TiFli

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be writing a formal review soon of Chips new TiFli (titanium updated version of the old FireFli):
IMG_0011.jpg

But we have a new baby in the house and things are chaos right now!

Chip: I got the lights yesterday--one with an exposed LED and one with a bezel--and they are GORGEOUS! Thank you so much! The machining is magnificent, the lights are built like little tanks, and the beams are superb! It is SO much brighter than my FireFli it is amazing.

I promise--pics and a review to follow soon, but I just had to say that these are a dream come true and a must for flashaholics to wear around the neck.

If I have any criticism, it is only that you have to tighten to turn on which means two things:

1. I worry a teeny bit (though my worrying is probably unnecessary given the overall design) that untightened on my neck, the light will separate.

2. The tiny gap when unscrewed slightly might attract debris and perhaps decreases the water resistance (though I'm pretty sure Chip said that it is still plenty water resistant while off!)

But the dead-on simplicity of this mechanism outweighs these negatives and several CPF members have found that the original FireFli (which is loosen for on) have failed...

Thanks so much Chip!

More to follow!
:hitit::party:

Skeptic

Newly Enlightened
Looking forward to your review. The lights look intriguing. Looks like it is time to start saving some money for new toys that light up. :)

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Also looking forward to your review. Although that hasn't stopped me from emailing chip about a few of these already. Still waiting to hear back from him.

I cannot possibly see how I will be able to resist getting at least one each of the two different versions.

Thank you applevision for your persistency in getting a light like this available for a few of us nutcases (with all due respect of course and present company included). :laughing:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
REVIEW W/ PICS OF TiFli!

Hey guys, as promised here are my thoughts on the awesome new TiFli light designed and built by Chip!

You can find more info here if you are interested in picking one up:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/216490&page=9

and now there is a true sales thread here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2949290

First, let me compare with some of the contenders, from L to Right:
Fenix Ld01, Lummi Wee (warm, 100lm), Streamlight Nano, a no-name DX light, Chip's Custom TiFli with Shouded Bezel, Chip's custom TiFli with no bezel, and finally the light that started it all--the FireFli!
6.jpg

Below this caption we find the same order looking down the barrels...
1.jpg

With this photo we get down to Business! So from L to R we have: Chip's Custom TiFli with Shouded Bezel (polished), Chip's custom TiFli with no bezel (in "distressed" Ti, which I adore!), and finally the light that started it all--the FireFli
3-1.jpg

Here we see the Lummi Wee then the TiFli and then the FireFli. Three beautiful little lights, indeed!
5.jpg

Where the TiFli fits in the cannon of Tiny Lights:
Code:
 [FONT=courier new]           LENGTH:     DIAMETER:    VOLUME:    [/FONT][FONT=courier new]  PRICE:[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]Firefli      38mm         7mm       1462mm^3     $  N/A[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new][B]TiFli        40mm       8.9mm       2488mm^3     $ 75.00[/B]
[/FONT][FONT=courier new]KD           42mm        10mm       3299mm^3[/FONT]     [FONT=courier new]$  1.50[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]LaPetit   23.25mm     14.25mm       3681mm^3[/FONT][FONT=courier new]     $ 95.00 [/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]Drake        33mm        13mm       4380mm^3     [/FONT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new]$145.00[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=courier new]Nano         37mm        13mm       4910mm^3[/FONT]     [FONT=courier new]$  8.00[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new]Wee          34mm        15mm       6007mm^3     [/FONT][FONT=courier new]$ 51.00[/FONT][FONT=courier new]
[/FONT][FONT=courier new]Draco        47mm        13mm       6238mm^3     [/FONT][B][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#ff0000]$155.00[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=courier new]Fauxton      41mm x 23mm  7mm       6601mm^3*    $  [B]FREE[/B]*[/FONT][FONT=courier new]
[/FONT]

1. Fit and Finish
The lights are gorgeous. They both feel like they were made by a "master", similar fit and finish to the Lummis and the La Petite Killer (not pictured here). Everything is just beautiful and it feels like a little tank compared to the FireFli--yet is still very light. In all, I feel like a FireFli looks like a human, the TiFli is like Iron Man and the Wee is like someone in a small tank...all have their purpose and risks and benefits, but it's pretty Freaking Sweet to be Iron Man!

Size-wise they are a hair bigger than the Firefly but I think it's clear that this is still a TINY light and is very comfortable on the chain. (For me, the Wee is just a bit too big for this--it hurts when I roll onto it at night, though it's one of my faves of all time.)

2. Function
For a "no-name" LED, this thing performs! It is *white* -- WAAAAY whiter than the FireFli, and it is pretty darn bright, though mostly flood compared to this strange little hotspot of the FireFli. Overall lightput feels about 10-20% more than the FireFli as well, which is awesome.

