVE a McGizmo for carry, but I know NOTHING about any of the jargon I'm seeing in that forum. :(

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You've got some good lights and lots of good links on this thread. One you have an idea of what you want, post them here and we'll see what we can find.

For the Maglites, Check here (mods and drop-ins). For the P60 accepting lights (like the G2L, it can be brigher and still have similar runtime) check here.

:welcome:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Gatman! Well, looking at the lights you've listed, you seem to already know what a "good light" is. I'd like to see a pic of the 618FA on your 870P. I've been trying to get a set of ghost rings for my 870 Marine Magnum, (w/ the now discontinued 918FA) but have been spending too much on lights lately :ohgeez:. Hope you find the info yor looking for...there's plenty here!

I'mGatMan!

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great info, people. This place has been very informative so far, and I'm glad to finally be interacting.

As for pics, I don't really have any pics of my lights, and I just put together my AR and 870, so maybe I'll get some pics soon and post 'em up.

Jason

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
i'll help you!, delete ur cpf accounting and stop lerking! ur wallet is in danger!