PVC Pipe Cement Question...

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Hey folks,

What's the best PVC pipe joiner/cement to use... I normally use Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue for Standard 40 PVC 1" pipes for the sprinkler main, but I've been experiencing some failures at the joints - possibly from the high water pressure around my area. Anyone try Oatey's Heavy Duty PVC Cement? Are the two comparable? Is there any other option? Just what exactly IS the best cement for PVC Standard 40 water pipes?

Thanks-

-Jim

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, you're really making a potato gun or bong aren't you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If you go to the plumbing store and ask for "PVC pipe dope" they should be able to point you in the right direction.
As for which brand you should get, I'm lost here... maybe another CPFer would know.

zmoz

Enlightened
I use Oatey cement all the time...on....ummm...potato guns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Never had a problem with it...I have made hundreds. (see my website http://www.spudlauncher.com/) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened
Always, but always, clean the parts both male and female with the PVC cleaner. Use the cement specified for the particular type of pipe and fittings you are assembling.

zmoz:

Arn't potato guns a wonderful invention?

We call them potatolaunchers here because when the cops show up and want to know "what's going on," You don't want to say anything about a "gun".

I had to explain a potato launcher to three LEO's a couple of weeks ago. "It's not a firearm." As they are looking down the barrel and at the igniter with that "what the heck is this" look on their faces.

They tried to tell my two grandchildren it was a felony to shoot one, even before they knew what it was. I don't understand why some cops lie to kids.

Anyway, lots of fun.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Hey, thanks for the replies fellas... I think I'll give the Oatey primer/cleaner (purple label) a shot first, then a coating of Oatey's Max. I don't think there's anything else out there to beat this combo... at least, I don't think so - and I do have some outrageous water pressures out here, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

I do have a potato gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and for the overall "bang for the buck" quality, it's the best thing to have around during a day at the river... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks again for the responses...

-Jim

zmoz

Enlightened
They are not only fun but profitable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif My neighbors just love all my "tests"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif