• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired I am closing this Interest Thread for MC-E in a TLS / M Head

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All well this started out as a good idea and went down hill fast. KD is not able to furnish these lights and have dropped TAC and the TLS light from their website. They are not going to deal with this manufacturer anymore. When we switched from the head only to a very well priced flashlight things went down hill as the various items we wanted were not available on the light that KD offered.

I actually received the lights but they were of multiple configurations. When the wrong heads came in the company would not guarantee a time when the proper heads would be delivered. The first and actual TX3 head is now available only through one distributor and not available through KD. 1/2 the lights delivered to me would not fit any Surefire products because of a changed drop in design and no one wanted to replace it. It was an easy fix but between the factory and KD it became a problem. The factory could then not even deliver the head that was on their website.
In their defense I do believe that KD tried to make this happen and that TAC was the eventual down fall but who knows.

I am sorry for any inconvenience and I am glad I did not make this a prepay so at least I am the only one that has to be repaid and I will be taken care of.

Please PM with any questions.

Dave

PLEASE READ REPLY #16

This is an interest thread for modifying a batch of TLS M heads from Taclight with Cree MC-E in cool or warm whites.

These are well built after market M sized heads to fit Surefire Special Ops Lights and Millennium Weapon Lights.

• These are Aluminum bodies, Mil-Spec Type III hard anodized with O-ring sealed

• Available in Black or Natural

• Reflector is 2.4 inch TurboHead reflector, it is designed to produce a tight beam for long-range illumination

• Available in smooth with little spill and OP for more spill and a super smooth beam

• This is a quality built head with a nice heavy duty reflector.
These reflectors are a real chunk of aluminum, they are very thick with a lip at the top to help transfer heat which they readily do.

These come with a Q5 and a 2 level driver. I did not get near enough current to be able to use the drivers with a MC-E.

I am replacing the drivers with a 1.4 amp driver and wiring the MC-E 2S2P. These will unless I find a different solution will be a one level light.

They would be available in Warm and Cool Whites but the upper end of the cool whites.

Here are the Picts.

M3TLSMHead.jpg
M6TLSMHead.jpg

The HAIII matches very well with both of the above

MHead.jpg
InsidesII.jpg

Shot from the top

WallshotII.jpg

About the brightest and tightest spot on an MC-E that I have had

Without any focusing the beam was almost perfect, This was an M bin MC-E that is about 7500 K. The beam had the smallest of holes in the center which took less than a 1/2 turn to smooth to about the smoothest MC-E beam around.
The throw was literally almost as good as an R2 but more spill.

The operating voltage will be 6 to 14 volts

These TLS heads come in smooth or OP in reflectors
They come in Black or Natural

There are also M2E adapters & M2C adapters making these a very configurable product.

The price will depend on the number of these bought but they are a quality Turbo head and will end up in the $200 range.

So lets say until we see where this will go they should be $200 shipped CONUS and again will depend on the number there ends up being.

Thanks

Dave

Well here is the list Red is confirmed

1. Name Finish Reflector Bezel LED tint
  2. Led Zeppelin Natural - OP - SB
  3. Qtrhorse Natural - ? - ?
  4. Justin Case Black- SM - SM - WM with questions
  5. BSBG Natural - MOP - SB- neutral white
  6. DStutts- Natural - SM - SB - Cool
  7. OpenBolt1 Natural -MOP - Strike - Cool white
  8. Mudman CJ Natural - smooth -Strike - K bin
  9. JDriller Natural - MOP - SB - Neutral/Cool

Last edited:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Interest Thread for MC-E in a TLS / M Head

Dave, I'm in: HA natural, OP, strike bezel.

What a nice option for a long runtime Megalennium head.

Last edited:

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm thinking I would be in as well. I like the idea of a long running high output light like that. This is a good reason to get another Megalennium body and McClicky switch.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be interested, especially if you keep it single mode. If you go multimode, the UI cannot be one of those silly sequential access methods where you cycle through the modes via serial tailcap presses. Something a little more intelligent like a d2Flex UI would be far better. Unfortunately, that would probably raise the price point beyond $200.

Do you think you can find a 1.4A driver that will run in regulation on two Li-ions? An MC-E in 2S2P driven at 700ma per core is going to have a voltage drop of around 6.8V. At least for something like an SOB1400, that driver needs about 15% voltage headroom above the voltage drop of the load to run in regulation. That means about 7.8V which is right around what you are going to get with two Li-ions. And as the cells drain, it looks like running in regulation when cycling the light on and off could be cutting it close.