The user interface is dead-on simple: tighten to on, loosen to off. As I stated in the first post, my only concerns with this are:
1. That untightened on my neck, the light will separate.

2. The tiny gap when unscrewed slightly might attract debris and perhaps decreases the water resistance (Note: There is an O-ring just deep to the opening visible in the photos and it seems like it will remain water-resistant at least while in the "off" position--testing to follow tomorrow AM in shower!)

The dead-on simplicity and reliability of this mechanism, however, seem to justify these choices.

3. Light
Okay, finally got some beamshots!
IMG_2474.jpg

Okay, from L --> R: A penny, La Petite Killer, Streamlight Nano, Lummi Wee, Olde School FireFli, TiFli exposed "no-name" LED with "distressed look, TiFli Recessed with "chromed" look, DX light.

All were taken with a Canon Rebel, Full manual mode: F 5.6, Shutter: 1/15, ISO 400, WB set at Tungsten (3200K), Tripod used, lights were about 1 foot from the wall.

IMG_2492.jpg

La Petite Killer

IMG_2493.jpg

The harsher blue but much brighter Streamlight Nano

IMG_2494.jpg

The brilliant and warm 100lumen (warm) Lummi Wee

IMG_2495.jpg

The pale and cold light of the original FireFli

IMG_2496.jpg

The fairly warm white smooth beam of the exposed TiFli!

IMG_2497.jpg

The silky smooth, even white beam of the recessed TiFli! This my favorite beam by FAR of the tiny lights!

IMG_2498.jpg

The crummy, artifact-laden beam (though bright!) of the DX light.

IMG_2502.jpg

To put it in perspective, the Fenix TK11 lighting the wall on fire!

IMG_2503.jpg

Finally, a hidden gem! Chip put glow powder behind the bulbs! Here are the two little buddies glowing!

Okay, and the smaller images are here for comparison:
Lights-1.jpg

To summarize the beams, I have to say that the light is a nice, creamy white and that the beam is ridiculously smooth! I mean, compared to the original FireFli, these are 2 orders of magnitude better!

Compared to a La Petite Killer, I prefer the Recessed TiFli! Though the LPK is a bit brighter, the TiFli has such a smooth, ring-free beam!

Conclusion:
It's the Iron Man of lights--only as big as it needs to be, yet armored and powerful enough to do a superhero's work--this light is a winner! If it could be mass-produced and the price brought down a bit further (okay, okay--I'm basically getting at a re-lauch of the original FireFli, just in titanium and made by Chip!), I think that this light would be a HUGE hit! As it is, I think that it is a very fair price for such a work of It is my true EDC and now lives comfortably on my chain. Though I love all my tiny lights, this one (like the FireFli) crosses that point of magic--it's tiny enough, bright enough and has a good enough runtime (I imagine... more to come) that it is a WINNER!

My dreams have come true! I finally have a phial of Galadriel! Thanks Chip!!!

:hitit:

Last edited:

littlerm

Newly Enlightened
Hey tremendous, i need two quick :twothumbsone with the wicked chip anodizing.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Thanks for the pictures!

So, do you prefer the shrouded or unshrouded LED? Any difference in the beam pattern between the two of them?

Mikellen

Enlightened
Applevision, so what was the decision on battery type? Are multiple battery types acceptable? Does the shrouded version have an extra battery and if so is it brighter than the unshrouded version?
Also is Chip going to start a sales thread in the MarketPlace?

Thanks.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apple,

Hey! Didn't you get a Drake? How does that compare in real life to all your contenders?

Thanks,
MK

Hey MKLight! Great memory! Yes, the Drake was ordered 10 days ago-- but I still haven't heard back from Modamag yet! Hmmm! I emailed him last night. Perhaps it's already being put together and he'll just let me know when it ships... I will keep you posted! :thinking:

But, in general, I think the Drake will be comparable to the Wee... and for that, all of our previous discussions apply:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/216490
and
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229843

Basically, the Wee (and almost assuredly the Drake as well, but I will confirm once I receive and play with it) is a teensy bit too big to have comfortable neckwear for me and so just places out of this size category. The FireFli and the TiFli and the fauxtons/Photons are really the only ones that make it into this category comfortably; even Fred's amazing La Petite Killer has a diameter that is large enough to hurt if you lay on it and buldges through a shirt a bit... that being said, the sheer power of the Wee and the Drake *cream* the little TiFli and are not even in the same category...

However, soon I will show a comparison between the La Petite Killer, the original FireFli, the TiFlis, a streamlight Nano and a Fauxton--and I think folks will be impressed that the TiFlis do a splended job of putting out smooth, creamy white light and being incredibly small!

