Recommend me a stable wireless router

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Linksys compact has been dropping connections at the rate of once every 1-2 weeks since I got it. I had a Netgear that did the same so I pretty much came to expect that wireless networks weren't super reliable/solid.

Now that my Linksys finally died I am looking for a reliable/stable router to replace it. Can someone recommend me good one?

I have a Mac Book Pro w/Intel Core 2 Duo and I believe it supports 802.11n?

I also have an Airport Express in 802.11n which I pulled off my remote speakers and printer to use it as a router temporarily. I will need a second router as the cable and cable modem are in the living room and the printer and speakers are in the kitchen. Anyone know if I can use a USB hub and connect a printer and an extra HD?

Most important features

- Reliable - stable connection that supports 802.11n
- Range is a non issue because I live in a 1bd room apt (1000sq ft)
- USB Connection is a plus (I want to hook up an external HD)

Thanks in advance, I know there are a few Mac pros here at CPF!

EDIT:

I just realized I've been using a 802.11g router and the Airport Express 802.11n for only the printer and speakers....Its so much faster now! *doh!*
I still want another 802.11n router because I love my remote speakers and the Airport Express has audio out

Last edited:

da.gee

Enlightened
Why not a new Airport? Meets all your requirements. Keeps it in the family. They have a USB port for the printer and you can connect a USB hub for the hard drive.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not a new Airport? Meets all your requirements. Keeps it in the family. They have a USB port for the printer and you can connect a USB hub for the hard drive.

Yeah Im thinking I should fork out the $$$ and just keep it in the Mac family, I guess you can't connect a HD to the Express but you can with the Extreme.

Ideally, I would have Airport Extreme in the living room near the modem, have the HD there and put the Express back in the kitchen and have the printer and speakers there.

Doing more research I found that for internet access, my 802.11g router was more than capable of handling the 10mb speed I have? It maxes out at 54mb and going 802.11n would only increase LAN transfer speeds?

Dan FO

Enlightened
Are you using a DSL? If so try replacing the filters on your phone lines, that is often the problem. ;)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the recommendation for a new Airport.

Personally, I love my Linksys WRT54GL (note the "L"--very important--stands for "Linix"), which I have flashed with DD-WRT. I doesn't have "n", but the only time that would be important for me would be file sharing over the network, as my internet connection is way slower than even "g" speeds. But, talk about stable. I have NEVER, EVER had even one dropped connection or funkiness or anything like that. Rock stable. I could have uptimes as long as I wanted, but I turn it off and back on again about once every 3 or 4 months. Plus, the range is incredible since I upped the output to 240 mW/m. Nice feature of DD-WRT. Heard great things about Tomato, too.

Anyway, back OT, if I ever get a new router, it will probably be an Apple, but I'll research it when the time comes.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a new AirPort, but you'd do well to consider the Apple Time Capsule instead. It's everything of the AirPort router plus it has a built-in hard drive for the Time Machine backup. The drive turns out to be a good deal if you know how much server-grade drives are. You can pick up at the Apple online outlet store for just $60 more than the AirPort. (store -> refurbished -> mac accessories) You still get to use the internal drive for other uses and you can still connect another drive to the USB port for other stuff.

Backup, backup, backup. :)

Yes, you can attach multiple devices via a USB hub. Get one that has its own supplemental power source. Some external devices are touchy about getting their full share of USB power, especially external drives and I know hp printers are.

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Belkin b/g router for my PC . works great, was cheap on ebay. easy to set up.

The Belkin replaced a Linksys wrt54g. I could never get that to work solid. After a lot of research, the recommended fix was to get 3rd party firmware.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used a variety of routers over the years. I suggest avoiding the linksys routers. There are several devices I have owned which would connect to any other brand, but just could not connect to the linksys versions, and the range / capacity seemed to be very generously rated.

I am now using a netgear rangemax - N router to support my home / home office needs which includes
- 4 users / laptops (1 vista, 1 xp, 2 flavors of mac os)
- 1 ipod touch
- 1 Nokia internet pad
- 1 Nokia cell phone with wifi
- 1 HP wirelss multi function printer

Yes, sometimes we do run out of DSL bandwidth - cannot really tell if we have ever run out of router bandwidth. When that hapepns, I switch my vista laptop over to to the sprint data card.

I am guessing that the airport router is fine, but I go to some pain to make sure that the hardware we have can support XP, Vista, Linux, Nokia and Mac. This makes me hesitant to buy multifunction hardware from apple, sony or ms.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Personally, I love my Linksys WRT54GL (note the "L"--very important--stands for "Linix"), which I have flashed with DD-WRT.
Another vote for the Linksys WRTG's. They're excellent, even if you don't flash them. After the DD-WRT flashing, you'll have a plethora of options to play with. We must have 4 or 5 of those (all flashed now) in the family.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used a variety of routers over the years. I suggest avoiding the linksys routers. . . .

The WRT54GL router is made to higher standards (and costs more) than the other Linksys routers--or so I have read. That could explain the difference between those who say linksys routers are junk and those who have had good experiences with them (like me). I know that you can't usually buy the WRT54GL at your local stores, which maybe says something.

Anyway, good recommendation on Time Capsule. Both models do have enterprise class drives in them.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read somewhere that the WRT54G routers have the antenna setting at something like 30%. The firmware upgrades allow the users to set a higher percentage, which in turn will give better results. I had my laptop 7 feet away in the same room. It started at 54 meg and excellent. Ten minutes later it was at 4 meg and poor. There were no cordless phones or any of the other items that might affect it around.

Then I got a Belkin - always at 54 meg, always excellent.

seaside

Enlightened
Not all WRT54G are great.

Great WRT54G models are old bulky model before 2008, mainly version 1, 2, 3 and 4. Version 5, maybe. Until, this point WRT54G was fantastic. No doubt about it.

Then Lynksys started to cheap out. Web based firmware instead of linux based one, cut internal memory into half to prevent users loading linux based hacked firmware into the router, using crappy no name chinese capacitors, etc. That made version 6 and 7 unstable piece of crap. Almost all bad reviews are associated with those newer two versions. You still can flash firmware with DD-WRT mini version though, it is not as good or feature rich as full version.

At the same time, they come up with WRT54GL model, which basically is old version 4 WRT54G with different firmware. That's why WRT54GL is rock stable like old ones.

Then they discontinued old bulky model and indroduced newer round plastic thingy, which basically is a fancy looking plastic box.

For me, I would'nt go for lynksys at this time. I had bad luck wiht netgear products, so they are out. Some Dlink models are known to be picky, and can't be flashed with DD-WRT, so they are out too.

If I were OP, I will go to DD-WRT website, and check compatibility first before get a new router.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any DD-WRT compatible router is perfect.

I've had really good luck Linksys routers that are compatible. Specifically the WRT-350N, 300N, 310N, 600N, and 150N.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great thread. I'm looking for a new wireless router too.

Is anyone using the Tomato firmware on their router. I was looking at the Linksys WRT54GL router on NCIX and most of the reviewers mentioned using Tomato.

Thanks - Greg

cerbie

Enlightened
Not all WRT54G are great.

Great WRT54G models are old bulky model before 2008, mainly version 1, 2, 3 and 4. Version 5, maybe. Until, this point WRT54G was fantastic. No doubt about it.

Then Lynksys started to cheap out. Web based firmware instead of linux based one, cut internal memory into half to prevent users loading linux based hacked firmware into the router, using crappy no name chinese capacitors, etc. That made version 6 and 7 unstable piece of crap. Almost all bad reviews are associated with those newer two versions. You still can flash firmware with DD-WRT mini version though, it is not as good or feature rich as full version.
VxWorks, I believe, and it was really done to save them a decent bit on the hardware (notice how the *GL cost was higher, but the new *G was the same price as the old one). However, there is a lack of n support w/ the WRT54GL, so it's no good for the OP.

For non-DD-WRT supporting routers, I think Netgear and Belkin are alright, am not at all fond of SMC, and D-Link can be spotty (like Linksys).

buickid

Enlightened
I second the recommendation for a new Airport.

Personally, I love my Linksys WRT54GL (note the "L"--very important--stands for "Linix"), which I have flashed with DD-WRT. I doesn't have "n", but the only time that would be important for me would be file sharing over the network, as my internet connection is way slower than even "g" speeds. But, talk about stable. I have NEVER, EVER had even one dropped connection or funkiness or anything like that. Rock stable. I could have uptimes as long as I wanted, but I turn it off and back on again about once every 3 or 4 months. Plus, the range is incredible since I upped the output to 240 mW/m. Nice feature of DD-WRT. Heard great things about Tomato, too.

Anyway, back OT, if I ever get a new router, it will probably be an Apple, but I'll research it when the time comes.

+1 for the WRT54GL with DDWRT :D