Truly Warm Tints - Now I Get It!

GreySave

Enlightened
After hearing folks chat about the Q3-5A tints for so long I decided to take the plunge with a Jet-IIIM. I have to admit that I had a hard time understanding what all the fuss was about. It was hard to believe that these tints could be all that much better than the Rebels released a few years back.

It arrived a couple of days ago, and what a surprise I received. Yes, the Rebels are slightly warm, as is my E2DL, but the Q3-SA just blows them away in the area of color rendition. While I prefer my E2L or E2DL for every day use, this light is certain to go into my SAR kit and will unbdoubtedly see a lot of use when the conditions merit it. It is that good.

Last edited:

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
Yeah I know what you mean I just got my dereelight C2H w/ 5b Q4, It is great. I would say if anything it enhances the color of most things, it may be becase Im used to the CFL lights in every room.
The runtime on this light is supposed to be pretty short, So I know another warm tinted light is in my future.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Q3-5A huh..
Anyone have any beamshots? I don't own any.

Is the tint yellow?

TexLite

Enlightened
Q3-5A huh..
Anyone have any beamshots? I don't own any.

Is the tint yellow?

Not really, 5A is actually Neutral white ~4000K.

If you compare it to a Cool white emitter, it will look warmer, but the tint is actually "whiter" than an overdriven incan and much more balanced than a Cool white.

Of course, you could also say it looks much "whiter" than a Cool white, the cool white could look more blue compared side by side.

-Michael

allburger

Enlightened
If you really want an awesome drop in, check out the P3 warm white from deal extreme. It is awesome. No its not an r2, but its warm as can be. I would say that its on par with a maglite with half dead batteries. Its almost on the red-ish side. I just got mine from the post man and I love it. I have many cool whites, a neutral white, and now this warm white and the neutral white is nothing till you see this warm white color.

harddrive

Enlightened
If you really want an awesome drop in, check out the P3 warm white from deal extreme. It is awesome. No its not an r2, but its warm as can be. I would say that its on par with a maglite with half dead batteries. Its almost on the red-ish side. I just got mine from the post man and I love it. I have many cool whites, a neutral white, and now this warm white and the neutral white is nothing till you see this warm white color.

Like an incan with half flat batteries?? That sounds terrible!!

I got a Dereelight drop in today with the Q4 5B. Not sure about it yet. I also have the Q2 5A and I think I prefer that to be honest.

GreySave

Enlightened
Sorry. I do not post Beamshots. Time issues. The light is primarily throw with some spill. The spill is a little ringy despite having the OP reflector, but in real world use it is not that noticeable. The spot is tighter than that of an E2DL, but not extremely tight like that of a Super Tac. I have not had a chance to see how far it can actually throw.

A while back someone did a nice pair of beamshots and animated it so that it alternated between the warm and cool tint images of the same landscaping. If you can find it that is the best comparison I have seen and what prompted me to spent the money on yet another flashlight.

The light itself is quite nice. It has a very solid feel. The user interface is not difficult to learn. It is very easy to access the programming mode and select the second output level. The only thing I do not like is the tailcap. Yes it can tailstand, but I prefer an easier access to the switch.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
i had the unfortunate event of having my primary EDC light lost to a no name incan identifying stilts in the sea. sure enough, my d10 threw further and was brighter, but the win went the incan as it could render brown color better. all my d10 showed up was a blurry black. so i have a EZAA (Q3 5B or was it 5A as I was told by nitecore) and TK20 on the way now. coupled with a neck carry wee that is fitted with a neutral tint, my lights are going in the direction of "warm sun" :D

Dizos

Newly Enlightened
i had the unfortunate event of having my primary EDC light lost to a no name incan identifying stilts in the sea. sure enough, my d10 threw further and was brighter, but the win went the incan as it could render brown color better. all my d10 showed up was a blurry black. so i have a EZAA (Q3 5B or was it 5A as I was told by nitecore) and TK20 on the way now. coupled with a neck carry wee that is fitted with a neutral tint, my lights are going in the direction of "warm sun" :D

I have had a similar experience. Cool LED's don't work well for locating cryptic animals or identifying species.

Scourie

Enlightened
I've just picked up the Dereelight Q4-5B 3SM module as well. I have to say that I like it a lot. It's the only neutral/warm tint I own, but I'm certainly going to get another.

Rob

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a XP-E that is P4 flux with 7C chromaticity, that thing is about the color of the recessed can lights we have here. dang, why is it so hard to describe color with text?! anyways, I like the 5A a lot, perhaps if it were just a touch warmer. the 7C is like straight incandescent, almost. about the same color as a 30W frosted

clg0159

Enlightened
I have a XP-E that is P4 flux with 7C chromaticity, that thing is about the color of the recessed can lights we have here. dang, why is it so hard to describe color with text?! anyways, I like the 5A a lot, perhaps if it were just a touch warmer. the 7C is like straight incandescent, almost. about the same color as a 30W frosted
I agree. The 7C bin is very incan like. I have tried 5A down to 8C and my favorite is the 7C so far.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does 5C compare to 5A? I was considering the L-mini II with 5C, but i'm not sure if it is too yellow.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been poking around trying to find a beamshot of the Q4 5B tint, from either a Dereelight owner or someone else using that tint bin, but have been unable to locate any pics. Would someone here be willing to post a shot of their 5B so we can see how it appears? There are many photos now of 5A beamshots on CPF, but I have not been able to track down a 5B beamshot.

A side-to-side 5A and 5B beamshot would be terrific. :twothumbs

GreySave, welcome aboard the Warm Tint Wagon!

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure how much help this is, but I tried a 5D and it appeared very pink in my eyes, certainly wouldn't buy another.