Fenix quit making Olive Green???

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
Does Fenix STILL offer Olive Green or have they quit offering this anodization choice? Someone told me BLACK is the only color for all of their current lines from now forward...

BTW - I really like the Olive Green and also really liked the no longer offered Natural.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Last I heard Olive was being discontinued indefinitely due to lack of interest.

CPF'ers are the only people who clamor for it.

streetmaster

Enlightened
Last I heard Olive was being discontinued indefinitely due to lack of interest.

CPF'ers are the only people who clamor for it.

That's too bad. I like black most of the time, but I like a little variety too! I really like both the olive Fenix's that I have.

ImGeo

Newly Enlightened
I personally chose the L2D Olive, and also like the "natural" color of the TK series.

Black just seems too... black.

ALiteZ

Newly Enlightened
+1 on some variety. I'm surprised it would be eliminated completely.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does Fenix STILL offer Olive Green or have they quit offering this anodization choice? Someone told me BLACK is the only color for all of their current lines from now forward...

BTW - I really like the Olive Green and also really liked the no longer offered Natural.

+1
I also prefer the natural over the OD or the black, it's ashame they seem to be only doing black. That is my number 1 request for Fenix is to please continue the Natural finish. I really dont understand why they want to discontinue it.I think I read somewhere they was having a tough time matching head,body and tailcap. Fenix if your watching please bring back Natural finish. Of all things going on in the flashlight world this upsets me the most.

Marduke

Flashaholic
+1
I also prefer the natural over the OD or the black, it's ashame they seem to be only doing black. That is my number 1 request for Fenix is to please continue the Natural finish. I really dont understand why they want to discontinue it.I think I read somewhere they was having a tough time matching head,body and tailcap. Fenix if your watching please bring back Natural finish. Of all things going on in the flashlight world this upsets me the most.

The natural finish was outsourced to a 3rd party anodizing shop. They were having QC issues which led to large amounts of scrapped components. They then went to an in-house olive anodizing instead, but as stated, have discontinued that since it does not sell well.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Marduke, so did the OD or natural finish come first. It seems like your saying the natural was first the the OD. I really hope they reconsider I would be willing to to pay $5 more or so for the natural finish if it came down to it.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was un-discontinued actually I'm happy to report.

The new lights are now available in OD but they're not a 'stock' item from Fenix and they'll only be making them like quarterly so distributors have to special order them in advance but as of maybe 1-2 weeks ago the LD10, LD20, PD20, PD30, TK10(and many of the earlier models) can all be had in OD.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

The new lights are now available in OD but they're not a 'stock' item from Fenix and they'll only be making them like quarterly so distributors have to special order them in advance but as of maybe 1-2 weeks ago the LD10, LD20, PD20, PD30, TK10(and many of the earlier models) can all be had in OD.

That is great news Matt wow! Do you know if the OD is well "OD" or is it the grey natural finish. Also when do you think you will have some in the PD series?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I would have to look at the color again to answer that.

I cannot answer sales related questions on CPF proper. Sending you a PM. :)

streetmaster

Enlightened
I would guess that it's the same OD that they have been doing since they started doing it themselves. (Natural is a thing of the past)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well just like a wish come true I just found the LD01,PD20/30,TK11,LD10/20 in OD finish at battery juction. Now there is something else to buy, as always the case.

ilLUMENati

Newly Enlightened
Maybe it people realized that Fenix's OD green is actually foliage green and got feed up with getting the wrong color? Just kidding. But honestly though, was a bit disappointed when I got an L2D almost year ago and noticed that it was closer in color to my foliage green maxpedition versipack than my OD green pants.

donald2036

Newly Enlightened
The natural finish was outsourced to a 3rd party anodizing shop. They were having QC issues which led to large amounts of scrapped components. They then went to an in-house olive anodizing instead, but as stated, have discontinued that since it does not sell well.

The ultimate true story is that Fenix was indeed having problems in getting a consistent OD color with their subcontract anodizing factory. Since the color varies slightly from each anodizing batch, It is always a sort of hassles to match the colors of each individual parts from different production bathces, in order to make it looks consistent. It also generates a massive scraps.

Since, Fenix kept receiving complains of an un-matched color of their OD color light, most seriously the TK10 due to it is composed of 4 individual parts (head, body, tactical ring, tail), as a result they have finally decided to take the OD colors away from their normal lineup. :party:
Pls forgive my poor english.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome News! I hated that Fenix had gone all black, there have been some lamenting of the fact in other threads.

---

Similar to mismatched colors I noticed the OD color looked very different on different models. My P3D has the best color (and it is consistent), but I only have 1 sample. When they were discontinued and starting to get rare I actually specifically bought Olive versions of L1D, L2D, and L0D even though I have have backups to the backups of these models.