What's the most unusual/stupidest/weirdest thing you've done with your flashlight?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've certainly all looked stupid from seeing our first good beam, flashed ourselves in the eyes and so on... but I wonder, what is the most unusual thing you guys have done using you're flashlight?? What's the stupidest thing and the weirdest unthikable thing you might have used your flashlight for? I sure have done a couple....

- Held my finger in the beam to look at the shadow on the wall and get the impression I could see the bone

- Follow my veins by sticking it on my arm

- Lit a whole sight seeing tower with about 30 flashlights with other guys I was camping with (could hear dogs barking miles around)

- Signaled each other from tower to tower with almost a mile in between

- My friend used it to illuminate the inside of his nose tho see his sinuses before setting up an appointment with the doctor.

-Just yesterday, I went out in my car in a new development where there is absolutely no lights, to chase my own Flashlight beam (with the car and the high beams on!)... TK11 R2 is amazing! I do have regular halogen, but stil... very impressive! Can't wait to get a TK40 or something similar :grin2:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Like probably 99% of Gladius owners, one of the first things I did was strobe myself with it !

Wasn't actually daft enough to point it straight in my eyes, but it still made me feel pretty :green: for the rest of the afternoon.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I do not know if I do stupid things with my lights, but some silly things I have done are:

Looking at the led/bulb while on, P7/MC-E lights are rather bright, but HID are even worse. And even just a quick glance from the side is bad for my vision (At least temporary).:whistle:

Disassembling lights, why do I open up a working light (I like to see how it is build, but is that a valid reason to disassemble it)?

Driving out in the middle of the night to some dark place to take a few beam shoots.

And (as can be seen from some of the photos I post), I have only bought a few dozen lights.

I believe that the reason for all of the above is my quest for gathering knowledge and has nothing to do with being a flashaholic:whistle:.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know if I do stupid things with my lights, but some silly things I have done are:

Looking at the led/bulb while on, P7/MC-E lights are rather bright, but HID are even worse. And even just a quick glance from the side is bad for my vision (At least temporary).:whistle:

There are two types of flashaholics, those who looked at the emitter/bulb knowingly and intensionally, and liars. :laughing:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may have stared into some of my LED lights (how else am I supposed to compare brightness without a light meter?), but I have been careful not keep well away from the front of my HID. I am not sure if it can cause long term damage, but the heat that it gives off from even a meter away is fairly intense.

The Dane

Enlightened
Opened beers.
Pounded in a nail (M@g!)
Prybar (M@g again :twothumbs)
Killed angeled fish (Oh that blasted M@g again)
Whacked down an supper bunny or two (Need i say it?)

The M@g is a multitool with a crappy light (before modding)

Gunnerboy

Enlightened
I thought it was odd at first: One of my non-CPF flashaholic friends occasionally uses the ROP-LO I gave him to recharge one of his solar-powered watches. He repairs watches as a hobby.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Made a self-portrait (from an old thread).

SN853290.jpg

Geoff

aussiebob

Enlightened
I was swinging my TK20 around on its lanyard and somehow hit myself in the mouth. Gave myself a hell of a fat lip.:eek:

Holding E2D in mouth while helping mate install internet receiver in his ceiling, went to grab a beam thingy as im walking through the roof, hand slipped, fell a bit forward and the light in mouth hit another 45degree beam, pushed the light up the top of my mouth resulting in two large bloody gashes. Ouch.

Fired a LOD out of a glove gun into the air to see how high it would go and what it would look like at night... about 300ft, saftly landed on the grass, not as impressive as i was hoping.

Used a 6d mag for various tasks, hammering, wrecking etc.

gsxrac

Enlightened
HAHA Ahh well used a Mag for a hammer to get my trailer hitch out. Used the mag to knock in tent pegs. And a few others that as mmajunkie said, "might get me banned" to say the least :sssh:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it was odd at first: One of my non-CPF flashaholic friends occasionally uses the ROP-LO I gave him to recharge one of his solar-powered watches. He repairs watches as a hobby.

Yeah, I use a P7 in the winter sometimes -- just not enough daylight to keep my watch charged up.

Aussiebob: Yours is the third account I've read on here recently of injuries sustained due to light-biting. I almost never do it anyway (although that's due to a combination of an irrational level of hygienic squeamishness and over-sensitive gag reflex), but from what I've read, I'm beginning to consider it downright dangerous.

Weirdest thing I've done would probably be abuse of a Mag -- A couple weeks ago, I ripped open a 24-pack of Dr Pepper with my Kiu LP bezel. (I had a knife in my pocket, but the light was already in my hand...)

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two types of flashaholics, those who looked at the emitter/bulb knowingly and intensionally, and liars. :laughing:

Three kinds. I was wearing three layers of Oakleys M-frame lenses. :nana:

Over another pair of sunglasses. lovecpf

MWClint

Enlightened
I was swinging my TK20 around on its lanyard and somehow hit myself in the mouth. Gave myself a hell of a fat lip.:eek:

lol very similar,
i handed my brand new spy 007 to a coworker and he swung it in circles by
the lanyard, saying oh this would make a good weapon. if we werent at
work, he'd have a fat lip. ******* nearly gave me a heart attack.
:sick2:

now i never do *stupid* things like hand an expensive light to a coworker. :)

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
When i was young and foolish . . . .

(at least 40 years ago)

During a night-fishing expedition. :candle:

Had an Eveready "Big Jim" 6-volt (8-F cells) sealed-beam lantern.

Very Bright. :cool:

Sitting in a boat, i tried shining the light DOWN into the water. (submerged)

Couldn't see very far, in the murky water.

So, i had a "brilliant idea".

I tied a heavy fishing line to the lantern,
strategically positioned so the beam would point UP. (at me)

Then, i lowered our precious Big Jim into the deep, dark water. :shakehead

Well, it wasn't down even Six Feet, and i could no longer see it at ALL. :awman:

That made me wonder: Perhaps the light has gone out ? (flooded)

So, i retrieved the Eveready, via the fishing line.

Thankfully, the fishing line did not break.

I would have felt AWFUL, having it lost on the bottom of the lake. :mecry:

Not to mention . . . .

Now, i am more "realistic" when a flashlight is touted as "Waterproof".

:whistle:

Thankfully, it suffered no water damage, or other ill-effects,
from its little undersea adventure.

But, i am no longer that stupid.

:tinfoil:

_