9AA in Mag 3D- upgrade to LED...DX drop-in? P7 mod? Terralux 300m?

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened
Updated: See Post #6

I have a black Mag 3D that I've been running 9 AA's in (3 single 3AA>1D adapters) and they've been direct driving (over-driving) KPR118's. It's nice and bright, but I'm gonna run out of the first batch of bulbs I bought, as the over-drive burns them out relatively quickly. (they don't fully burn out, but don't carry full brightness). Everything else is stock.

With money being the #1 factor, which option might bring the most light for the buck for me? Want LED, now that big lumens are had without the bulb wearout of incans.

I'm considering...

1. Terralux 300M. This does what I want, but is a tad bit too expensive for me. Seen them going for $52 shipped on ebay. I saw one in the marketplace that went for $40 but missed it, as that'd probably be the price point I'd grab one at. Rated at 700 lumens, but probably more like 300-400 out the front. Also, I heard there's sometimes a problem with rattle, as it doesn't fit snug against the lens (though this could probably be easily fixed). This option is the money standard. A strong reason to do option 2 or 3 is to spend less money than the $52 it woulda cost for this option.

2. Anyone have experience with these DX drop-ins? What would I need to do to make it fit in a Mag head?
P7: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14413
MC-E: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21030
I'm not sure they're made for Mags, though it sounds like they kinda fit. Mag bulbs don't have springs, right? So would I have to mod the switch? Also, some comments people left allude to the fact that the heat dissipates through the reflector mostly, and it might take some creative stuffing to get the heat to sink well to the head? I know they say input voltage max of 8.4v, and I could run it on 7 AA instead of 9 by subbing a single AA adapter in for one of the triples.

3. I'm fully aware of the https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195358 guide to modding a Mag with a P7. I have basically no soldering experience, and no tools to do so. Would this be a viable option if I had to buy a soldering iron (with again, money being a top issue)?

Thoughts?

P.S. I also don't have a volt meter, so while I know the theoretical voltage of the 9 AA I'm currently running is 10.8v, with the adapters and stock tail spring, it's probably not driving the KPR118's as hard as I think.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm a TLE-300 user who can report that it does deliver above what is usually reported here, however I would regard this drop-in as being, price-wise, on the low end of the scale. If you're looking for big bang-for-the-buck high-output, it's hard to beat, but I would not recommend this drop-in for hard use, the build quality is about value and not on par with some of the other options from Malkoff and Elektrolumens.

And speaking of Malkoff and Elektrolumens, those are the onle two sources I would recommend for a P7/MC-E drop-in/upgrade. These are the only two builders I'm aware of where the final product will be even tougher than the stock configuration.

If you just want an insane-output novelty Mag to play around with, the TLE-300 will work nicely. But if you're wanting a serious service light, go with the Malkoff or Elektrolumens.

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply StarHalo.

I agree that the TLE-300M fits my needs. I'm wondering if one of the other options would do the same for me, yet be cheaper. I'm ok doing a little work if it's necessary, if it's not too much to learn. That's why I'm wondering about those DX drop-in modules.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Those drop-ins were never meant to fit in a Maglite(too small for a D sized light), so they will probably take quite a lot of modification.

Malkoff does have Seoul P7 drop-ins that will workup to 13v, but they cost a lot more then the TLE-300.

You can also switch back to 3 D cells and direct drive a Seoul P7. Direct drive means not using a driver, and some don't even use a resistor. Just a LED on a heatsink soldered to the switch.

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, so if those DX drop ins won't work, then it looks like my best bet is to just save up for a TLE-300M? I'll try to hunt for a one in the marketplace. Or hope ebay cashback goes up again.

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened
I'm revisiting the option of using one of the DX drop-ins, because they are the cheapest option. Looking at these two:
P7- http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14413
5*R2- http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35242

According to the comments in the various DX threads, they'll fit in the Mag D head with a little bit of filing.

Two questions:
1. Which one would theoretically throw farther? Or does anyone have any experience with similar emitters in similar reflectors?

2. My 3AA to D adapters are the cheap kind, like at kaidomain. Would they limit the current so that both drop-ins wouldn't be an option? The P7 says 2800mA, but the 5xR2 says only 1000mA. I don't fully understand how current works.

Money is my #1 priority. If neither of these options work for ~$25-$33, then I'll probably abandon my Mag 3D all together.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have almost all of them, tle, p7, 3xp7, mag85, ....
if you want a ready drop in that you just put in, tle is the one, great output, i like it a lot.
p7 are also good but you need to diy, malkoff drop ins are not available, sold out since new year.
mce i don't have but i assume you also need to diy it.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3391766&postcount=107

at 7.2v (6x nimh) tle300 pulls about 2+amps, at 14,4v about 1 amp.
i paid for mine $70 2 years ago, and it still works like new, newer models have different levels.

also i hope you don't plan on using alkaline AA for any of those drop ins.

Last edited:

Latest posts