What should my CPF Starter kit contain?

chrisdab

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I just started looking over these forums 2 weeks ago. I have 2 eneloop kits with 16 AA and 8 AAA batteries total. I am also getting a La Crosse BC-900 Battery Charger. What I am missing are flashlights. I currently have a $2.50 light from an auto store as my main light.

What I have been looking at are under $50 budget flashlights from the budget flashlights roundup thread, and some lights from dealextreme, shiningbeam, fenix-store and liteflux.

The catagories I am looking for are the AA catagory flashlight, the AAA flashlight, the CR123A flashlight, and a cheap flashlight to buy extra (3x).

Lights I am considering:
(AA)
Romisen RC-N3 for $16.99 at DX
Romisen RC-N3 II Cree Q5 2-Mode for $24.95+shipping at shiningbeam
Romisen RC-G2 Cree Q5 for $18.95+shipping at shiningbeam
Fenix LD10 (~$55) at fenix-store/4sevens -thanks RobertM
Nitecore D10 (~$60) at 4sevens -thanks RobertM
Minimag multimode 2AA (~$20) at big box stores -thanks jzmtl
Eagletac P100A2 for $43 -thanks defloyd77

(AAA)

LiteFlux LF2X $60 at liteflux
LiteFlux LF2XT (available May/June) -thanks Flying Turtle
Fenix LD01 $44.95 at fenix-store/4sevens
Streamlight Microstream (~$18) -thanks RobertM

(CR123A)
Havnt looked into this catagory well, but the Romisen RC-N3 does support cr123a.
LiteFlux LF3XT $62 at liteflux -thanks Flying Turtle
SureFire G2 (~$40) incandecent -thanks RobertM

(Budget multi-purchase)
Romisen RC-G2 $11.30 at DX - the Q5 version is in the AA catagory
Akoray K-102 $8.80 at DX
TANK007 TK-701 $8.80 at DX - Dont get TK-702 version

Headlamps
Zebralight -thanks RobertM
Princeton Tec -thanks RobertM
This is all I could find that I want to include. The AAA catagory is not really needed if AA works just as good. As for CR123A, I will only be using disposable primaries so an efficient light works best. Any other ideas? Can you narrow this list down further?

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I just started looking over these forums 2 weeks ago. I have 2 eneloop kits with 16 AA and 8 AAA batteries total. I am also getting a La Crosse BC-900 Battery Charger. What I am missing are flashlights. I currently have a $2.50 light from an auto store as my main light.

What I have been looking at are under $50 budget flashlights from the budget flashlights roundup thread, and some lights from dealextreme, shiningbeam, fenix-store and liteflux.

The catagories I am looking for are the AA catagory flashlight, the AAA flashlight, the CR123A flashlight, and a cheap flashlight to buy extra (3x).

Lights I am considering:
(AA)
Romisen RC-N3 for $16.99 at DX
Romisen RC-N3 II Cree Q5 2-Mode for $24.95+shipping at shiningbeam
Romisen RC-G2 Cree Q5 for $18.95+shipping at shiningbeam

(AAA)
LiteFlux LF3XT $62 at liteflux
LiteFlux LF2X $60 at liteflux
Fenix LD01 $44.95 at fenix-store
Fenix E01 $15 at DX

(CR123A)
Havnt looked into this catagory well, but the Romisen RC-N3 does support cr123a.

(Budget multi-purchase)
Romisen RC-G2 $11.30 at DX - the Q5 version is in the AA catagory
Akoray K-102 $8.80 at DX

This is all I could find that I want to include. The AAA catagory is not really needed if AA works just as good. As for CR123A, I will only be using disposable primaries so an efficient light works best. Any other ideas? Can you narrow this list down further? Should I add a headlamp catagory?

:welcome:

I see that you are looking at the budget lights thread, but do you have a specific budget in mind for all the lights in total?

Here is what I'd suggest for getting started:

AA: Fenix LD10 (~$55) or Nitecore D10 (~$60)
These would be great all-around, everyday use lights.

AAA: Streamlight Microstream (~$18) or Fenix LD01 (~$45)
Either of these lights make great keychain lights for everyday use. I'd go for the SL MS of the two.

CR123: SureFire G2 (~$40)
While this is incandescent and not as efficient as the LED lights, it's a great, reliable, tough-as-nails incan that would compliment the above AA and AAA lights.

From the above suggestions, I'd use the AAA on a keychain, an AA for everyday carry, and the SF G2 for outdoors use since it's an incandescent (incans have better color rendition than LEDs which is often times quite noticeable outdoors).

Headlamps can be quite useful too. Many on here like the Zebralight headlamps. I'd suggest you take a look at Zebralight and Princeton Tec for headlights.

-Robert

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You might want to add the Photon Proton Pro to the 1 AA category. Also, the LF3XT should not be in the AAA group. It is a CR123 light, and one that I would highly recommend. For a AAA light a new LiteFlux, the LF2XT, should be out sometime this month.

Geoff

chrisdab

Newly Enlightened
Any opinions on budget flashlights that I can buy multiples of? So far what I have is:

Romisen RC-G2 $11.30 at DX
Akoray K-102 $8.80 at DX
Fenix E01 $15 at DX/4sevens

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

#1 a pocketable light such as a Arc AAA or Aeon.

#2 a good headlamp, I like Tikkas.

#3 a good hand held, there are many! A 6P is a good starter, you can do alot with this platform.

