What temperature to set protection too,

frozenwarp

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
First off thanks to those who have already given me helpful advice for my build to date.

NOW
I am running 3 X R2's at 1 amp and as so get hot quick
They will be heatsinked both to there own base heat sink and then this will be heatsinked too the ally light housing

Now its a Divelight so heat when underwater should not be an issue but for i run my light on land and for testing my question is:

What should i set the thermal protection of my Bflex too?

Cheers all,
Bradley

frozenwarp

Newly Enlightened
thermal protection only goes up to 90 deg so im thinking no too 120 but thanks for the reply

DM51

Flashaholic
90 deg F is less than body temperature - it's only warm. You should set it at a temperature below where it is going to do damage, and the Sgt. has it about right IMO, or maybe just a bit higher. A good yardstick is whether the light is comfortable to hold in your hand. If it's too hot to hold, it's running too hot anyway, and needs to cool down.

Why does the setting you have only go up to 90 deg F? Or do you mean 90 deg C?

frozenwarp

Newly Enlightened
90 deg F is less than body temperature - it's only warm. You should set it at a temperature below where it is going to do damage, and the Sgt. has it about right IMO, or maybe just a bit higher. A good yardstick is whether the light is comfortable to hold in your hand. If it's too hot to hold, it's running too hot anyway, and needs to cool down.

Why does the setting you have only go up to 90 deg F? Or do you mean 90 deg C?

Sorry yea im in Aust so yea 90deg C

Ive set it too 60deg C

Anyone have any experience on how close i have to have the driver to the LEDS for the thermal protection work?

Cheers,
Bradley

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
i set my temperature to 70c on my maxflex running 5x Cree Q2 LED but since my maxflex driver is connected to the body it never get hot . It depends on where you heatsink your driver. if its connected to LED-Heatsink then it will get all the heat from the LED instead and it would read the LEDs heatsink temprature since the driver produce less heat than the LED. I am not sure what the temprature is used for originally, to protect the leds or the driver itself.

Well you could ask George @ taskled for help :) i am sure he is more than happy to answer.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
OP:
Put it directly on the opposite side of the heatsink from the LED's if you can. If you edit your profile to state where you are from then it's easier to avoid little misunderstandings like that.

DM51, thanks for the back-up on my estimate! I thought I was close but I didn't want to state that I was 100% sure. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my Chimera Mini's will be set to 60c. Its on the very edge
of heat tolerance that you can stand. But less than what a
lithium polymer battery is rated to.

Latest posts