Beamshot comparison Nitecore Extreme R2 vs. Magcharger TLE-300MR and more...

pulstar

Enlightened
Hello guys!

After some painful learning about photography i finally made it to get some beamshots of lights in my modest "collection". After i bought my girlfriend a LL K3 keychain light, she became quite a flashlight enthusiast,so i had a little help from her:)
Well, i tried to take pictures realistic as possible, but without a tripod they're a little "shaky", but still you'll get the idea:)

So, here are lights that i used:

1.LedLenser P5 with duracell ni-mh battery
2.Magcharger with Terralux TLE-300MR, UCL lens and 3500mah ni-mh battery pack
3.Nitecore Extreme R2 with AW RCR cell
4.Girlfriend's LedLenser K3 with original button cells

Reason why i took these shots in a first place, is that Terralux dropin is often flamed as a lowoutput-funnylooking-overheating piece of junk. I haven't had any problems with it so far, output is astonishing, and i never had any problems with overheating-i used a small amount of thermal-grease and now heat is drained away very good.

Time to serve you some specs:
P5: 65 lm
TLE-300MR: ~600lm
Extreme R2:220lm highest
K3:14 lm

All cells were charged, camera settings were 1/60, 6 second exposure(yea, suicide without tripod:crackup:) ,and iso 250(i think:)) Settings were locked for all lights.

Small vineyard cottage 40-45m (140 feet) away:

Led Lenser P5:
DSC_0003.jpg

Nitecore Extreme R2:
DSC_0001.jpg

(on next picture pay attention on sidespill)

Magcharger with TLE-300MR:
DSC_0002.jpg

Now about 110m (360 feet) away(cottage and a barn):

Led lenser P5:
DSC_0008.jpg

Nitecore Extreme R2:
DSC_0011.jpg

MagCharger TLE-300MR:
DSC_0013.jpg

If we consider Nitecore Extreme around 200 lm light we must admit, that even with less sidespill, TLE-300MR really puts out around 600lm, claimed on a datasheet. And more, even that "funky" beam shape is hardly seen in a real life-outside where this light really shines:)

Treat of a day:devil:: LedLenser K3 vs. Nitecore extreme R2 on lowest setting; I found K3 very attractive light, with really nice focusing system and more than enough power for a keychain helper-here are some photos of a pile of stones:whistle:

LedLenser K3 focused:
DSC_0006.jpg

LedLenser K3 defocused:
DSC_0007.jpg

Nitecore Extreme R2 on lowest setting:
DSC_0005.jpg

This pile was around 6m away.

These were my first beamshots, i hope you all enjoyed watching them at least as half as i enjoyed taking them.

BTW, sorry for all grammar and language errors....:sigh:

pulstar

Enlightened
I wouldn't describe it as blueish...atleast mine. It has a cold tint, but totally comparable with Extreme's. Still, i enjoy it very much:)

Howecollc

Enlightened
Alright, I've been thinking about getting one of the TLE-300MRs for a while, but have been scared off by questions of durability and objective output. How long have you been using yours, and have you had any issues with it. And can I please talk you into posting a beamshot comparison between the TLE-300MR and the stock MagCharger bulb on it's tightest focus, while under the same conditions as above (140 and 360 feet)?

I have two MagChargers which I use around the farm for spot-lighting; but after getting a Surefire E2DL, I often find it not worth the extra size to carry the Mag. If I could up it's output considerably while still keeping a one hour runtime, it might see more use.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
As far as reliablity goes, without modding my MC a bit I wouldn't give spit for the chance of it living a long time.

Since the head of MC does not screw on the body there is a LOT of play and two tiny wires only.

I drilled and tapped a hole into my MC body through the head and made it solid.

As far as beam, on a white wall the edge of the beam is jagged all around.

Out in the world it puts out a lot of light. Maybe not as throw as a focused MC incan, but a LOT of light anyhow!!!

Mine is distinctly cold of tint. I actually see blue. Others say it isn't so much cold so I think it's a crap shoot.

My Sony FD90 has finally given up. So no beam shots from me. I hope I've descibed it well!

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wondered if you could clean up the beam of the tle-300 series with some flood optics. It would probably kill the throw but would make a wall of bright light.Maybe at the same time it would smooth the jagged edges.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi, ive just been experimenting with different optics i purchased from KD to see if i can change the beam, its not easy and it dosnt really work, its all back to original now.........

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how it would look with a diffusing lens from falshlightlens.com?

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am going to buy the mag lens holder/anti roll thingy so i can use a red lens on my Q5, i was thinking of getting a diffuser lens to try out as well, using the Mag anti roll would mean i could chuck it on whenever which would be good. i was mainly experimenting after a few walks where i could see the distance fine :) but couldnt really see that well what i was walking on. maybe a lens that was 2/3rds diffused would be good ? hmmmmmmm:thinking:

pulstar

Enlightened
As far as reliablity goes, without modding my MC a bit I wouldn't give spit for the chance of it living a long time.

Since the head of MC does not screw on the body there is a LOT of play and two tiny wires only.

I drilled and tapped a hole into my MC body through the head and made it solid.

As far as beam, on a white wall the edge of the beam is jagged all around.

Out in the world it puts out a lot of light. Maybe not as throw as a focused MC incan, but a LOT of light anyhow!!!

Mine is distinctly cold of tint. I actually see blue. Others say it isn't so much cold so I think it's a crap shoot.

My Sony FD90 has finally given up. So no beam shots from me. I hope I've descibed it well!

Well, i simply can't agree with that: There is NO way that moving mag's head could potentially harm terralux dropin and so on... Actually, if you use other lens and not the one which comes in the package with dropin(some crappy plastic) and o-ring that is thick enough, then lens pushes dropin just far enugh that it touches that "switch tower" inside mag's body. You get better heat conductivity and more sturdy feeling-maglite's head is almost not moveable anymore.

pulstar

Enlightened
Alright, I've been thinking about getting one of the TLE-300MRs for a while, but have been scared off by questions of durability and objective output. How long have you been using yours, and have you had any issues with it. And can I please talk you into posting a beamshot comparison between the TLE-300MR and the stock MagCharger bulb on it's tightest focus, while under the same conditions as above (140 and 360 feet)?

I have two MagChargers which I use around the farm for spot-lighting; but after getting a Surefire E2DL, I often find it not worth the extra size to carry the Mag. If I could up it's output considerably while still keeping a one hour runtime, it might see more use.

Sorry for such a late reply; Well, i've been using mine since last July and i haven't had any problems with it so far(knock knock:)). Build quality of dropin is actually flawless(at first glance you can see it's made in US) and it feels very durable. Compared with stock bulb, it throws just a little bit less than original Mag(or it's maybe just an optical fraud: Focused magcharger's beam it almost like a lightsabre, with no sidespill, so you have a feeling, it can throw a half a mile away), but with GIANT hotspot with moderate spill...Some describe it as a "wall of light" and i can say they're quite right.
Regarding beamsots: i'll try to borrow my girlfriend's father's stock magcharger and take some shots, maybe even side-by side:poke: :), but i can't assure you, it'll be in next few days....

Last edited:

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi again!

Sorry Howecollc because i still didn't do my homework and made you some side by side comparisons between stock and upgraded magcharger. But i did find a video that gives you a decent comparison between 4d maglite with xenon bulb and one with tle-300m (which is the same as 300mr)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DU-8_kmwME&feature=related

Hope this isn't agains forum's rules...
I'll try to make some beamshots tomorrow.