I am going to remove clips from Surefire E1B and E1L. Any last minute tips?

Niconical

Enlightened
I'm going to remove the clips from an E1B and an E1L and swap them.

There is plenty of info on this on the forum, wrap the clip if gripping with a metal tool, use paracord to pull, push it down on a table, and probably most important of all, don't lose the little plastic thingy.

What I'm looking for now is any last minute 'tips and tricks'.
Something that could be the difference between a successful transplant and me screwing it up totally, which given my limited knowledge is more likely than you'd think :ohgeez:

Also, any tips on putting them back, unless it's nothing more than 'push, hard'.

Any comments, speak now......

Thank you :)

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have removed and re-installed the clips on both my E1B and E1L by following the procedure you mention in your post. It worked fine. :)

One piece of advice which may seem obvious but in this particular case appears to be more justified than usual: thread slowly, don't be in a hurry

This is particularly valid during removal of the clips, don't try to pull them out in one shot but work them out slowly bit by bit. :cool:

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you got the right technique along with all the tips and tricks! Let us know how it goes!

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
...wrap the clip if gripping with a metal tool, use paracord to pull, push it down on a table, and probably most important of all, don't lose the little plastic thingy.
That last point can't be stressed enough. It's like opening a bottle of champagne - it's not a question of if the little bugger is going to come flying off, so just be prepared for it.

Also, any tips on putting them back, unless it's nothing more than 'push, hard'.
Getting it back on is trivial. The plastic shim requires a lot less force to install than remove.

Niconical

Enlightened
Getting it back on is trivial. The plastic shim requires a lot less force to install than remove.

That's good to know, thank you. I was a little concerned that putting it back on would require a lot of force and maybe I wouldn't get the thing in there properly and the clip might eventually come loose with use.

Well, thank you all for the tips, I think I'm ready, fingers crossed...... :naughty:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Take off the O-ring.

Put the paracord under the clip.

Wrap it in a towel so the plastic thingy doesn't go MIA.

PULL

:twothumbs

zven

Enlightened
Yep, I agree with all others here. Paracord, O-ring removal, be prepared for when (not if) the plastic insert flies out. Definitely with an emphasis on not losing the plastic insert (and keeping it in a safe place for any duration of keeping your light clipless).

Only thing I really have to add is that SureFire doesn't automatically send a spare little plastic insert with replacement clips. I must assume they'd replace it if you asked, but if you do need it, ask specifically for it, don't assume you'll get a whole "clip replacement kit".

litetube

Enlightened
Heres a question that may have been answered but I have never seen it.

Which way is the proper fit for the little plastic thingy. does it go

1)with the flared bell part facing forward towards the head?
2)with the flared bell section facing back towards the tail?

and do the 2 little nubbies face up or down agains the body?

I have never seemed to figure this out, I can never seem to get the clip to fit without some slop

zven

Enlightened
Heres a question that may have been answered but I have never seen it.

Which way is the proper fit for the little plastic thingy. does it go

1)with the flared bell part facing forward towards the head?
2)with the flared bell section facing back towards the tail?

and do the 2 little nubbies face up or down agains the body?

I have never seemed to figure this out, I can never seem to get the clip to fit without some slop

The flared bell faces the head, and if the "nubbies" you're referring to are those two bumps on the body of the plastic insert, then I believe they face away from the body of the flashlight, so that they make contact with the clip. At least, that's how it was on my L1 and C2.