What's your cycle?

flilow06

Newly Enlightened
So I scratched the first case of the candlebug. I've been lurking these forums for quite some time and finally bought a Jetbeam II Pro IBS for starters. The size : power ratio of this thing amazes me... and being a newbie I'm sure I have a lot to learn of how it actually stacks up against the rest. I get lost for hours browsing thru threads in the custom forum. :popcorn:

Forgive the long intro... what this thread is really about. As I'm learning how to use the menu settings I'm spending some time thinking about how to best program the light. I haven't really seen a thread on this in the general sense.

What is your selection for the priority and brightness of the cycles in your light? I know each light is different, some more simple and some more complex. But generally speaking, what do you consider most important and most convenient? Do you find that you set the first click as medium, second as high, third as low, etc.? Or maybe first click is max, second as medium-low, and third as medium...

Oh, and does anyone use the strobe or safety settings?

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: What's your cycle?!

I have a pair of IBS-equipped JetBeams, both are set minimum/high-as-you-can-get-without-overheating/maximum. I use an infrared thermometer to set the middle mode, aiming to get the battery tube temperature to level off right around 120F. This means the last two modes are somewhat close to one another, but it's nice to have a high output mode you can just set and forget without worrying about melting anything.

The strobes menu has only been used for showing off thus far, but the 15hz strobe is a crowdpleaser every time.

Scourie

Enlightened
Re: What's your cycle?!

My preference is for medium-low-high. It's rare that I need high, so this helps to preserve battery runtime.

Rob

s.c.

Newly Enlightened
I was just about to start this very thread! I just received a liteflux lf3xt and was curious about what settings other people used.

pretty much on any of my lights that have adjustable multi modes, its 1. the lowest setting possible, 2. somewhere between low and medium (closer to medium), 3. max brightness.

dirtech

Enlightened
I was just about to start this very thread! I just received a liteflux lf3xt and was curious about what settings other people used.

pretty much on any of my lights that have adjustable multi modes, its 1. the lowest setting possible, 2. somewhere between low and medium (closer to medium), 3. max brightness.

I just recieved my lf3xt as well. I have it set as follows: 1. as low as it goes 2. 25% 3. 45% 4. 100%. 5. Beacon.

I haven't had a chance to see how effective this mode set up is, but I can't imagine how it couldn't be adequate especially with mometary 100% one push hold away.

BTW, I really like this light. I can hardly tell it's in my pocket and the options are very extensive. I'm really surprised this light isn't more talked about compared to other models.

flilow06

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree with a couple of you on your choices. So far I've found the following to be the most convenient:

Minimum / Mid-High / Maximum

chaoss

Enlightened

+1 here, the LF3XT is a great light and the settings that you mention are also my ideal setup.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy flilow06 and congratulations on your new light :twothumbs. There is nothing better than a programmable lights as far as I'm concerned.

For me, it depends on what I'm currently doing as to how I leave my light set (NovaTac 120P). For work, when I'll be looking under seats for items that folks might have left on my bus, I have it come on at about 60 lumens...... with a click and hold bringing up max if needed.

For bedtime when I might need to get up a few times during the night (one of the joys of getting older), I leave it set to come on at minimum... about .08 lumens.

I'm sure you will find settings that work best for you......and half the fun is being able to change it around when you want to..... even if it's for no other reason than to play around with it :naughty:. Enjoy!

ackbar

Enlightened
1%, 15%, 50%, Strobe and SOS on my LF5XT. I love the longer runtime on 50%. I hardly ever use max.

MWClint

Enlightened
1 lumen low - if i can shine it on a sleeping person and not wake them up..that is what i want in a low.

10-15 lumen medium - good general purpose, long runtime, can
read by it and not get blinded, pointing it at ceiling dimly lights up
the entire room. This is why the general population loves maglite..it is
a great all purpose light level.

High, however high it will go.