Thanks for the pictures!

So, do you prefer the shrouded or unshrouded LED? Any difference in the beam pattern between the two of them?
Incidentalist, great questions--sorry I've not been very thorough. Our house is a bit ****oo right now...

In playing with them, I have to say that I prefer the shrouded. The beam becomes silky smooth (beamshots to follow soon!) and has none of the rings of the non-shrouded (which are not bad to begin with, but are noticeable.) I also love that the shroud gives some protection to the LED which is really nice. It s a bit bigger but it's barely perceptible overall. The only thing is that I LOVE the "distressed" finish on the unshrouded one... so my next light (when I save up some cash...) will probably be shrouded + distressed finish! Hee hee...

Applevision, so what was the decision on battery type? Are multiple battery types acceptable? Does the shrouded version have an extra battery and if so is it brighter than the unshrouded version?
Also is Chip going to start a sales thread in the MarketPlace?
Thanks.
Mikellen, batts are Zinc air I think! They are actually unlabeled, but I'm pretty sure that's right. The shrouded is exactly the same length as the unshrouded but with the shroud going a fraction of a millimeter past the LED, so no add'l bats in there.

And yes, Chip was supposed to start up a thread... not sure what happened. I will email him as well.

Bigger pic here:
3-1.jpg

Thanks guys!!

:grin2:

Last edited:

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
Thanks for all the praise and the excellent review Applevision:twothumbs. I'm glad you're enjoying them as much as I did making them. I'm confident that the o-ring will provide enough sealing/friction to avoid the issues you mentioned.

Things have been kind of crazy the last few days here as well which is why I haven't gotten a sales thread for these started yet here in the BST. I have gotten another 6 TiFli's done for those who have paid for them which will ship tomorrow, and I'll be contacting the rest of the people who have emailed me shortly.

I apologize for the delay, between the unexpected level of response and job interviews I have fallen a bit behind. The good news is I have a job offer now, it's local and I get to work on wind turbines:naughty:. It's also a Monday-Friday gig 7-3:30 so I'll have time in the evenings for projects such as these. It's been a crazy 3 months unemployed, but thanks to my wife's website and CPF we've managed to stay afloat, I really can't thank you guys enough for all your support.

Thanks again,

~Chip

p.s. The batteries are #10 zinc-air

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please let me know if I'm one of those 6... ;)
Good luck with your job. :thumbsup:

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Incidentalist, great questions--sorry I've not been very thorough. Our house is a bit ****oo right now...

In playing with them, I have to say that I prefer the shrouded. The beam becomes silky smooth (beamshots to follow soon!) and has none of the rings of the non-shrouded (which are not bad to begin with, but are noticeable.) I also love that the shroud gives some protection to the LED which is really nice. It s a bit bigger but it's barely perceptible overall. The only thing is that I LOVE the "distressed" finish on the unshrouded one... so my next light (when I save up some cash...) will probably be shrouded + distressed finish! Hee hee...

Thanks! I'm most likely going to end up getting one of each, but was curious how the beams varied.

I agree, I like the distressed Ti look. I may have to get mine in this finish when my turn comes up.

Congratulations on the new addition! We'll be having our second in a little over two weeks. It definitely gets crazy for a while, so I appreciate all of your input in this hectic (and exciting) time in your life.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great light. Really looking forward to beam shots and such. Only concern are these batteries and their respective availability. Where can I purchase such batteries and what do they even look like? Thanks!

Skeptic

Newly Enlightened
It uses hearing aid batteries from what I understand. Available at Costco, Sam's Club, any drug store and even many grocery stores.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It uses hearing aid batteries from what I understand. Available at Costco, Sam's Club, any drug store and even many grocery stores.

Thanks! Now that is in terms I understand! How many does it take at a time?

What is the cost of each different option/type of the TiFli lights?

Mikellen

Enlightened
Do you know the approximate runtime and is there an alternative battery type that can be used?

Thanks.

Skeptic

Newly Enlightened
Waiting on a runtime from AppleVision :) But baby duty does take precedent, since baby's cry and lights don't care. :)

I don't think there are alternative batteries since this was designed to run like the original Firefly that used Zinc Air hearing aid batteries. I don't know the battery size or designation, guess we need to have Apple Vision give us that information too. Or perhaps Chip will join in and tell us. I know I want one or more lights already. :poke:

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Looks like I'm lucky enough to be in the next run, sent my payment today for 1 each of the recessend and exposed LEDs.

Applevision, do you know if your light with the 'distressed' finish is the satin or the bead blasted finish? From the pics, it doesn't look bead blasted to me, so I'm guessing satin?

Anyway, looking forward to these two beauties arriving sometime in the not too distant future (I hope).