SureFire E-Series "Bezel Down" Clip MOD Wanted

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
SureFire E-Series \"Bezel Down\" Clip MOD Wanted

Using the existing pocketclip attachment can any of you talented folks out there come up with a clip that would allow for bezel-down carry?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: SureFire E-Series

Ray,

I recently placed some orders for machined parts that will allow for the E series to be carried bezel down in the swivel belt clips used for cell phones and PDA's. I expect to receive all of the components needed within 4 to 6 weeks. A prototype:

E-series.jpg

I am also getting a generic collar made that should fit the Mag AA, Brinkman AA, Craftsman AA and others. There is a swivel wall mount that lets you hang the light by the tab on your dash or on a wall in the house/garage or shop as well. I think it's a pretty nice system and if not, I am going to have a garage full of parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The belt clip and swivel wall clip I am getting from TheClip.com who make the premium clips for the major OEM's.

The brass tab will also be available with a flat head screw for a clean mount on the McLuxes.

- Don

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Ray,
For you, the first one's free and will come right out of the box and off to your doorstep..........

The rest will cost you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Raindrop

Enlightened

Don,

Can I get on your list for 6 of them please? Let me know if you would like me to send you a money order ahead of time even since I don't do PayPal.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Guys,

There will be PLENTY of these. I will let you know as soon as I have a reasonably firm delivery date.

- Don

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Any chance of making the Button of Gold in other sizes? ie..MiniMag size?,,,UBH size?

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Roy,

mag.jpg

In addition to some collars for the E series, I have ordered some collars for a generic AA sized tube. The one shown above *should* fit the mag AA, brinkman AA, craftsman AA and others. It may be the case that some tape or other shim material is used under the collar for a snug fit.

One concern I have is that the collar is mounted with a set screw that is tightened enough to hopefully secure the collar but over tightening can dimple and damage the tube or tail cap. Once the set screw is "set" the tab is screwed on and tightened against the collar. The tab is acting like a lock nut and actually puts the threads of the set screw in tension which will aid in keeping it from loosening up. Loc-Tite can be used for a more secure joint. This system works and I have been using it for quite a while. Unfortunately the system can be a source of damage to the flashlight if proper care is not taken. Some people may chose to glue the collar in place some way and not drive the set-screw with tension onto the tube at all. The tab can be locked against the collar without the set screw even contacting the battery tube.

Another method of securing the collar would be to whip a band of twine onto the tube on both sides of the collar. Some folks may want the collar fixed longitudinally but free to rotate.

I plan to put together some images and ideas of different mounts but want to wait until I am working with the production pieces.

Incidentally, since I have opted for the #6x32 thread size, I have found that the pocket clips of the E series as well as the McLux can be drilled for a # 6 screw and the tab can be mounted to the clip as an option. I think folks will find that many of the lights have material in the tail cap for a blind 6x32 tapped hole. This will allow for the tab to be directly mounted to the end of the light without need for a collar.

Some lights have a flat surface (the eternalight is one I tried) where the TheClip round plastic tab with 3M adhesive can be installed on the light and allow for swivel belt clip carry; much like the cell phones, pagers and PDA's that use this system.

- Don

- Don

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

I had been staring at the laynard hole in the OEM Tail Cap of the MiniMag trying to figure out how to mount a button there when I came across this thread! The use of a split ring through the lanyard hole and a hole in the tail of a button seems like a possible solution.

BTW, I've used a taped on button on my Yeasu VX-5R Handy Talky for some time now. The secret to using double sticky tape, is make sure the surfaces are VERY clean. NO ArmorAll at all!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: swivel belt clip carry: E series and others

Roy,

I have done a "floppy" tab carry and it does work but is cumbersome and I think a clip or carabiner is easier if attached to a belt loop.

The Mini-Mag and old style ArcLS tail caps can be drilled and tapped through the side for #6x32 threads. I have done this but need to photograph and post.... Too much to do and not enough time. i'll try to get to it later.

I hope Ray doesn't mind that I changed the subject to something mor in keeping to what the thread has morphed into....

- Don

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Ok,

Here's a shot of a few direct tab installations:

tab-direct.jpg

In the case of tapping into the battery tube, you are kind of commited. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I used loc-tite on the screw threads and once tensioned by the tab, I believe the water resistant integrity is maintained.

- Don

John Frederick

Enlightened

Don,

Is there really enough thickness on the E2/E2e clips to hold a thread? I wondered if maybe you backed it up with a nut underneath. Thanks.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

John,

A #6x32 nut just fits in the cavity of the pocket clip between the top and return section of the clip. Yes, the set screw goes into a nut and the clip was drilled out to allow passage of the set screw through it; it isn't threaded. I had positioned the light to show this but it must have rolled prior to the photo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's a very secure termination.

- Don

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!!! Paypal standing by. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif