MR-16 3D Maglite Mod Finished!

soloco

Enlightened
I was awakened early this morning by my 7 week old newborn boy. I couldn't get back to sleep, so I decided to get ready for work. I still had a good 2 hours before I had to leave the house, so what else, I sat down and worked on some flashlight mods!

I whipped out my soldering iron and decided to give my old MR-16 mod another shot. I managed to solder the leads from a G5.3 socket to some wires I soldered to a stripped down Maglite switch assembly I had early assumed was junk. I made a makeshift 123 holder out of two 1/4" dowels, 1/2" machine screw, two 1 1/4" zinc washers, two 1 1/4" neoprene washers, and a nut to match the machine screw. So now I got the cool Sylvania ESX Q20MR16/NSP which fits perfectly in the D Maglite head powered by 2 parallel rows of 5 123s. It's very solid and very bright. I'm at work now so I'll have to post pictures later. I love this thing! I'm showing everyone here! They must think I am insane.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow,

That is so cool. I can't wait to see the pics and beamshotz. That Sylvania bulb, it's a 12V 20W lamp? Is it a spot or flood unit? How does the light compare to a high output Carley bulb?

Could I ask where you got the G5.3 socket? I think TopBulb carries something like that.

I'm inspired!

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
PS. Congratulations on being a new daddy! I'm the dad of a somewhat less brand new 4month old girl.

Wilkey

soloco

Enlightened
The NSP is the tightest spot I could find: 8 degrees. It's pretty usable with this kind of beam. I figure a runtime of about 100 minutes. That's just a guess. I'll have to take some current/voltage measurements tonight. It is a 20W MR-16. Now that I finished this mod I can pop in a 10W or even a 35W if I feel daring. I got the socket from UnitedHalogenBulb.com. The MR-16 is from Lowe's, but I found a great MR-16 that I have to try. 4200K light?! cooool. It's too bad the spread is 38 degrees though.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hmmm, wonder how the 5W Luxeon would fare in that kind of reflector.

Soloco, we have GOT to get together!