Frankly, I would trade off driving the MC-E at full power for less heat generation and ability to run in full regulation for a longer time with two Li-ions.

If your target market are people who will run with at least three Li-ions, then I guess I'm SOL.

BSBG

Enlightened

I'm interested - natural, strike bezel, not sure on the reflector or tint at the moment :thinking:.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be interested, especially if you keep it single mode. If you go multimode, the UI cannot be one of those silly sequential access methods where you cycle through the modes via serial tailcap presses. Something a little more intelligent like a d2Flex UI would be far better. Unfortunately, that would probably raise the price point beyond $200.

Do you think you can find a 1.4A driver that will run in regulation on two Li-ions? An MC-E in 2S2P driven at 700ma per core is going to have a voltage drop of around 6.8V. At least for something like an SOB1400, that driver needs about 15% voltage headroom above the voltage drop of the load to run in regulation. That means about 7.8V which is right around what you are going to get with two Li-ions. And as the cells drain, it looks like running in regulation when cycling the light on and off could be cutting it close.

Frankly, I would trade off driving the MC-E at full power for less heat generation and ability to run in full regulation for a longer time with two Li-ions.

If your target market are people who will run with at least three Li-ions, then I guess I'm SOL.

Hi Justin Case

Ideally my target will be three lion but that will not change the driver. I am planning to use a 1.4 amp one level driver. There are few choices in the 17MM flavor and PWM level changers are about all that are offered in this size.
A d2flex will not work because of added wires and such that it would take plus a D2flex is Direct drive. The UI I realize is really what you were after.
Even the SOB is not an option because it is .55 which is too small for us.

I actually was running a stock M6 6X16340 batt. holder this morning and it was working fine the voltage was right at 12 volts.

I understand your concern but we have but a few ways to go here. Because of the predetermined shape of the light I can wire it 2S2P and use a 1.4 amp driver. The can on this light is not big enough to accommodate a sandwich as that was the first way I tried so that it could be wired parallel but no go.
I have put you down for now and you can decide as we get to the end of the interest list.

I will keep looking for a better driver solution but there are only a few. Since the P7 can not be wired this way I do not have a solution for it unless I can get a sandwich to fit other than direct drive and that means limited battery choices.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:

dstutts

Newly Enlightened

I am interested if the driver can handle 3x 18650 rechargable. Natural, smooth reflector, smooth bezel, cool white.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

As you guessed, my mention of specifics like the d2Flex and SOB are merely examples of other implementations, not recommendations for specific usage here. The d2Flex UI IMO is pretty well thought-out. Certainly, light years beyond the brain-dead, sequential cycling UIs. As a point of information, the d2Flex can feed into PWM inputs of certain drivers that are capable of that sort of thing. Thus, the d2Flex is not just for direct drive. The der Wichtel driver is one example. The TaskLED hipCC is another. Neither is a 17mm board, though. Is that the diameter that fits in the TX3?

Can an adapter (essentially a collar) be made to fit 14mm boards to 17mm heat sink wells? Either way, you may have to pot the driver to provide an adequate thermal path to keep the components cool. I suppose it depends on the specific driver, its efficiency, the drive current, etc.

The way to go to accommodate 2xLi-ion is to forgo 1.4A drive current and throttle back to 1.0A or 1.2A. It may not make the full power crowd happy, but it expands the battery source flexibility for the light and appears to improve (at least on paper) run time in regulation. An M-bin MC-E at 500ma or 600ma per core, vice 700ma, is still going generate a lot of lumens.

WRT MC-E focus in a TH, this is my experience with three SF THs: TRTH, SRTH, and KT4. The first two give a very similar beam pattern. Slight defects in the hot spot beyond about 3 feet, not noticeable against real backgrounds. Smooth spill with no dark rings or other defects. Inside of 3 feet, clear MC-E cross. KT4 has no discernible defects beyond about 2-3 feet and just a hint of an MC-E cross inside of 2-3 feet. I am uncertain if this difference is due to the slightly different OP texture of the reflectors or if the KT4 has a slightly different focus point that happens to match my AW tower better. How much focus adjustment do you have?

Put me down for black, OP, smooth bezel, warm tint (assuming that your "cool" is on the cool end, not the warm end). If you know the specific tint bins, that would help.

