25 years from now

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened
What kind of flashlight tech will we have, Super lumen LEDs that do 1500 lumens, homes lit by leds, cold fusion batteries?

What do you think will come down the line.

balou

Enlightened
Wasn't there a similar thread a few weeks back?

In 25 years:
-Nanotech Lithium batteries with 2-5 times the energy density, and charged to 70% in a couple of minutes
-LEDs at about 300lm/W (about the theoretical maximum for a black body radiator, but LEDs have a different spectral distribution, so more is theoretically achievable. counting in real-world losses, 300lm/W would be a guesstimate based on... well nothing. read old thread for more infos :))
-Maglite still in business, selling technology inferior products :p
-Many new houses lit by LEDs (especially public buildings and offices). New because the concept of a 'lamp' has to be given up. LEDs just can't deliver that much light in a small package. Lighting concept of the future will be many small LEDs on the ceiling (with different values of 'small')

Gunner12

Flashaholic
-I see LEDs at 200+ lumen per watt but at higher powers.
-More lumen per emitting area, in the range of incans or more.
-Batteries with more power density and safer.
-If lasers are any indications, flashlights above 40 lumen will need multiple keys to operate and a licence.
-Maglite is making better product then they are now only because technology itself has improved and they are loosing market.
-LED lighting starting to replace Florescents.
-Flashlights themselves, besides potential output, won't have changed much.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
-
-If lasers are any indications, flashlights above 40 lumen will need multiple keys to operate and a licence.

Too true, too true. But maybe, instead, they'll say, "it's only dark sometimes, you don't actually need a light after dark. Just stay in your well lit home."

Wattnot

Enlightened
I'm sure there will be improvements in the lights down the line, but I'm still waiting for my flying car, which was promised by the year 2000. :whistle:

seaside

Enlightened
I'm sure there will be improvements in the lights down the line, but I'm still waiting for my flying car, which was promised by the year 2000. :whistle:

Exactly. And according to SF TV drama I saw, we supposed to conqure a galaxy or two by year 2030. All I want by then is a small laser handgun. :whistle:

Burgess

Flashaholic
25 years from now . . . .

SureFire finally ships the items in their 2008 catalog.

Dare to Dream !

:whistle:

_

ruriimasu

Enlightened
flashlights that will enable pure flood to pure throw and vice versa. and of course powered by a power source that will never run out in 1 month even if light is left on at brightest mode (at least 100 lumens) continuously :D ... and last but most important, highly EDC-able... :D

ruriimasu

Enlightened
How about after 2012, if you want light you have to use fire on the stick.

that sounds like the aftermath of a great disaster! :eek: which is why every household should have one of those shock proof squeeze or shake flashlights even though they are totally useless under the current comfortable times.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not think that the lights will be that much brighter than now, but that the color rendition will be perfect sunlight....unless we find that another color is better. And the UI and rundime will both be incredible.

Or the fire on the stick think sounds reasonably plausable too.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
How about after 2012, if you want light you have to use fire on the stick.

erm.. are you referring to something like this?

images

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hmmmm... 25 years from now:

We will hear a news story about the guy who made a fortune selling incandescent bulbs on the black market that he stockpiled before they were made illegal.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm... 25 years from now:

We will hear a news story about the guy who made a fortune selling incandescent bulbs on the black market that he stockpiled before they were made illegal.

And how he was arrested for increasing his carbon footprint qouta