Enjoy!!!

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think one high quality light that accepts dropins would be the best way to go. Just today I got a 6p dropin from nailbender with an Osram Diamond Dragon emitter at 1.5 amps. It's a great way to try out new emitters without building a dedicated light. So I'd cast my vote for a surefire 6p, I think they can even be found at lowes nowadays.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Hmm I think EVERYONE (Flashaholic's and everybody else combined) Should own a Surefire 6P or the equivalent. Such a good platform to build off of as far as switches, clips, rechargeable batteries, drop-in mod's, holsters, and just about anything else you could ever need/want.

And if you can be a little more spendy an RA Clicky or Novatac 120. These lights are the epitome of an EDC light. They are robust, great UI, plenty bright for any real world task's, and did I mention they're about as "bulletproof" as you can get?

And to add to the list youll need a Modded Mag of some sort, a Fenix light (or many many as most members here) Maybe a Surefire E1B or E2DL, and a good charger and some rechargeables for the guilt-free lumens many of us enjoy!

:welcome: and now is a good time to register in the Marketplace

brucec

Enlightened
It looks like you want to try a bunch of different battery configurations. The best way to do this is to get a Fenix P2D (1xCR123A) + L1D (1xAA) battery tube + L2D (2xAA) battery tube. They all use the same head which is one of the best bang for the buck lights out there in terms of quality, runtime, brightness, versatility, etc. Since the head just swaps onto any of these tubes, it will be a real apples to apples comparison of all of the different batteries. Based on my personal experience, you will find the performance of 1xCR123A to be about the same as 2xAA, with 1xAA good but definitely less than the other two. Hope this helps.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should also consider the Eagletac P100C2 and the soon to be released T100C2. They are both 2 CR123 lights, and both under $50. They have high output and are of good quality, and have 2 modes.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
To save money consider also the flexibility of lights with optional battery tubes. A Peak Pacific can be fitted out with both AA and AAA tubes allowing you to use one quality head assembly (with a choice of drive levels) with different battery configurations depending on your particular needs.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
My recommendations:

AA-Fenix L2T or LD10.The L2T is an older model with only 2 modes but it is also less expensive.

AAA-Fenix LDO1

CR123-Nitecore EX10,INOVA T1 or T2 and the SF G2 to give you a quality incan

BUDGET-For budget lights I like the DORCY LED replacement bulb($10) in the Energizer 2AA Industrial($5).Not overly bright but will run on whatever AAs are available and is decent quality.

Headlamp-Not much experience here but the Zebralights are the most appealing design to me.

I find that I like the CR123 lights the best even though you have to buy the batteries online to get a reasonable price.

fishx65

Enlightened
Like a lot of others have said, a 6P is a great way to start. Order a $10.00 R2 drop-in from DX for it and you have one heck of a torch.

polkiuj

Enlightened
Hey there!

I would recommend

2xAA Eagletac P100A2. Superbly bright. Does not change modes with button presses. All the tac light you need in a cheap package.

2xCR123A 2008 Inova T1 (T1-MP). Nice floody light. Warm tint. 4+ hours regulated, 1+ hour moon mode. Throws about the same as a LD10 on 1xAA. SUPER SOLID FEEL. Awesome button. Comes with batteries!! If this is not your primary light, you'll probably never need new batteries! LIFETIME WARRANTY and pretty cheap!! Use this light when failure is not an option. Choose a T2 if you need more throw and a less solid feel. Or a Surefire if you're rich.

Get a 1xAA or 1xAAA light that fits into your pockets for EDC (not that the above 2 does not, LOL). Fenix's LD10, L1D, L0D looks nice. Nitecore's DI and D10 looks nice too. Liteflux's looks awesome too. And a whole lot of others. Lol. I find the Fenix the most versatile (I have an LD10) because it has low, med, high, turbo, an awesome strobe (if you need it) and a hidden Super Turbo mode. Run a fresh Li-ion in it and you should see 200+ lumens in a 1xAA Fenix or roughly 2.8x the output of turbo. Dun run it too long of leave it alone like that due to heat issues though. =D

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my first "real" light. If you can spend a little more than $50 (~$58), the Fenix LD20 (price is ~$58, with coupon code "CPF8" at 4Sevens.com) is a great light. Good output, throw, etc. An easy to grasp UI (I don't have any other multi-mode lights, but I picked up the UI in 5 seconds). You could also get the LD10, and eventually get the LD20 battery tube (LD10 is the 1x AA body, turbo= 110 lm's, instead of 180).

Kestrel

Flashaholic
+ whatever on the SureFire 6P, a fantastic starter light.

If I would have gotten one of these before my other SureFires, it would have saved me a lot of time, money, and hassle. It upgrades very very easily, after you learn what kinds of things you like and what you don't (incan vs LED, rechargeable vs primary, warm vs cool tint, throw vs flood, twisty vs clicky), you can just dial in your 6P to perfection. It's easier to upgrade or modify than pretty much any other light.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends : On You ...

A good 1 x CR123A Q5 or R2 EDC
A good 1 x 18650 R2 - Belt/puch
A good 1 x 18650 SSC P7 Night stand/Glove box/back pack .

That should cover most things : The rest ?

djblank87

Enlightened
Do yourself a favor and get the following:

1. Surefire 6P
2. Malkoff M60

Then start building your collection.

Last edited: