1 cell extensions, SF A19 vs. SolarforceL2

jcs71

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at ordering a 1 cell extension for my SF 6PD. I know the A19 will fit and supposedly the Solarforce L2 will as well. The Solarforce L2 is about 7 bucks from Lighthound and the SF A19 is 22 bucks. If I went for price it would be a no brainer, but I want the best quality. Would that automatically mean the Surefire. What are your opinions please?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way the Surefire extentions screw on is very smooth. I have purchased at least 8 Solarforce extentions and they are all kinda grindy. For me the quality of Surefire is very noticeable when taking the light apart, but looks wise there are less differences.

I would just purchased the Solarforce extention again:D Price matters right now.:poof:

buickid

Enlightened
I also have both, and the SF ones are smooth as butter. The LF ones are a bit gritty, but if you don't plan on taking them off too often, it shouldn't be a problem. I find that a drop or two of Tri-Flow on the metal threads (not the o-ring!) makes it a lot easier to thread on and off. For the money... Solarforce, for absolute quality, go with Surefire.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A19 threads are much better, and the knurling looks much better also.
Solarforce extensions look cheap.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the subject of one cell extenders...
Do you know of any that are bored for 18650 diameter cells.

jake25

Enlightened
If you purchase the "2009" (No Official name so I give it that) Solarforce L2m, they come with a 1 cell extender, included in the price, those extenders are 18mm bored.

mdocod

Flashaholic
The solarforce, while possibly not the nicest in the knurling or finish or thread accuracy department, does usually accomplish the same goal just fine... most of the time....

My solarforce extensions did come with a bit more overlap than is ideal. Works fine on some bodies, not so great on others. It will sometimes butt up against the anodized raised knurled section of a body before making internal electrical contact. I cut one of mine down a bit to eliminate this problem but not everyone would have the tooling to cut one of these off fairly cleanly. I've also successfully drilled one out with a 3/4" (19.05mm) bit to clear 18mm li-ion cells.

Short and Round

Newly Enlightened
Get the A19. I have one and it screws on nice and smooth. If you own a Surefire, why would you want, IMHO, something of less quality? Go with the A19 and you will have no regrets. Go with the other and there may be a I wish I would have. . . :crackup:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
my understanding has been that the solarofrce extension is bored, this will allow you to run 2x18500 cells in a solar-L2.

jake25

Enlightened
The L2-E18, 18650 extension was always bored for 18650s. The older L2-ECR was bored only for 16340s. There are new L2ms that come packaged with a L2-ECR, these are bored to 18mm, so is the L2m body.