Best LS MiniM*G adaptor to finish off used AA

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to ask what the best (read brightest for longest time) Luxeon adaptor for the MiniM*G would be to finish off used AA's. Hopefully something that will have a somewhat regulated output.

It looks like the "new" Inretech and the Madmax (what about the MM+?) are the best choices. Any others I'm missing? This would be used for a few minutes at a time several times a day with the NX-05 optics. I'll probably get a Kroll tailcap for it also.

Currently the only LS light I have is an AB modified Grey Kit that he said was brighter than a Surefire L1. So you can use this info for brightness comparisons.

freewheelin'

Enlightened
I just got my first dropin yesterday, a MadMax 500 and it blows away my ARCLS's. I like it a lot. I've got an inretech inbound but haven't got it yet so no comparason yet but I left the MM on last night for an hour and a half with 2 1800 NIMH's and it had just started to din at that point and was warm but not hot.
BTW I got a reply to another post from Inretach that stated their droppin's are not optimal with NIMH's, but if your going to finish off alky's I think they would be great.
Also if you don't have a MiniMag there is the Brinkman AA that come with a tail clickie.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your AAs are spent, perhaps under 0.8V, I don't think you're going to get regulation. I run "dead" batteries in my MM+Opalec until the red battery LED comes on and then it's still good for a couple of days of intermittent use.

When my Lambda Illuminator starts to drop in output, it goes quickly. Popped in the Opalec, still nice and bright. I guess it depends on the level at which you want it regulated. I just don't think there's a good LS application for battery draining but I could be wrong.

Wilkey

obeck

Newly Enlightened
If I wanted to finish off AA batteries, I'd get a CMG Infinity Ultra. Its not a luxeon star, but then LSs are not going to run very long on almost-dead AAs anyway.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your best option would be a MadMax or MadMax+ since they will take the batteries all the way down to .8 volts. This is lower than the Opalec or BadBoy.

Pat

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the MM+ be brighter than the regular MM at the same battery voltages as the batteries drop?

Also does anyone know the minimum voltage of the new Inretech AA adaptors?

Oh, and I already have an Infinity Ultra using these batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of cells that are below .9V each, and both power a dim LS in a BB500 minimag as well as you can ask them to. These guys won't even power up an Opalec anymore. It won't power up an ArcLS anymore as well. But a BB will happily accept it and glow...

jtice

Flashaholic
Ive heard that the Opalec Newbeam is more regulated. But that means it will not take the batteries down as far. You would be better off with a BadBoy or MadMax. But Im not sure which would be better.. (BB or MM).

Im thinking a MM turned down alittle would run the longest.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be inclined to say a turned down MadMax would do well to suck out the last drop...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
MM will sucks every drop out of the battery. In fact, you can run it using a single AA cells. Same also with a micropuck. Both will take as low as .8 V, in which voltage most of the batteries would not have sufficient just to let the current flows.
However, there is one drawback of using such a low voltage device. Especially in rechargeables. you risking of reverse discharging your battery. On alkaline, you risking on getting your battery leaked.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt I would run the batteries too low. Keep in mind these batteries would be thrown away otherwise. So if the light gets dim I'll probably just chuck the batts and install other used ones.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put my *used* AAs in my Infinity and use it as a computer night light.... viz sticking it at the top of my monitor and pointing the beam towards the keyboard.

It pretty much drains it of all *juice* after several days of use...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I'm trying to see how far down I can get these 2 particular AA Duracell batteries to go without leaking them...

One measures: .833V
The other measures: .818V

And they're still able to power up a BB500 to a slither of dim light... I'm letting them recover here and there, and powering them down inbetween...

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops, I made a mistake up above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

The MadMax has a minimum input voltage of .8 volts (total) taking each cell down to .4 volts.

BadBoys need a minimum of 1.6 volts. These figures are from Wayne's (Dat2Zip's) specs. on his web site.

Pat

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howard@MBox -

Great idea.

FalconFX -

Why don't you do a test proving the physics of your theory? Oh, my bad. That is what you are doing.

treek13 -

Facts? Facts are good. Even though I don't know what asking two AAs for their last .4 volts will technically do, I would think that would be a safe depletion quotient.

Tree -

I wrote this before I saw what Howard@mbox, FalconFX and treek13 had posted.

Last year when dat2zip's BadBoy 400, BadBoy 500 and MadMax became available again I was listening to what other members where saying about them.

I bought two BB500s and one MM. I bought the MM (based on what others were saying) for three reasons. 1) adjustable 2) you could run lithiums and not waste juice like would happen if you ran lithiums in a BB and 3) you could deplete all your used AAs with the added bonus of environmental friendliness.

I could be wrong but I believe your best bet is the MM. I'm thinking that the guys that are saying turn it down are right. One great thing about this choice is that you could get one of the Q3's (don't have one)/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif that from what I understand will deliver a 2 X AA X 1W LS beam that is superior or equal to the Top Guns in that category.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right Icebreak looks like the MadMax is the winner.

Thanks everyone.

Although I don't know if I will have enough self control to purposely make a flashlight dimmer by turning down the MM's adjustment knob. Next bit of spare cash goes to a MM+ Q3.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe I advocated dimming a flashlight. I'll have to take a self emposed time out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
LOL, funny Icebreak....

I like the idea a adjusting it. That way , one light will serve 2 different purposes. If I need just alittle light, for reading maps etc. i can turn it down... if I want Brightness, I'll crank it up.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Too bad the controll is on the inside, it would be mighty convenient to be able to dim it from the outside.