AND
if the hubs are special
for the thruput?
or can the usb1 hub and cable transfer the data at the design of usb2
Anyone?
Tom

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure you need hubs which are made for USB2. Cables, I'm not so sure - I see a lot being sold as 'USB2 certified', but don't know that there is really much difference between these and plain old USB cables.

Graham

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
USB 1.1 cables should work fine, you will need to get a USB 2.0 hub to benefit from the extra speed USB 2.0 offers (a standard USB 1.1 hub will work but will slow the system down to 12Mbps)

USB 1.1 Max Speed = 12Mbps
USB 2.0 Max Speed = 480Mbps

Floating Spots

Enlightened
I have used short USB1.1 cables before.
The longer ones don't work so well.
There is a huge frequency change between the two speeds.
Its like going from a ten based network to hundred based, except five times worse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In order to be safe, everything has to operate at usb 2.0 for the speed increase. Motherboard or card>Cable>Hub>Cable>Device

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always used my old USB 1.1 cables for my laptop and my new Mobo, which is 2.0 compliant... No difference at all...

Floating Spots

Enlightened
I get delayed write errors and storage not ready errors when using my old 16' usb 1.1 cables. USB 2 was announced well before its actual market introduction. A lot of usb "1.1" cables really are USB 2.0. Some of mine even say ver 2.0 on the wire. However, I have lots of problem with older, longer cables..