• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB led tower for M6

DocD

Enlightened
Hi, does any modder's make a complete assembly that fits in place of the MN21 with maybe a R2,MC-E or P7 and if possable regulated or is a one off custom build? would any one like build me one? i don't mind modding the reflector on the M6 :thumbsup: any one fancy it:twothumbs
cheers DocD

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you buy all the bits and ship them to me I'll build it for you for free. Just cover the cost of shipping the finished tower from me to you?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
P7 won't fit unless you enlarge the reflector opening in the M6 TurboHead by about 3mm diameter.

Cree MC-E (in 2S2P) works. Seoul P4 works. I've done both. Never thought about a Cree R2. An R2 will fit through the KT4 reflector opening. LED die height might be close enough to the Seoul for the R2 to be focused.

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW I would stick to a P4. If this is going in an M6 with an isolated reflector / bezel.

I am running a LuxV at 1000mA of 11.1 volts in an M6 and that quite bright!

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like the Seoul P4 a lot. At 1000ma drive current, Vf is probably about 3.5V. This allows you to run your light in regulation with a single Li-ion cell, and even get reasonable direct drive output from a single Li primary. With the right driver, you can run your light with a wide range of battery options, such as 1xLi-ion, 2xLi-ion, 3xLi-ion, 2x123A, 3x123A, and 4x123A.

You can also configure a P4-based AW tower for a "low voltage" option if you use a boost driver fed by 2xNiMH, though this is probably irrelevant for an M6. Can be relevant, though, if you have a FiveMega 2xC cell body, and use a Classic to Millennium adapter to fit a KT4 head (or directly use a KT1/2 head).

DocD

Enlightened
Thanks for the replys and the pm's, you know who you are :twothumbs it's to be used in a Megalennium and the led set up is to get longer run time, then a wa1185 bulb. can i use the AW soft start switch with a led?
Does any one have some beam shots or run times for the P4 or a good guess at a R2 thanks DocD

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excuse my poor attempt at a beamshot :)

DSC01161.jpg

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replys and the pm's, you know who you are :twothumbs it's to be used in a Megalennium and the led set up is to get longer run time, then a wa1185 bulb. can i use the AW soft start switch with a led?
Does any one have some beam shots or run times for the P4 or a good guess at a R2 thanks DocD

I measure almost exactly 0.5A current draw at the tailcap. Estimated run time for a P4 tower running 2xAW16340 is about an hour. Proportionally longer if you use 2x17670 or 2x18650. If you can run 3xLi-ion, you might drop the current draw down to around 0.3A-0.35A (I don't have a 3x16340 tube to test this), giving you an estimated run time of about 1h 40m for 3x16340. With 4x123A primaries, you might get about 0.4A current draw and get about 3 hr run time. I do have a 4x16340 tube, but I forget what I actually measured.

In a Megalennium with 3x18650, I would estimate about 8 hr run time for nominally 2400 mAh cells. With a P4 tower, the light will run absolutely cool the entire time.

For a P4 tower in any of my SF THs, I get about 14,000 lux at 1 meter for the hot spot and about 100 lux halfway out for the spill. For an MC-E tower, I get around 9000 lux and 300 lux, respectively. I'll have to check my notes for the difference between my MC-E towers driven my an SOB1000 vs SOB1227. But I don't recall a big difference that justifies pushing the MC-E harder with the 1227. For comparison, I measure about 2300 lux for the hot spot in my old 80 lumen Gladius and 500 lux for the hot spot in my old SF L4. The spill for the MC-E tower is 60% of the hot spot for the famous "wall of light" of the L4.

Last edited:

jslappa

Enlightened
can i use the AW soft start switch with a led?

Yes, the AW Soft start will effectively give you 3 levels of brightness with an LED head. I used the AW soft start on my LED Zeppelin MZXR-5 Q5s and it works flawlessly. I have heard that there may be a slight loss of performance, meaning that on high, it might not allow full power, but I can't find the thread to confirm that thought. It will work, though.

That's very nice of LL to offer his services and expertise for free.

John

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
2S2P MC-E tower, SOB1000 driver, ceiling bounce, EV -1. About 21 feet to the windows.
AWtowerMC-EceilingbounceEV-1.jpg

P4 ceiling bounce, SOB1000 driver, EV -1
AWtowerSSCP4ceilingbounceEV-1.jpg

Same MC-E tower, 16 feet to the back wall of the hallway, EV -1.
AWtowerMC-Ebasementhallway16feetEV-.jpg

Same P4 tower as before, EV-1. Note the brighter hot spot vs the MC-E tower.
AWtowerSSCP4basementhallway16feetEV.jpg

MC-E tower in a TRTH.
AWtowerMC-EemitterinT-62TH.jpg

P4 tower in a KT4 head.
SureFireKT4TurboHeadwithAWLEDtowerc.jpg

P4 tower in an SRTH.
SRTH1.jpg

MC-E tower. This one is driven by an SOB1227.
AWtowerMC-Eemitter.jpg

A group photo of some P4 towers.
AW-Arcmaniatowermodules.jpg