Water powered car It's Here!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh...I think it's an electrically powered, water propelled car; and if you think of how the electricity to power the car was made (by burning oil or coal), then it is a fossil fuel powered, water propelled car.

But still impressive...

Empath

Flashaholic
It's not water powered any more than an ICE is piston powered. The water plays a mechanical part and nothing more. It still requires fuel, the same as a Stanley Steamer did over a hundred years ago.

Illum

Flashaholic
the only practicality I can reference to would probably be Green drag racing...no polystyrene fumes and no choking nitrate smokes...but alot less speed.
900 psi sounds a bit...deadly if breached prematurely

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only practicality I can reference to would probably be Green drag racing...no polystyrene fumes and no choking nitrate smokes...but alot less speed.
900 psi sounds a bit...deadly if breached prematurely

It's no more dangerous than carrying several gallons of very volatile, highly flammable liquid with you wherever you go.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's no more dangerous than carrying several gallons of very volatile, highly flammable liquid with you wherever you go.
This is the same reason why I consider all the panic about electric vehicles having LiIon batteries in them a bit ridiculous...

"But those batteries might combust in event of an accident! <returns to car containing 16 gallons of previously mentioned extemely flammable liquid, capable of "venting with flame" much more violently than any LiIon without a second thought>

If anything, one could almost classify this as an electric vehicle that uses steam, rather than batteries, as its energy storage mechanism, as it uses an electric heater to generate the steam. Except in this case, steam will have a lot poorer self-discharge characteristics than LiIon...

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the same reason why I consider all the panic about electric vehicles having LiIon batteries in them a bit ridiculous...

"But those batteries might combust in event of an accident! <returns to car containing 16 gallons of previously mentioned extemely flammable liquid, capable of "venting with flame" much more violently than any LiIon without a second thought>

I'll wait untill I've seen teh results of a few car fires with LiON batteries before deciding.

I've had the gas tank go off in at least half the car fires I've been on and you have to know what to listen for. The fire tends to be really loud and teh tank going off is a slightly higher and higher pitched whoosh.
Car fires from an accident can cause more problem but (as myth busters found out) they are really rare. Something like 0.25% of all accidents involve fire or submersion.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
I liked running Hydrogen in my truck but I never could get my truck to produce enough to run it solo on that or make a huge increase in fuel economy. But, hey, it does work.