Maglight Clone - anyone seen/tested?

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened
I went to the local Bunnings store today (Aus) and I stumbled across what looked like a Mag 3D clone. It was AU$19 (approx US$10?) and made in China. Mags cost AU$65 there abouts. I already had 2 X Mag 3D's so I didn't buy one, but convinced another person to do so. We immediately pulled it apart. It is the closest copy I have seen of a Mag, in fact, almost anything that's been copied. It left me shaking my head wondering if this was legal. It had copied all of the Mag 'tricks' re cam on reflector pushing against a wheel driving the globe down the globe holder tube, globe holder/switch assembly, circlip above the switch assembly, removable lens/reflector by unscrewing the end of the head, O ring placement etc. Even minor detail like packing the spare globe in the base with grey foam etc. Popping the rubber of the switch even showed the exact ribbing on the switch assembly Mag have and the switch seemed the same from the outside such as 2 circular parts with a hole in the center of the inside one for undoing the grub screw holding it in place. We tried a hex key to remove it but couldn't get one to fit - further experiments needed here to remove the assembly. I couldn't believe my eyes with this cheap copy regarding how much was an obvious copy of the Mag. The quality was poor though, nothing like a real Mag.

It sold by the name of "Redline" brand.

Anyone else seen or tested one of these cheap but obvious Mag copies?

Chris

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,
Go to ****smith and check out Arlec 'Mylite', it's a "direct" copy of the mini_mg! Yikes! I believe some patent expires after a while people can start duplicating.

Vince.

Zeppert

Enlightened
Maybe Mag is really the parent company. Quite often companies carry different lines under different names. Of course I can't see MAGLITE doing that though.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag would as soon throw a fit than let someone else, even if it's under their guidance, make a copy of their light...

Mr. Bombastic

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nukiez said:
I believe some patent expires after a while people can start duplicating.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the main purposes of patents is to get good ideas into the general arena of knowledge. Over here, patents automatically expire after around 20 years.

So, that could be what happened

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Bombastic said:
[ QUOTE ]
nukiez said:

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the main purposes of patents is to get good ideas into the general arena of knowledge. Over here, patents automatically expire after around 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just finished a short course on Patent law. Patents also have to be applied for in each and every country the owner wants to have exclusive rights in. If Maglite didn't apply for a patent in Aus, then a company there could clone them and Maglite would have no recourse. Of course the company doing the cloning could not export them to a country where the Patent was in effect.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
one would think maglite would apply for patent in every country there is...possibly the moon too?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moon?
I think they patented the Moon as well...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought Arc patented the Moon? or was it Moon Mode? Or Moon Mullins? I've got to sit down, I'm getting dizzy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashlightCOD is right! I believe MainlandChina is one of the countries without Patent OR the lawyers don't like Patent, I think you can find all sorts of clones there!

[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:
[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Bombastic said:
[ QUOTE ]
nukiez said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just finished a short course on Patent law. Patents also have to be applied for in each and every country the owner wants to have exclusive rights in. If Maglite didn't apply for a patent in Aus, then a company there could clone them and Maglite would have no recourse. Of course the company doing the cloning could not export them to a country where the Patent was in effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened
A few pics for anyone interested. Hope they come out. First time pic post. Excuse the rough pics too - I was in a hurry so set-up and lighting wasn't optimum.

Check out the switch assembly - an exact copy of the maglite.

Makes for a cheap torch for a LED conversion!

fc082a37.jpg

fc082a32.jpg

fc082a2e.jpg

fc082a2d.jpg

fc082a2c.jpg

fc082a28.jpg

fc082a27.jpg

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
awesome!

i've been looking for a cheap light with momentary on to mod...this appears to have it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

any other comments on it? reflector maybe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened
The reflector and lens are worse than Mags. There is more lost light and there is more distortion of the beam.

I did do a quick and dirty lux test of the reflector using the 5W LS LED modded Mag I have. It didn't do too bad really and the numbers were close enough to the same to warrant a real test. The problem trying to hold a reflector in the focussed position is the dreaded wobbles. I did see the same lux output as the mag swish past the meter display though, so it's not too far off the ball for a LED mod. I wouldn't recommend it as a stock incandescent though due to lack of output and more distortion than the Mag, but perhaps I'm biased after using an LS 5W LED modded Mag running at 7W?

Yes, it can be momentary action - just don't press too far. The switch behaves just as the Mag one does, not that I'm surprised.

For the price - how can you loose? It works.

Chris

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
problems testing the reflector? you need one of these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i'm really sad to hear that the reflector is crappy though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

the lens doesn't bother me, because i would of course get a flashlightlens lens anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

if i see one locally...i think i will make the purchase /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif for $10, i must be able to do something with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened
That contraption is just what I need. Either that or cut alcohol from my diet.

At the price, it's hard to go wrong for a modder. It would not be recommended for a person who just want's to buy and use as-is with the expectation it'll give them the best. It makes for a cheap battery holder/switch/lense and reflector holder though. Great for modders.

Chris