Noob thinking of modding a Maglite 6D with a Malkoff

IllumiCat

Newly Enlightened
I'm a noob, but I hear a lot of people like to put Malkoffs into their 6Ds. I've read several threads here about it.

It seems malkoff has a P4 (240 lumens) and a P7 (700 lumens). I assume the P7 would probably have better throw. The website claims that the P7 wouldn't work well with alkalines and needs 5.5volts, but wouldn't 6 alkaline 1.5 volt D-Cells provide 9 volts?

Do you think it would make a big difference over the incandescents to use the P4? Also, as a noobish question... would the P4 have a longer or shorter run time than the regular incandescent?

And installing the P4 or the P7 would be as simple as buying a pre-cut reflector, taking the old reflector and bulb out and plopping the new LED and reflector in?

Also, I have read here that a-spherical lenses are popular. Do I understand correctly that these just focus the beam to give for more throw and less flood? The lenses seem not too expensive, but it seems that the extended bezels cost a lot! ($40-60 for a bezel when the flashlight itself only costs $25)

I guess Terralux also makes some LED conversions which are attractive because they are about a third of the price of the Malkoff, but would the single LED version be even duller than the standard incandescent bulb? One website says the Terralux does only 140 lumens compared to the 160 lumens of the stock maglite but I thought I read some threads here where they said it was brighter. And installing a terralux would be as simple as just taking out the old bulb and putting the new LED in? I see terralux also has a three LED version but this would probably only increase flood right?

I've also read that maglites own LED upgrade is pretty wimpy (not that it is offered for the 6D anyway).

Thanks in advance for sharing any thoughts. It would also be awesome if someone had a comparison beamshot picture showing the difference between the P4, the P7, and the terraLux. I've seen some pictures of beamshots here but they didn't have much to compare to.