LEDs for my kitchen

Lumego

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

i have been reading in this forum for quite some time and am also active in several other forums. I currently plan to install a new kitchen an i would like to light it up with 5mm LEDs similar to this installation:
http://www.lumitronixforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=314

Since i tested quite some LEDs i decided to use Nichia LEDs only, does anyone have a good place where to buy these LEDs? They need to be shipped to Chile, so i cant buy at many regular places. I need problably about 100 LEDs only.

Additionally i am looking for some Cree LEDs, but i just need approx. 5 pcs and cant find anyone willing to ship them here.

Shipping cost aint a really big problem.

ledstein

Newly Enlightened
Cool project but the website is in german. I think do to the same in my kitchen. Can you give some more details about your plans?

Very good you choose nichia leds and not china, as you can see here: 5mm LED fade test, Nichia vs China

Last edited:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For usage in a kitchen I would take warm-white tinted LEDs. The warmer tint has a much better color rendition than the normal white tinted LEDs. You could also put a few red LEDs between the withe ones if you want to use the normal whit 5mm-LEDs. There are warm-white tinted LEDs but I think they are pretty rare especially in Chile.

rayman

clg0159

Enlightened
Dealextreme.com sells warm white Crees and worldwide shipping is free. You will have to be patient though as it can take weeks to recieve your order.

EricB

Enlightened
I just discovered this company http://www.jescoled.com/documents/LCAT_FLXLINE2.pdf which has their products on display in several lighting stores in Manhatta. I especially like the flexible rgb strip on p.14. It actually is itself pretty cheap, at 35-60 dollars per footlong strip (about 18 LEDs), however, it is the power supply and controller that would push the whole thing into the hundreds.
It would be great for under cabinets, or even inside cabinets.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
which has their products on display in several lighting stores in Manhatta

When I looked at the link I wondered if they did set decoration for episodes of Miami Vice. :duh2:

I currently plan to install a new kitchen an i would like to light it up with 5mm LEDs similar to this installation

That has to be one of the most over-complicated applications of a mediocre product ( 5mm LEDs) I've ever seen. If I did that in my kitchen my home value would drop more than it already has.

Rather than use far, FAR fewer 3watt LEDs with vastly superior color rendition the guy chose hordes of 5mm LEDs and cutting channels in particle board. You'd also think that Europeans being into energy conservation would be using current regulated power supplies rather than resistors.

Sorry to be so negative guys...but....damn.:shrug:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Look at the date stamp on those pics. Not a whole lot of choice$ in the high output department back then.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fine....it was just as goofy looking in 2006 as well. :)

OP is having shipping issues with some LED companies, but it doesn't change the fact that doing this with 5mm LEDs makes no sense. Might as well get some rope lights and staple them to the underside of your cabinets - same effect.

Lumego

Newly Enlightened
Thx for the answeres :)

Currently i strongly consider to only use High Power LEDs. The installation seems a lot more easy and i guess the light distribution will be much more comfortable! I guess some Cree LEDs warm white will be really nice from what i saw in other topics and forums.

seaside

Enlightened
The project looks fun, but all those constrols and troidal transformer for kitchen LED is bit too much excessive for my point of view. And I am sure most of us do not have time to wire LEDs like that. I don't mind if you want to do though.

I think a couple of DX sku. 5256 or 3513 would make your job much easier.