Any waterproof P7 or MC-E lights?

Bronco

Enlightened
Are there any legitimately waterproof (to 2 or 3 atmospheres) P7 or MC-E based lights in the current crop of offerings? I don't require anything that would be used by hard hat divers, but I do find IPX8 to be an exceedingly useless standard.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
AFIAK there are not too many...
There is one user report of DX:13464 being modded for water submersible... Its an XR-E, but you might be able to mod it with an MC-E + driver.

DM51

Flashaholic
2-3 atm realistically means dive-rated. You can't rely on any light to remain water-tight at that depth if it hasn't been specifically designed for that purpose. Most mainstream manufacturers don't cater for this.

Have a look in the CPF Dive Light forum.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
i think it would be could if terralux could design a replacement for dive lights. I have a c8 from UK and that would probably work great on a TLE-300 type. Maybe I could jurry rig it but im not sure how the different LED tints travel under water.

Anyone know how LED tints travel underwater?

DM51

Flashaholic
For purely working illumination, LED is very good indeed underwater. It is strong in blue, which is the last color to be absorbed, so LED light will travel well.

Incan light is strong at the red end of the spectrum. That makes it better for color rendition underwater, as it compensates for the natural blue cast. However, red disappears completely after travelling only ~15 feet through water!

So: for faithful color rendition at close distances, choose Incan. For a good working light, with long run-time and good visibility, choose LED. For maximum illumination, choose HID.