Milky mods- the Sleeper and the Sweeper

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
Just got my SureFires back from Scott yesterday. Feel like a kid at Christmas time.

The Sleeper looks fairly ordinary, but under the hood is a Cree XRE pumping out over 300 lumens through the TIR, running on two 123 primaries. Has a nice tight well-focused beam that throws amazingly far for a small pocket edc light. It is focusable by loosening or tightening the two halves of the head, but I think it is at its best tightened all the way down. Backed off slightly it seems to get a slightly better hot spot, but looses a bit of output and gets a bit ringy.

The Room Sweeper with its 650+ lumen SSC P7 needs no formal introduction here, but mine is a bit different. Instead of running it on a 17670 cell in a 2-cell E2 body, I have mine on a single cell E1 body running on a 16340 cell. Same ouput in a smaller package, albeit at the expense of some runtime, but for its indended use that is no concern. When the head was being machined, some of the original op coating for the reflector chipped off. Scott informed me of this, and told me that it now has a matte silver finish to it which should be just fine, but might affect the throw a bit. I was not concerned with this as this light is not a thrower, and I had an idea of my own anyway. I removed the matte silver finish and the anodizing underneath with my Dremel and a fine grit emery wheel, and then polished it up with a cloth fiber wheel and polishing compound. It now has a nice mirror finish to it. Nice superb intesely bright flood to this one.

Here are some pics.

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

Thanks to Scott for the superb builds. He is a great guy to talk to, very helpful and informative. I definitely will be going to him for more mods/builds in the future.

Also thanks to Hogo for the conception of the Roomsweeper.

mmajunkie

Newly Enlightened
Nice looking mods!

Do I dare ask how much each mod cost?

And any links to the website?

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
Nice looking mods!

Do I dare ask how much each mod cost?

And any links to the website?

They did not cost much. I sent out the complete lights, with heads.

The Room Sweeper build was $155, the Sleeper build was $75. I did not have a charger or any rechargeable cells, so Scott sent me a nice Pila Charger, two 16340 cells, and two dummy cells. With priority insured return shipping, the total came to $300. Not bad at all, superb work, incredible output from both considering the size of the lights.

E-mail is the best way to initially contact Scott. Here is his contact info-

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2859934&postcount=27

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?u=899

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Single cell room sweeper =) Well ive got a new fivemega 16340 E series body and SF E series head that ive been trying to think of a use for think I found it. Now just for a little extra cash.

Both lights look great by the way! Does the E2 have some decent spill or just straight flood?

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
Single cell room sweeper =) Well ive got a new fivemega 16340 E series body and SF E series head that ive been trying to think of a use for think I found it. Now just for a little extra cash.

Both lights look great by the way! Does the E2 have some decent spill or just straight flood?

You mean spot, not flood, right? It has mostly a wide spotlight beam with a useful amount of spill, but not a whole lot. It is exactly the same as an L1 Lumamax beam, which is what the head is from. If you can imagine and L1 on steroids, that is what it is.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Hmmm I may have ot start searching for some parts so I can get something similar to your "sleeper" Ive yet to get my first Milky mod but I really havent decided exactly what I want yet but both of these seem pretty well thought out.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind me asking, how the "sweeper" outputting 300+ lumens if it only has an XR-E? It must be driven at insanely high current if it truly is 300+ lumens.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind me asking, how the "sweeper" outputting 300+ lumens if it only has an XR-E? It must be driven at insanely high current if it truly is 300+ lumens.

I believe you've got the lights reversed. The 'Room Sweeper' is rated at 650+ lumens and uses a Seoul P7 emitter. The 'Sleeper' is CreeXRE... I really don't think it's generating 300 lumens and if I labeled it as such, that was a mistake on my part... I would rate that head at 262 lumens, which is being a little conservative on my part... on fresh cells it might actually approach 300 lumens, though it won't quite get there.

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
:hitit: But :wtf: dude...no beam shots?

I will have to get to those later. First, the moon is really bright tonight, made even brighter by a lightly overcast sky, does not look like it is night out yet here. Second, I'm not sure how to take beamshots at night to get the best results. I just have a Canon SD790, a great compact camera, but I usually leave it in auto mode. I may need help to get good beamshot pics. Are there any threads that tell how to do this. I did a search with no luck.

You mean the Sleeper, right? I am just going by what Scott told me and what we discussed for the build. I compared it to my Nitecore Extreme R2, which supposedly puts out 220 lumens, and my Olight M-20 R2 which supposedly puts out 250 lumens. The Sleeper is noticeably a bit brighter than both of them on a fresh set of cells, so I would assume that close to 300 lumens is not an exageration. It does seem to dim down a bit after a short time, and stay at that brightness. Still a little brighter than the other two lights.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I did mean "sleeper," not "sweeper." I guess my mind thought "sleeper", but my hands decided to that they wanted to type "sweeper" instead.

262 sounds more reasonable. Onuris, your other lights are advertised as 220 and 250 lumens, but they probably don't actually output that much. Also, did you compare the brightness with a ceiling bounce test, or just by looking at the spot on the wall? The only real way to do relative comparisons (of lumens) visually is by doing a ceiling bounce test.

Of course, the amount of lumens a light puts out is kind of irrelevant. It all depends on beam pattern.
Beamshots on both lights should be interesting though...:popcorn:

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
I believe you've got the lights reversed. The 'Room Sweeper' is rated at 650+ lumens and uses a Seoul P7 emitter. The 'Sleeper' is CreeXRE... I really don't think it's generating 300 lumens and if I labeled it as such, that was a mistake on my part... I would rate that head at 262 lumens, which is being a little conservative on my part... on fresh cells it might actually approach 300 lumens, though it won't quite get there.

Scott- you did not put any lumen output on the label. I was just assuming the output based on my interpretation of our conversations. So the mistake is all mine. Your estimates are probably more accurate. But it is one heck of a bright light for the size, with a nice beam to it, so I am completely happy with whatever the output is, actual numbers don't matter as much.

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
262 sounds more reasonable. Onuris, your other lights are advertised as 220 and 250 lumens, but they probably don't actually output that much. Also, did you compare the brightness with a ceiling bounce test, or just by looking at the spot on the wall? The only real way to do relative comparisons (of lumens) visually is by doing a ceiling bounce test.

I was comparing the beams in my basement on a white wall at about 40 feet. I did not think of trying the ceiling bounce test, as my house is a timber frame with all hardwood ceilings and beams. I just went into my home theater room to do the ceiling bounce test as it is the only white ceiling surface in my house, albeit acoustic tiles w/ 11 ft hight. After comparing several lights this way, I see what you mean. Still, the Sleeper lights up the room quite a bit more than any other light that I have that is rated anywhere near this amount. It almost seems comparable to my SureFire M4 with 350 lumen lamp, but just slightly less, although the warmer color of the M4 may make it seem a bit dimmer than what it is as compared to the LED of the Sleeper.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was comparing the beams in my basement on a white wall at about 40 feet. I did not think of trying the ceiling bounce test, as my house is a timber frame with all hardwood ceilings and beams. I just went into my home theater room to do the ceiling bounce test as it is the only white ceiling surface in my house, albeit acoustic tiles w/ 11 ft hight. After comparing several lights this way, I see what you mean. Still, the Sleeper lights up the room quite a bit more than any other light that I have that is rated anywhere near this amount. It almost seems comparable to my SureFire M4 with 350 lumen lamp, but just slightly less, although the warmer color of the M4 may make it seem a bit dimmer than what it is as compared to the LED of the Sleeper.

That comparison (the Sleeper vs. M4 incan) makes some sense. A light at 350 lumens will look a little brighter than one just under 300 lumens, but not by much... the two will look very close to one another in terms of how well they light a room via ceiling bounce.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
That comparison (the Sleeper vs. M4 incan) makes some sense. A light at 350 lumens will look a little brighter than one just under 300 lumens, but not by much... the two will look very close to one another in terms of how well they light a room via ceiling bounce.

Hi Milky,
Do you only do mods, or do you also design and make whole flashlights?

If you do make flashlights, do you have and new models for sale?

Do you sell only from the forum, or do you have your own website?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Milky,
Do you only do mods, or do you also design and make whole flashlights?

If you do make flashlights, do you have and new models for sale?

Do you sell only from the forum, or do you have your own website?

PsychoBunny, just noticed this post. I do design and make whole flashlights, sometimes of my own design, other times in collaboration with fellow CPFers, machinists, etc. It really depends on the project.

Working on a new family of lights right now. More info coming after the project gets a little more developed. :naughty:

At the moment I'm mostly on CPF, don't have my own website for lights. Maybe someday! For now, contact me here or email...

img-email-milky-quarryrun-com.gif