I want the beam of a Malkoff M60 in the size of a Fenix PD20!

Martin SH

Newly Enlightened
Whilst being relatively new to this hobby my favourite two torches are a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M60 and a Fenix PD20.

The quality of light from the Malkoff M60 in the 6P is amazing, great throw but wide spill/flood as well. Whilst I love the size of the PD20 the beam is not so good and it does not work well with a rcr123.

My initial idea was to try and find a 3P body, but they seem difficult to find and the finished light would still be a bit thick.

So does anyone have any suggestion? Probably a single rcr123 cell, slim but above all the same quality/mix of beam that the Malkoff offers?

Does it exist?:candle:

Thanks Martin

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Solarforce L2M with a M30?

a_59p.jpg

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want the same sized hotspot and such, then I'm not sure if it is possible. Hotspot size depends on the width and depth of th reflector/optic. The smaller and shallower the reflector/optic, the wider the hotspot.

Maybe an optic that fits the PD20 might work, but I can't think of one off the top of my head, and the RCR123 problem will still be there.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Just a note. There are 3.0v RCR123's that will work in your PD20. Its when you get a voltage off a freshly charge 3.7 that makes it run direct drive for a while. I think Battery Junction has some.

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened
Just a note. There are 3.0v RCR123's that will work in your PD20. Its when you get a voltage off a freshly charge 3.7 that makes it run direct drive for a while. I think Battery Junction has some.

i saw a 3.0 volt battery and charger at fry's today. actually it was a package of 2 batteries and a charger for 25 bucks. i don't remember the name brand, but it wasn't one i've heard before.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
the property that makes the m60 stands above a lot of other lights is its beam from the optic, with an intense hotspot and smooth fade to spill. There are no other small 1 cell lights I know of that uses that exact optic, but all the Surefire E-series 1 cell lights as well as the L1 use an excellent TIR optic and the beam is as good as the M60, a bit dimmer of course.

The other light I have found to be close to the M60 in the 1 cell form is the Ra Clicky Tactical, which has a generous corona around the hotspot that fades gracefully. It uses and Osram emitter so it is refreshingly different from the run-of-the-mill Cree+reflector that every one and their brother is throwing together to call a "extreme limited edition premium 290 lumen R2 Cree Tactical assault police military light".

See if you can try an E1B/L1 or a Ra in person and decide for yourself.

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AKOray k109a is practically the same size as P2D, takes RCRs and has a much tighter beam than the Fenix. I have no idea how it does it because the reflector looks just like my Fenix's reflector, but it's a huge difference beam wise. It throws almost as tight as my Solarforce with P60 XR-E dropins.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
No way a traditional dish reflector design is going to completely replicate the M60 beam.
The Khatod optic in genes modules has a very tight/small hot spot (considerably smaller than reflector type modules). But it also has a lot of flood to the sides, with no circular edge... it just gradually fades from right to left.

My suggestion is to try a single cell P60 host like the fore-mentioned solarforce with an M30. Alternately you could under drive the M60 off one cell.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Dereelight C2H. With a smooth reflector it has pretty good throw for a small light and works with R123's. It's 1A to the emitter on high, but it will heat the little light up fast. :) http://www.dereelight.com