• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Mondrian I

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always liked the art of Piet Mondrian, especially his later works. This one, in particular, inspired me to pay homage to the artist by trying to incorporate his pattern on a titanium light:

Mondrian_HRZL-600.jpg

I started working on this light about a year ago, but I realized along the way that duplicating Mondrian's painting was not going to be that easy on a manual lathe. :whistle:

I tried some test pieces in AL, just to see what I would encounter, giving various cutting tools a chance to do the grooves. Eventually I opted for the 90-degree included angle engraving bits in carbide. And then I spent hours upon hours, diagramming the lines and the sequence of cutting them. In the end, I had invested so much time, that I decided to try for three pieces, instead of just one.

Here's the cutting of the vertical grooves in progress:

CuttingVerticalGrooves.jpg

As you can see, I opted to cut all the vertical segments first, then I added the horizontal, or circumferential, grooves:

HorzGroovesAdded.jpg

Need I say that paying attention so that the horizontal grooves were precisely aligned with the vertical grooves was imperative? :devil:

So, after some passage of time, I did manage to complete six pieces with the pattern. They are shown here, screwed together, prior to further processing:

Trio-flash.jpg

My intent with the Mondrians was that all of them would eventually be anodized, so that the colors at least matched the pattern of the original painting, albeit with the colors that anodizing Ti produces, and not those of oil paint.

But upon seeing one in bare Ti, my customer asked for one without anodizing, so I decided to do the matte finish that I had used on a previous light, since it provides a nice contrast between the grooves and the blocks:

Mondrian-I-6H.jpg

Mondrian-I-2V.jpg

The light is not perfect, nothing that is machined on a manual lathe ever is, but overall, I was pleased to complete the first Mondrian. There will be two more, one that will be highly polished bare Ti, and the final one will have the anodized blocks.

Mondrian-I-5H.jpg

And that's enough homage to Mondrian to last me for some time. I wonder how long it took Piet to do that painting?? :D

Last edited:

gollum

Enlightened
Quote"And that's enough homage to Mondrian to last me for some time. I wonder how long it took Piet to do that painting?? :D"

probably the same time it took you to make this cool looking artlight

very nice a labour of love can't wait to see the full ano version :popcorn:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's looks very cool, in a sci-fi kind of way. Reminds me of the AllSpark in Transformers. :p Looks like no two are alike.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
:eek:oo: :twothumbs :cool: I bet it's fun to hold in your hand and play with.

I like the angle of the bezel - looks great.

What about blasting the grooves, and then polishing the squares, to get the reversed image of the other one? Oh wait, you already have plans for the other two! :)

:thumbsup: john

herrgurka

Newly Enlightened
These lights look gorgeous, Fred! :twothumbs

However, this shouldn't be the end of your homage to Mondrian, but the beginning....... :tinfoil: .......There are so many opportunities to mondrianize your life, and I'm not talking about t-shirts here. I once saw two villas in Germany designed by the Bauhaus architect Miers van der Rohe with ground plans clearly inspired by Mondrian. Less is more and right-angles are the very core of constructive logic.....:D

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek:oo: :twothumbs :cool: I bet it's fun to hold in your hand and play with.

I like the angle of the bezel - looks great.

What about blasting the grooves, and then polishing the squares, to get the reversed image of the other one? Oh wait, you already have plans for the other two! :)

:thumbsup: john

But, John, plans can be changed, at the right time and place. :devil:

And, for the right price. :crackup:

But, there's no way that there won't be at least one colorful Mondrian, in something other than grey and grey.