Not much love for Princeton Tec?

tempman

Newly Enlightened
I know that Princeton Tec (PT) does not keep up with the absolute newest LED's on the market. But I feel that the products PT puts out are very high quality. In a way, I feel like they are of the same quality that Surefire puts out, just in polymer bodies instead of HAIII. I think alot of people overlook PT products because they are not very "tacticle" like everyone likes around here. As an outdoor junkie, PT lights and headlamps are the best as they are lightweight, durable, and bright. Ive never wished one of my PT lights was brighter in any situation.

fishx65

Enlightened
Got a bunch of Tech 40's and a couple EOS headlamps. Great products and some of the best customer service out there!!!!! It would be nice to see them jump on the Cree bandwagon.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are good lights. But like Inova, Pelican, and Streamlight they don't ride the edge of newest technology so not much to talk about, thus not many threads about them.

On the durable note, I know of a number of people with PT Apex's that have cracked cases.

I recall majority of the complainers are cavers who tend to bash it against rocks.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I recall majority of the complainers are cavers who tend to bash it against rocks.
There's also reports on CPF of people whose Apex casings cracked after disassembly. I think I've only seen 1-2 reports of "spontaneous" cracks.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are good lights. But like Inova, Pelican, and Streamlight they don't ride the edge of newest technology so not much to talk about, thus not many threads about them.

Inova is pretty innovative. They just don't have a big cult following like SF. They don't advertise as hard and their products are low key.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never had any problems with my second-hand Aurora, but, yeah, definitely not cutting edge tech.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Never had any problems with my second-hand Aurora, but, yeah, definitely not cutting edge tech.
FWIW, only 1 of my 4 PT Eos are store-bought. Only one broke (the battery compartment hinge), and I got it that way from the original owner, who stated the light hadn't been babied.

I wouldn't get caught up on the "cutting-edge" of things to judge the value of a brand/line of products. If it does what I need it to do, it's all good.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've had my PT Attitude for six years and it's still going strong. Admittedly it stays in the car and has only seen sporadic use.

Geoff

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kinda funny, if you were to only go by the brands that have a cult following on CPF, you would think that SureFire, Fenix, and Malkoff were the only manufacturers in the flashlight market. :laughing:

I've actually been debating picking up a Tec40 since I really don't have much in the way of AA lights in my collection. I just can't find any local retailers that sell them.

I have a PT Aurora which is a decent headlamp if you can overlook the angry blue 5mm LEDs. I was able to pick it up at my local Cabelas a while back for $9 on sale.

Illum

Flashaholic

This saddens me to know that all we are ever doing is talk about upcoming lights and not of the ones we currently have and the joy of using them...:candle:

It's kinda funny, if you were to only go by the brands that have a cult following on CPF, you would think that SureFire, Fenix, and Malkoff were the only manufacturers in the flashlight market. :laughing:

Pretty much yeah... :eek:oo:

This was such a nice place back then...

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Until I could get a custom caving headlamp, the PT Apex (modified of course) was considered amazingly bright. But it certainly is not waterproof as claimed and has the potential to go poof in the harsh cave environment. Although cavers always carry at least 3 lights, I always made sure I had a second light attached to my helmet.

On the bright side, PT is supposed to have decent customer support and will replace lamps which do not live up to their advertising claims.

For night snorkeling, I love my PT Torrent LED (also modified). It truly is waterproof.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
I think that you are right..they are good lights. Once in awhile I use my tec40 when I walk my dog and I think to myself that this is a great light. Small, powerful, cheap batteries. The best of everything.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Don't own any PT flashlights but the headlamps and customer service is very good. The older Aurora has a weak battery latch. Have not had any cracks in my Apex case and it has been used a great deal. The Rebel EOS is the best 3xAAA headamp hands down in my view.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've actually been debating picking up a Tec40 since I really don't have much in the way of AA lights in my collection. I just can't find any local retailers that sell them.

You can find a lot of them on ebay with good price, that's where I picked up mine.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also really like the TEC-40.Will work with a PR base LED replacement or many different bulbs.The lens and reflector are also easy and relatively cheap to replace,something that most high end LED lights lack.Of course there is also the water resistance and no switch to fail.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I disagree that Princeton Tec isn't using updated emitters. Remember that the Nichia GS l.e.d.s used in the Quad and Corona headlights and the Amp 3.0 and 5.0 flashlights are about the most efficient l.e.d.s made (for lower currents anyway). The EOS uses a Rebel 80 and the Apex uses a TFFC K2. These l.e.d.s provide efficiencies similar to a P4 binned Cree XR-E, but provide more consistent white or warm white light and a better beam pattern with no rings. Many people here have switched to lights with warm white Q3-5A binned Cree XR-Es or Nichia's high color rendition l.e.d.s that aren't much more efficient. Efficiency isn't everything. I'll settle for a PT EOS headlight with a perfect beam pattern for hiking, with white or warm white light coming from it, that can run all night at a usable 20 lumens on one set of batteries. It beats using a more efficient l.e.d. light with a donut hole in the beam with a bad tint.

Last edited: