Good light for clubbing people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottm

Newly Enlightened
I looked at a few of the self-defense threads, didn't find what I'm after. I'm an airline pilot, I can't carry much that's useful for self-defense. My 4D and 4C Maglights are retired after threats to confiscate from TSA. I like my old 3C Maglight, would like something like that in LED. I have an old bicycle innertube on my Maglight, an old maintenance trick to make it more waterproof and grippy. A thin rope (parachute cord) wrapped around the barrel under the bicycle tube gives it some texture, and makes a nice lanyard at the head end. So, I'm not worried about grip or feel, just something durable.

I have two Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 3C, 4W lights. Nice lights, but both failed at solder joints, kinda flimsy construction when I dissected them. Bright, good beam, and good price.

I can't use rechargeable batteries, not allowed. Lithium C-cells would be nice if available. Backup will be a Fenix LD01, which I need to buy because I lost mine in DFW last week.:mecry:

Disclaimer: I'm not actually planning on clubbing anyone, or using a flashlight as a landing light.

And yes I plan to do the FFDO program, but I turn in my gun in foreign countries, which is where I fly to.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an old text, but still good. It has some flashlight selection guidance. You'll have to generalize it to today's selections.

John Peters
Defensive Tactics With Flashlights
Publisher: Reliapon Police Products
ISBN 0-923401-02-4

Besides mechanical strength and no rechargeable batteries, what illumination selection criteria do you have, if any?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want a light that's good for clubbing people, but you don't intend to club anyone with it?

Maybe you should just get a small light and pretend it's big?

Illum

Flashaholic
I think this is an interesting topic worthy of discussion, but not in the family forum here...better suited in the underground. :thinking:

Mr_Light

Enlightened
FYI, combo pack of the 3D Rebel Maglite and multi-mode Rebel 2AA Maglite at Costco for $29.99.

You could always get a 3 Cell magled upgrade for you 3C Mag (they are going for $10-12 these days).

I'm sure someone here could sell you a SSC modded 3C Mag.

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you like your 3C Mag, just update it.

BTW, don't be surprised when this thread is closed. Advocating lights be used for aggressive actions against people or animals is heavily frowned upon by the community.

sabre7

Enlightened
Maybe you should be discussing carrying clubs and guns and other weaponry on planes with the TSA since this inappropriate thread will soon close.

scottm

Newly Enlightened
Besides mechanical strength and no rechargeable batteries, what illumination selection criteria do you have, if any?

My Maglight was adequate with 76ish lumens, more is of course better. Flood is nice when inspecting the engine intakes, spot when looking up at the tailfin of a 767 (my current job). Huge lumens might be overwhelming for checking a tire pressure gauge.

How about the 5.11 Light for Life, Fenix TK40.

Yike, that's a sweet light! I may have to rethink my priorities. The idea was that a long flashlight is the most deadly thing I can get through security. 8" isn't much of a club, but what a light! I don't think I can sift through three separate threads discussing it. What is 4Sevens asking for these? Might be nice to get it with the LD01.

What about the TA30? It looks unnecessarily long, which is good for me, I'd like to see some dimensions. I'm not a fan of exotic batteries but could simply carry a dozen spares in a special steel tube, heh.

scottm

Newly Enlightened
If you like your 3C Mag, just update it.

Those seem like fairly limited compromises. Not especially efficient and only one brightness.

BTW, don't be surprised when this thread is closed. Advocating lights be used for aggressive actions against people or animals is heavily frowned upon by the community.

Thanks, I figured a title that cut to the chase would be better than vague comments about self defense. The other threads that I found all went into martial arts and pepper spray and morals and such. I just need a light I can protect myself with, not many ways to nice that up.

The ad at the top of my page shows a Glock with a flashlight on it. I suppose that's for target practice in the dark?

Last edited:

sweetlight

Newly Enlightened
The ad at the top of my page shows a Glock with a flashlight on it. I suppose that's for target practice in the dark?

Touche!

FWIW, I think a pilot that wants to be able to defend himself or his passengers, especially in these times we live in should be encouraged.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK so I totally clicked into this thread because I wasn't sure if you meant a light for 'hitting people' or a light for 'taking to a rave/dance club.' :)

Only a C/D cell light would have enough mass to 'club' someone with. The new, smaller lights are going more in the direction of crenellated heads and tailcaps as defenisve weapons of last resort.

I don't know what you're flying but I know a frequent military and civilian pilot criteria is being able to put out a bright spot at ~60-80' for pre-flight walkarounf inspection of the rudder/vertical stabilizer.

So, assuming you need that throw/spot beam and want something that could serve as a defensive weapon that leaves modding your Maglite as suggested above or a quality tactical light with good throw ala Olight M20, Surefire E2DL, Fenix TA30, etc, all of which run on 2-3 x CR123A's. There are a few nice spare battery carrying solutions on the market; a steel container is actually a very poor choice as the metal is conductive which could be potentially hazardous. I would suggest a small Pelican case.

american lockpicker

Enlightened
FYI, combo pack of the 3D Rebel Maglite and multi-mode Rebel 2AA Maglite at Costco for $29.99.

You could always get a 3 Cell magled upgrade for you 3C Mag (they are going for $10-12 these days).

I'm sure someone here could sell you a SSC modded 3C Mag.

I've been looking at buying both of those. Do you know of a website that sells that combopack?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts