Book lights?

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
I use either the Nite-ize 3LED minimag upgrade, or my E2DL or Backup on low with a F04 diffuser.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Zebralight H30. Other than the blue tint (the warm wasn't available yet), it's good enough for me.

My wife's tried reading with various headlamps, but has never been happy wearing one, and this year put "book light" at the top of her Xmas want list. I looked around, and pretty quickly concluded that all currently available book lights are junk (and I haven't seen anything in the past six months to suggest otherwise), but I ended up buying her a Mighty Bright XtraFlex 2. There's nothing about it that is impressive by CPF standards - 2x 5mm LED, typical 5mm blue tint, 3x AAA, etc - but the wife loves it, and she's gone out of her way to tell me so many times. :shrug:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I would personally avoid anything that ran on coin cells. Using an AAA based book light, you can at least use convenient rechargeables.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have seen similar ones of these. If its the single LED then its a little bit poor. The top of the page is lit but towards the bottom of the page, it gets a little bit dim. Here is one thats similar to the one I have.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DJADY/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Theres 3 led version which is much better but the top of the page is really bright close up. Here is one thats similar to the one I have.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I6REVO/?tag=cpf0b6-20

the use of the CR2032 battery or other 3V lithium button batteries is interesting though. The one I have doesnt have a resistor in it so its 6V over the led. Not sure if thats good without a resistor but I've had other like it and they still run. Not sure how the 3 LED version works though, I haven't opened it up but I suspect it might be 3 LED's parallel and no resistor.

Generally, the quality of the LED isnt great either. Certainly no nichia GS. Thats on the ones I have. It could be different with the GE ones, unless they are just re-badged versions of the ones I have.

What I use is an E01 inside a rubber tube and tucked on my ear. One day I'll build a lighter joule thief version. The E01 falls off sometimes when you move around. I have built a hook and hung the E01 from the ear. That works ok sort of. Needs to a bit further away from the side of the head as it obscures some of the light. If fenix made a lighter, plastic version of the E01, I'd probably stick it my mouth.

Last edited:

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
I agree with the above, the cheap book lights are total junk (utterly
worthless!)

The only one I could find was the Mighty Bright (they aint actualy "mighty" bright BTW) but I dont use them for reading, I have them clamped to my
leopard gecko terrariums for when I clean and feed.
They should be feed in subdued light, hence the Mighty Brights so I can
navigate while not disturbing the lizards.
Hows that for a unique use for book lights?

LEDad

Newly Enlightened
I have found the Mighty Brights to be good and useful reading lights. My son uses one clipped to a lap desk in the car to read or to do homework and I carry one when I travel to read at night. The clip is very useful and it uses AAA batteries. Also, the flexible neck means it can be positioned to illuminate a large area. All in all, a very useful light.