LED Tint in the Medical Field

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just something interesting I noticed the other day about LED tint and its use in the medical field. I know where's been talk about it causing problems when looking at red throats for pharyngitis, etc. The other day I was examining a child with Osteogenesis Imperfecta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteogenesis_Imperfecta). There is a key sign in this disease in which the sclera of the eye has a blue tint (http://akimichi.homeunix.net/~emile/aki/html/medical/Image/blue-sclera-1.jpeg). Doing my eye exam with my D10, as I usuallly do, I was unable to appreciate the blue tint due to the blue tint of the LED. It wasn't until I did the exam with the opthalomoscope (incan) that I was able to see the color. Anyway, random, but interesting story (I think!).

DM51

Flashaholic
A member of my family is a doctor, and I have lent her various lights to try out. I won't list them all, but the one she says is easily the best for examining eyes, throats etc is the freebie Lumens Factory AAA one.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
or soemthing with an 083 in it, aren't those high-cri? Don't know if CRI ever directly relates to how warm the light is, but I have a feeling cool white LEDs always have lower CRIs

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, babydoc got a prototype of the sundrop for his medical needs after encountering the same problem- as the above poster says, a nichia 083 with high CRI will be just the ticket; you could potentially mod your D10 to run off one, but it's not rated for the current the D10 can put out so may be interesting at higher power levels.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Just something interesting I noticed the other day about LED tint and its use in the medical field.
My bro (dentist) says he can't use LED for diagnosis because the color-rendition is off. While at his clinic, I've witnessed first hand how some "things" (don't know the proper terms for what he was showing me) cannot be seen under certain lighting.

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, my Nichia 083 high cri light renders colors the best of any LED light I own.

From what I can tell, there are Nichia 083's and there are Nichia 083 High CRI's that only come from McGizmo.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard of anyone trying one of the high CRI (93) neutral and warm Seoul P4's in a medical situation. They might be an option for replacing an LED in a higher current light.