L0D & LD01 - can either be used on Microstream body?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read about people using the Microstream body on the L0D head. Cool!

I'm not a fan of SOS or Strobe functions, so I would lean toward the LD01 to use with the Microstream body... if it works as well as the L0D does.... and the ever-so-slightly higher high and slightly-lower low is a marginal, if barely even noticible, benefit as well.

L0D 30 lum > 11 lum > 75 lum > SOS > Strobe

LD01 27 lum > 10 lum > 80 lum

SO.... does the LD01 head work on a Microstream body?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, richard for that info!

Aside from the SOS/Strobe options do you see any benefit to choosing one over the other? I see 4Sevens is still selling both the L0D and the LD01 (with a higher price on the L0D)... any reason to choose one over the other?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
thanks, richard for that info!

Aside from the SOS/Strobe options do you see any benefit to choosing one over the other? I see 4Sevens is still selling both the L0D and the LD01 (with a higher price on the L0D)... any reason to choose one over the other?
The PWM flickering for the low mode on the L0D bothers some folks, especially for things requiring fast eye movement such as reading. I'd go for the LD01 on this factor alone, it has a much higher frequency that has still gotten a few negative comments on CPF. (I gather the LiteFlux doesn't have this issue.)

However, it has been reported that the LD01 has substantially decreased runtime on low (compared to the same lumens on the L0D), verified by a few CPF members.

Regarding cell use, I don't know if the LD01 is certified for 10440's, I know that the L0D isn't, so I'm not sure how long one would live at that drive level. Many people have have had no problems, YMMV. Also, they have been reported to be very poor performers on AAA alkaline with regards to runtime at the various levels and output-at-maximum-level, so high-current-capable Eneloop NiMH or Lithium AAA are your best bets if you don't want to risk it with 10440. YMMV again.

Edit: The following thread covers some of the strengths and weaknesses of these Fenix's, an unusually good thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/219030

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
However, it has been reported that the LD01 has substantially decreased runtime on low (for the same lumens), verified by a few CPF members.

I don't believe the brightness is the same. The low and medium modes of the LD01 were quoted off, but the runtime/brightness ratios are appropriate in the actual light.

I have not heard if the incorrectly set low/medium modes was corrected in later batches.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I don't believe the brightness is the same. The low and medium modes of the LD01 were quoted off, but the runtime/brightness ratios are appropriate in the actual light.

I have not heard if the incorrectly set low/medium modes was corrected in later batches.
It's not a topic I am that familiar with, but I found the following thread very interesting in that regard:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218575
(Owning no Fenix's, I only have an academic interest. However, that thread might be of greater interest to the OP, as it provides some interesting info for the two that he is asking about in this thread.)

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
It's not a topic I am that familiar with, but I found the following thread very interesting in that regard:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218575
(Owning no Fenix's, I only have an academic interest. However, that thread might be of greater interest to the OP, as it provides some interesting info for the two that he is asking about in this thread.)

Yes, the runtimes are off, but so are the brightness levels. Both the medium and low modes are much brighter than the L0D-Q4's, so it makes sense for the runtimes to be different.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent information.. thanks guys for the input... looks like the LD01 would be my choice. And I'm still awaiting the new LF2XT (and 2*AA tube for my LF3XT!)

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the runtimes are off, but so are the brightness levels. Both the medium and low modes are much brighter than the L0D-Q4's, so it makes sense for the runtimes to be different.
Kind of a step back IMHO. I think its fair to say that most would want a lower low and medium with the LD01 - I certainly do.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kind of a step back IMHO. I think its fair to say that most would want a lower low and medium with the LD01 - I certainly do.

NO doubt, the LD01 fell far short of what most of us would have wished for in the follow up model from the L0D... in terms of a much lower low and greater spacing between output levels.

I (and many others, I'm sure) are hoping the Fenix is hard at work coming up with next-gen models which offer lower lows, wider spacing between output levels, and support for Li-Ion cells. These seem to be the most frequently voiced complaints re: Fenix's current offerings.

Pokerstud

Enlightened
I am running 2 LOD-CE heads on 2 Microstream bodies right now, and they work very well, maintaining all 5 modes. One of them has been modded with a red led as well. I have had a SS LD01 head on one of the bodies as well and it works well. The LD01 did appear to be slightly brighter on high to my eyes.

oldpal

Enlightened
I have a question for you all. If you have a perfectly good Fenix L0D or LD01 flashlight, why put the head on a Microstream? If the answer is, "I've got a spare L0D head and no body to go with it, but I do have a Microstream.", then I have another question. Where can I get a L0D or LD01 head only? I can't seem to find any dealers selling these Fenix heads. Thanks.

Hugh

jupello

Enlightened
I have a question for you all. If you have a perfectly good Fenix L0D or LD01 flashlight, why put the head on a Microstream

I think they do it to get the forward clicky switch from microstream body. Or to get rid of the crappy twisty switch (at least my L0D has little loose threads) :D

Last edited:

oldpal

Enlightened
Ok on my first question, but what about my second one? Can I buy one of those Fenix heads and where?

Hugh

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

Some time ago I was playing lego and put a L0D head on a Stylus Pro (2AAA version of the Microstream) body. It was very bright, on par with a Fenix L2T RB80.
I felt uneasy that something might cook or burn and replaced everything in the original configurations.
If it is safe to do so, I would say it is more interesting than the Microstream body as you have both more output and a clicky.

Kind regards,
Joris

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Some time ago I was playing lego and put a L0D head on a Stylus Pro (2AAA version of the Microstream) body. It was very bright, on par with a Fenix L2T RB80.
I felt uneasy that something might cook or burn and replaced everything in the original configurations.
If it is safe to do so, I would say it is more interesting than the Microstream body as you have both more output and a clicky.
That's actually the configuration that interests me most, I've read on CPF that it remains within spec so there shouldn't be a problem. I can send a few links on this if you're interested & missed the threads when they were running a few months ago.
Much better runtime than the LD01 + Greater brightness than either while avoiding unprotected LiIon + Better UI of the Streamlight = :party:
However, the body is longer (being 2xAAA), which may or may not be convenient. For me, shirt pocket carry, it's a nonissue.

22hornet

Enlightened
That's actually the configuration that interests me most, I've read on CPF that it remains within spec so there shouldn't be a problem. I can send a few links on this if you're interested & missed the threads when they were running a few months ago.
Much better runtime than the LD01 + Greater brightness than either while avoiding unprotected LiIon + Better UI of the Streamlight = :party:
However, the body is longer (being 2xAAA), which may or may not be convenient. For me, shirt pocket carry, it's a nonissue.
Hello,
If possible, please send me the links. It would be nice to see that the L0D head can safely be powered by 2 AAA.

Thanks,
Joris