LD10 Turbo not working?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a new Fenix LD10 and when I switch to turbo it only outputs the same as high mode. The strobe function works properly but its just not outputting in turbo. I have cleaned/lubed, changed battery's and still no change. I tried different head from a PD20 and it works fine. I have never seen this problem any suggestions before I have to send it back.

Marduke

Flashaholic
What battery are you using?

The difference between high and turbo on the LD10 is not that much to the human eye.

fenixmad

Banned
it's a fair amount of difference you'll see the increase by human eye i suggest getting a multimeter and measuring both high and turbo... my LD10 there's quite a visible difference.

MonkRX

Newly Enlightened
Try testing it from a distance (perhaps outdoors). You might see the difference then. Or try it during a foggy night, and watch the beam/smoke turn ever so slightly brighter.

Like what Marduke said, the difference between turbo and high is tiny, barely noticeable. Close up, all you're going to see is white. If I turned the light on, you wouldn't know the difference between high and turbo unless you were directly comparing them.

Just pay close attention and you should be able to see a slight difference in brightness. Its not a contact issue because you already said that strobe works... *shrug*

Edit:
Better yet, try the LD10 head with a CR123 on your PD20 body. And then try the PD20 head with the LD10 body.

Egsise

Banned
What battery are you using?

The difference between high and turbo on the LD10 is not that much to the human eye.
Yep, camera helps.
th_LD10turbo2.jpg
th_LD10high.jpg

LD10 turbo 1360lux..............LD10 high 890lux, lightbox readings, not real lux.

But....I can see the difference with my LD10.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well this is a first for me, I have never had any malfunction in any Fenix I've ever owned.
One thing I did notice and don't know if it would cause my problem but one of the metal crescent reverse polarity buttons in the head is almost touching the center button. It is far more closer than the one on the other side, you couldn't fit a hair between them. It is also seating off center, up closer or farther from the threads depending on how your holding it. I've looked back over my other Fenix lights and have not seen this in any of them.

fenixmad

Banned
So far i've had 1 P1D die, TK10 fail to go into high and i'm sure there's an issue with my PD30 (it's slightly less bright than the LD10 with P2D body) and it sometimes has a delay switching on and a small delay going into high mode when it sometimes skips high mode and goes straight into strobe.

3 faults 2 returns. and the new P1D's suck with the 900ma draw and sickly yellow the older P1D's have 1.2 - 1.5amp draw bright as hell and a pure white beam.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not complaining I have 10 different Fenix models and probably 20 or so total and this is the only problem I've ever had. One out of 20 is not that bad I guess.

fenixmad

Banned
P1D, TK10, PD30, LD10 P2D here only ones which works flawlessly are, LD10 and P2D the rest have had issues.

But stick the P2D body on the LD10 see if turbo springs to life.

kts

Enlightened
Your LD10 is probably fine, I cant see the difference between high and turbo unless I use Energizer Lithiums.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the Energizer Lithium and no change but when I put the LD10 head on the P2D body it worked fine. Whats up with that? I understand I'm using a 3v battery but shouldn't the LD10 on its own body have a turbo on AA.

Well I had to edit this last post because after I took the LD head off the P2D body and put it back on the LD10 body it seems to work into turbo now. I don't know how or why but it does.

Last edited:

fenixmad

Banned
It's possible the higher voltage got it going, remember the LD10 and LD20 (which is 2aa's) have the same circuit, the extra voltage probably jump started it (possibly an inductor issue on the circuit, who knows)

Marduke

Flashaholic
I tried the Energizer Lithium and no change but when I put the LD10 head on the P2D body it worked fine. Whats up with that? I understand I'm using a 3v battery but shouldn't the LD10 on its own body have a turbo on AA.

Well I had to edit this last post because after I took the LD head off the P2D body and put it back on the LD10 body it seems to work into turbo now. I don't know how or why but it does.

The Turbo is different on 3v than it is on 1.2v.

120 vs 94 is barely noticeable to the human eye. 180 vs 94, while still not appearing "twice as bright" is noticeably brighter.

fenixmad

Banned

The Turbo is different on 3v than it is on 1.2v.

120 vs 94 is barely noticeable to the human eye. 180 vs 94, while still not appearing "twice as bright" is noticeably brighter.

I wish you'd stop going on about "not noticeable to the human eye" it's very noticeable to me even 4 lumens more i can detect the slight variation in color, i've got a trained eye and if "high" and "turbo" look the same from anything from fenix something is wrong so please stop going on about how they look the same they don't and this person has obviously had enough flashlights to know something's wrong and since he just stated putting the extra voltage through FIXED the issue then there was SOMETHING wrong and it was NOT due to his EYES.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I wish you'd stop going on about "not noticeable to the human eye" it's very noticeable to me even 4 lumens more i can detect the slight variation in color, i've got a trained eye and if "high" and "turbo" look the same from anything from fenix something is wrong so please stop going on about how they look the same they don't and this person has obviously had enough flashlights to know something's wrong and since he just stated putting the extra voltage through FIXED the issue then there was SOMETHING wrong and it was NOT due to his EYES.

If you're going from 4 lumens to 8 lumens, sure. However, human perception of vision reacts logarithmic, meaning you need a light to be roughly TWICE as bright to be "noticeably brighter", and FOUR times as bright to appear twice as bright. A lesser difference may be able to be perceived side by side, but it will NOT appear significantly brighter.

I know you have not been here long and have not had as much experience, but noobs commenting on "not being able to see a difference" between high and turbo on the L1D/LD10 is VERY common. 99.999% of the time it is due entirely to the increase in brightness being relatively small.

The extra voltage "fixed it" because the difference between 94 and 180 is approximately twice, so the difference was again "noticeably brighter".

fenixmad

Banned
again with the assumption i've been here since 2007 ;) and no, most people can see the difference between high and turbo, show me someone who can not (unless there's a fault)

i'm no noob.

Marduke

Flashaholic
again with the assumption i've been here since 2007 ;)

i'm no noob.

Your join date and post count begs to differ.

That is unless you are a (banned) old timer, and just chose to use your current name as an alias for trolling purposes... :sssh:

and no, most people can see the difference between high and turbo, show me someone who can not (unless there's a fault)

I didn't say you could not see it, I said it is not perceptually significant enough. Google "human perception of brightness power law" if you don't believe me.

fenixmad

Banned
Troll, now that's subjective, the only troll would be you "digging" at newbies and people who have not been on this board.

So i suggest you stop the crap and grow up, not everyone was like YOU when they first began.