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am interested if the driver can handle 3x 18650 rechargable. Natural, smooth reflector, smooth bezel, cool white.

I am shooting for this I will put you down and we will revisit specs as we get a little closer.

Thanks

Dave

As you guessed, my mention of specifics like the d2Flex and SOB are merely examples of other implementations, not recommendations for specific usage here. The d2Flex UI IMO is pretty well thought-out. Certainly, light years beyond the brain-dead, sequential cycling UIs. As a point of information, the d2Flex can feed into PWM inputs of certain drivers that are capable of that sort of thing. Thus, the d2Flex is not just for direct drive. The der Wichtel driver is one example. The TaskLED hipCC is another. Neither is a 17mm board, though. Is that the diameter that fits in the TX3?

Can an adapter (essentially a collar) be made to fit 14mm boards to 17mm heat sink wells? Either way, you may have to pot the driver to provide an adequate thermal path to keep the components cool. I suppose it depends on the specific driver, its efficiency, the drive current, etc.

The way to go to accommodate 2xLi-ion is to forgo 1.4A drive current and throttle back to 1.0A or 1.2A. It may not make the full power crowd happy, but it expands the battery source flexibility for the light and appears to improve (at least on paper) run time in regulation. An M-bin MC-E at 500ma or 600ma per core, vice 700ma, is still going generate a lot of lumens.

WRT MC-E focus in a TH, this is my experience with three SF THs: TRTH, SRTH, and KT4. The first two give a very similar beam pattern. Slight defects in the hot spot beyond about 3 feet, not noticeable against real backgrounds. Smooth spill with no dark rings or other defects. Inside of 3 feet, clear MC-E cross. KT4 has no discernible defects beyond about 2-3 feet and just a hint of an MC-E cross inside of 2-3 feet. I am uncertain if this difference is due to the slightly different OP texture of the reflectors or if the KT4 has a slightly different focus point that happens to match my AW tower better. How much focus adjustment do you have?

Put me down for black, OP, smooth bezel, warm tint (assuming that your "cool" is on the cool end, not the warm end). If you know the specific tint bins, that would help.

Hi Justin Case

Yes I knew you were mainly taling about the UI for the D2flex and no the d2flex is not just direct drive but the PWM must have the commands as does the D2flex to make it work if I understood what George told me. It does work with DW drivers but in the capacity that it effectively cuts the power to dim the light. Now with the HippCC it is actual code that directs the hipflex as some of the old D2flex are missing a line to make them work properly with the HippCC. Now I am not an engineer and I am sure that I simplified this drastically but I understand where you would like to be but I doubt we will come up with a driver that will accomadate this.
Now I can build your can as you would like it, if you would like it @ 1amp or 1.2 amps that can be accomplished and not a problem. As you stated most want every watt that the system can garner. :devil:

As for focus on these there is about one turn, not much at all. I actually have to use a PCB to mount the led to and generally would not when wiring 2S2P but the cans on these lights are fairly shallow and only allow the attachment of the spring by about one thread but still about a half inch of straight walled brass that also houses the spring. It is enough to totally eliminate the X in the center. These seem to be designed for a CREE led and the focus is quite good when cranked down tight. It leaves a very, very small doghnut hole in the center that dissapears before the threads do..

Thanks

Dave

bluecrow76

Enlightened

If you build this with a single mode driver to run the MC-E in 2S2P at 1.4A, couldn't the AW softstart 3 level driver switch be used to provide a UI for the light?

I would be interested in one for my Megalennium and/or M3T, but I need a few months to recuperate from recent expenditures! :broke:

niner

Enlightened

The lightengine for this light is just a standard P60 drop-in. In other word, you have tons of choice from so many different vendors.

Rommul

Enlightened

Could these internals fit a KT1.

Some of us have black Bigleef parts they want to make use of.

:)

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

The lightengine for this light is just a standard P60 drop-in. In other word, you have tons of choice from so many different vendors.

I am sure that you are correct that some other vendors will work but I would not count on all. I wired up a 2S2P on one of my cans for the P60 I build thought this would be easy until I screwed it in and there was no can left to attach the outer spring to and had to start over with their can.
I am sure you also know that the depth of the top of their can is several MM different than a conventional can which also will affect how far a conventional can will screw into the reflector.:)

Dave

Could these internals fit a KT1.

Some of us have black Bigleef parts they want to make use of.

