Led Lenser or Surefire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

american lockpicker

Enlightened
I'm looking to get a new LED light and at Lowes they have 2 lights I'm looking at a Professional Led Lenser 3 AAA thats over 100 lumens bright at $44 or Surefire 6P LED at $84. What should I get. Which has better runtime and throw?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Surefire they rate their lumens lower than they actually are. Just use the search and read the many threads about that. Besides that the Surefire is about as good quality as you can get and their is many cool add ons and upgrades you can play around with on the 6P.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Surefire is the better light (I would also rank the task force 2C higher than the lenser 3AAA). I am not a fan of 3AAA lights... especially those that are direct drive or poorly regulated.

You should also note that you can get a 6P for $45 on the marketplace or ebay and upgrade the LED with a drop in module.

Solarforce L2 is another option, physically every bit as good as the 6P and 6PL... even better if you want to use 18650 cells. Although the SF lifetime warranty is the best in the business.

ImGeo

Newly Enlightened
If you don't mind the price, go for surefire!! Although surefire uses lithium... but then 3xAAA isn't much better.

I've personally never had a good experience with led lensers. Surefire's a always really nicely built and bright. Only thing I don't like is that it uses costlsy and non-rechargeable CR123, and tend to not like RCR123 (rechargeable)

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
led lensers are crap, esp ones that use 3 AAA for power, thats a horrible power source and they definately over estimate their outputs, that 100 lumens is probably fresh batteries with in the first minute of use at the emitter with the best of the crap emitters they use, and even that one is probably close to 60-70 lumens, led lenser just makes up their outputs, a maglite is better than one of their lights.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
mossyoak: like you i used to think LED lensers were crappy and didnt want to shell out a single cent for one. Today, i decided to give it a shot. While I was picking up my TA30 for evaluation from my local Fenix agent, he was telling me about the Led Lenser P5 (1xAA no 14500s) and i was in total disbelief, it was like, "hell man, no way!" till he brought one down, fired it on an eneloop and demonstrated it. The lens is simply amazing.

Now, to be fair, the clicky may not feel very robust, but the focusing is smooth and the brightness is pretty darn good for a 1xAA.

So as not to stray off topic too much, i would say go for Surefire, its durability has been proven time and time again in many life threatening situations but it would not be fair to say that LED Lensers are crap lights, i was so impressed with it that i got the P5 just for kicks

jupello

Enlightened
Yep, the new Led Lensers are pretty nice lights. They have great variable focus lenses and pretty good build quality from what I've seen and heard.
..but I dont remember any of the LL's new lights using 3xAAA (P7/T7 use 4xAAA). So if it is some older model, it is not certain if it will have cree led inside or not.. and did the older ones have the same type optics as the new models?
If deciding just by that information, the Surefire sounds better. But it all depends on what kind of light you prefer.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
typing "crap" is to ease up the things. :rolleyes:
When typing the following, it is the direct explanation, means the same as above, but is much longer:
* mechanical work: great
* finish/materials: not up to standard
* electrical/drive technology: crap
* price: way above what its worth
... therefore the one single word, meaning the same

focusing mechanism, optics ... depends on user.
my personal view: one time dealt with a good reflector - never again optic.
Optic has 2 main reasons: aspherical - very special use, and not much space for a large reflector (even then a good one easily kicks the optic, but such one is expensive and not mounted in production lights)
focusing mechanism - with I have to admit, I have not seen by now - adds unnecessary complexity and with focusing bulb lights, that is of no use --> why should it therefore be the bomb with led?

PS: none of both options so far.
Get a light driven with an 18650, something like Jetbeam Jet III Pro Ultra, ...

DM51

Flashaholic
I think the best that can be said about this thread is that the two lights are very different and do not really lend themselves to sensible comparison. The comment has mostly been reasonable, but there is not much point in continuing with more of it. The thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.