How does my Mag623 recipe sound?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
After searching and reading and researching here, I think I'm probably going to go forth with building one. I just want to run my list of parts/components by you guys before ordering everything.

So here is what I plan to order--how does this sound:

Maglite 3D (with shortened tailcap spring)
AW Mag D Incan Driver (soft start/multimode)
4x AW IMR26500
52.1mm Borofloat Lens
3x Osram 64623 lamps
Aluminum 12.7mm reflector
PVC pipe as D>C sleeve

Anything I've overlooked? :thinking:

Thanks in advance everyone,
Robert

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That about covers it, Robert! :thumbsup:

About the only thing you'll need to do is slightly bore out the PVC to fit the 26500's. Oh, and do a low resistance mod on the tailspring (solder a heavy gauge wire from the top of the spring to the bottom).

Enjoy! :)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
As Bimmerboy says, the 1" (I.D.) PVC is a tight fit. I clamshelled mine with a hacksaw as shown here, which gives some room for heat expansion. The tailcap spring fix is shown here (sand surfaces and use a little flux before soldering some 14-16 AWG wire), otherwise you are good to go.

Make sure your cells are making contact end to end. Let the guideline "too hot to hold" be your guideline on run time, otherwise you run the risk of the heat causing damage to components, and if your reflector has a mirror coating, some have had those peel by extended run time, ignoring the heat buildup. Total run time should be in the neighborhood of about 10 mins.

Oh one more thing....with these cells, you DO NOT WANT to run them down below about 3.0V or you can damage them. So first few times, pay attention to run time and brightness level, and error on the side of opening up tailcap and checking cell voltages until you learn how far you can push them.

This is also why many of use are interested in that AlanB regulated driver that I linked above. It delivers optimal output voltage, and can have a low battery cutoff to protect them.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like 7000 bulb lumens of joy to me.
I think you have all the necessary items covered. Let us know how it turns out. :devil:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like an interesting project :popcorn:

How much would you estimate all that stuff will cost?

So far I estimate ~$220 shipped for everything. The only hiccup in my plan is that fivemega is sold out of the reflectors.

Since the reflector is sold out, does anyone know if I could use a 100w or 150w MR16 with all the above parts? I see that they are bi-pin and 51mm in diameter.

Something like this 100w/12v OSRAM SYLVANIA 64637 100w MR16 light bulb or this 150w/15v OSRAM SYLVANIA EFR-5/X 150w HLX light bulb? What are the thoughts of you incan pros out there? :)

-Robert

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the AW Mag D Incan Driver a necessary part of this build for the soft start function? Is it guaranteed to instaflash without it?

This is the 623 that I want to build.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hi RobertM,

An MR16 is certainly worth a shot as a temporary tide-you-over. I have enjoyed a few builds around them and think they are rather fun. Keep in mind that they don't reflect heat primarily out the front like a good reflector will, a lot of the IR heat passes right through the glass reflector back into the housing, which, in this case, means the flashlight. I have done ~120W into a MR-16, and it sure heats things up fast at the head.

Something in the 1000-2000hr rated life range will probably be the way to go there.

supasizefries

Enlightened
Is the AW Mag D Incan Driver a necessary part of this build for the soft start function? Is it guaranteed to instaflash without it?

This is the 623 that I want to build.

It's not essential, but is highly desired. I made my 623 with Kiu's high temp socket. Mine uses 12 1.2 V NiMH cells. I can fire up mine up with the pack hot off the charger without insta:poof:ing the bulb. But keep in mind, YMMV.