:)

That is something I am not sure about so I would hate to comment on. You would have to replace reflector and all since this light engine does screw into the reflector as a standard drop in would.

Dave

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would assume that the TX3 internals can't fit in a KT1 unless you modify the KT1 to be a TX3. The KT1 uses a tower-style lamp assembly. As a previous poster notes, the TX3 uses a P60-style drop-in for the light engine (I don't have direct experience, so I'm going on the report above).

If you want an LED tower for the KT1, do a CPF search on "AW tower". For a very recent discussion on the subject, see this thread. You can also find towers for sale on CPF MP occasionally, usually made by Arcmania, Milky, yclo, and perhaps others. These towers fit the KT1/KT2, KT4, TRTH (T-62), and SRTH.

Does anyone know if the TX3 works with the OpticsHQ/TLS multifunction tailcap? I suppose it might, especially if the light engine is the same one they use for their P60 drop-in. It would be nice if the MC-E mod also is compatible with that tailcap, but if not, c'est la vie. It's not clear to me what characteristic of a driver board dictates compatibility. The SOB1000/P4 works with the TLS tailcap. I can't recall if the SOB1000/MC-E works. Deal Extreme 6090 and 11836 drop-ins do not work with the TLS tailcap. Malkoff M30 does not work with the tailcap.

Last edited:

openbolt1

Enlightened

I am interested if the driver can handle 3x 18650/17670 rechargables. Natural HAIII, smooth reflector, strike bezel & cool white MC-E tint.

Thanks,

openbolt

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi All

Well I think we may need to look at some other options. We all need to thank you to Niner and give him credit to the find of the week shoot maybe month.

Led Zepplin PM'd me and told me that Niner had found this head as a whole light. for much less than what the head cost by itself.

Here is the Link, http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=7715

This is the same head with a 2 X 18650 or 4Xcr123 tube and clicky tail switch for $70. The whole light is more than $50 cheaper than what the heads would cost. WOW this would mean that you could get a whole light for about $50 less than what we had been talking or around $150 with mod done.
WOW that is a deal.

Now in the link the light for sale is not a strike bezel and it is a smooth reflector which is what some of you all wanted anyway.

I have already contacted and recieved confirmation that we can get MOP reflectors and strike bezels. Since this all just came to my attention about an hour ago I am not sure if we can get Strike bezels on smooth or if they will just be offered on MOP but I have a feeling that even if I have to purchase one or two extra lights and switch items around I am sure these small items will work out in the wash.

Anyway I need to thank Niner again for such a find and will let you all mull all this over for awhile and then let me know what you think on this idea. To me it is a great deal for the price considering how nice the reflector and HAIII finish is and it is a whole light.

Thanks

Dave

niner

Enlightened

You are welcome.

I crashed into your thread and made a comment a few posts above. Hope I didn't upset you.

I have both TX3 and the KD special. qualities are exactly the same, very nice. Here's a picture of them. On the left is TX3 on M4, and on the right is "T5" in the short form.
IMG_1795.jpg

Did you say KD offers MOP reflector for this light? If they do, I will need to order a couple.

Thanks

BTW, did you see that? KD just raised the price on this light. But it is still a good buy.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are welcome.

I crashed into your thread and made a comment a few posts above. Hope I didn't upset you.

I have both TX3 and the KD special. qualities are exactly the same, very nice. Here's a picture of them. On the left is TX3 on M4, and on the right is "T5" in the short form.
IMG_1795.jpg

Did you say KD offers MOP reflector for this light? If they do, I will need to order a couple.

Thanks

BTW, did you see that? KD just raised the price on this light. But it is still a good buy.

That is hilarious they raised the price in the last couple of hours since I inquired, Oh Well it was only a buck from when i first saw it.

Yes I was told I could get them with MOP , but they did not say if could order just the relfectors. They also told me I could order with strike bezel.

When I order I will check on availability of just reflectors and no it did not make me mad I simply explained what I had found out to be true.

Again thanks for the heads up, if a person did not want the barrel it is still cheaper to buy this way, lots cheaper.

Thanks

Dave

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Many choices it looks like, one of the links you posted that is less I do not know if shipping is included and do not know how hard to deal with. I do deal right often with Jerry at KD and had an answer from him within minutes of writing him this morning to find out of availability of MOP and other configurations. He has when emailed always responded quickly when questions arose.

Dave