Surefire P60 or P61 For Jogging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightGrunt0311

Newly Enlightened
Hiya,

Due to my awkward work schedule, the only time I can go jogging is at night.

When I jog, I have an Inova X5 in constant on mode strapped to my arm band and in my right hand, I run with a Surefire G2 LED. I feel like the beam of the G2 LED washes out with the street lights and can't throw very far.

I would like to be able to stun and blind my attacker and also light up bushes and trees that are about 90 feet away.

I've been thinking about purchasing the P61 lamp. Is the p61 far better than the stock p60? Also, I have a 6P w/P60. Should I stick with the p60 or get the p61?

Since I'll be gripping the light while running, which light is better suited for shock absorption - the G2 or 6P?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks! Semper fi!

-lightgrunt0311

P.S: just wanted to give a shout out to the Inova X5. I love this damn thing, it never goes dim!!

Last edited:

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I have used both for quite a while now and I really don't think there is a major difference between the two. Is it noticeable...yes! Is it really that much brighter than the P60..I really don't think so! If you want to really upgrade that beast go with the 6P and throw a Malkoff M60 in it! Or if you want to go the cheap route, without sacrificing quality, buy an EagleTac T10LC2. I still think this is one of the best buys out there. It's become my full time duty light and is so impressive that more and more officers are picking them up as well!! Its small, its an amazing thrower, and at 295 lumens it can't be beat! Good luck!

Force Attuned

Enlightened
I have used both for quite a while now and I really don't think there is a major difference between the two. Is it noticeable...yes! Is it really that much brighter than the P60..I really don't think so! If you want to really upgrade that beast go with the 6P and throw a Malkoff M60 in it! Or if you want to go the cheap route, without sacrificing quality, buy an EagleTac T10LC2. I still think this is one of the best buys out there. It's become my full time duty light and is so impressive that more and more officers are picking them up as well!! Its small, its an amazing thrower, and at 295 lumens it can't be beat! Good luck!

Yup...upgrade to an LED

GreyShark

Enlightened
The P61 is a notable step up from the P60 in terms of brightness but it's rated at 20 minutes of runtime by SureFire. I've never tried to do a runtime test on mine but I would assume that the light continues to work at a much dimmer level for a while after the 20 minutes are up and until the batteries are completely spent. Any way you cut it, it still sounds like a short jog to me.

The P60 does not have impressive throw. The P60L LED module will out throw it, at least in a 6P. I have heard the P60L doesn't get as bright in a G2 because the polymer body doesn't heat sink well but I don't personally own a G2 to test it. You may want to try the P60L from your G2 in your 6P and see if it's an improvement for you.

Words like "stun" probably shouldn't be used together with P60, P60L or even P61. Any of the three should be bright enough that if it's dark outside and you shine it in the face of somebody near you they won't be able to see anything but the light. I've tested this in sparring and it works well. It's very easy to be somewhere your light isn't and your opponent won't know it.

It sounds like you need a mix of runtime, brightness and throw. This suggests to me that you should look at a Malkoff or other similar high powered led module. Probably a warm tinted version like an M60W or M60WL. Depending on how long your jogs are you could probably eat up batteries pretty quick too so if you haven't already you may want to look at rechargeables.

I remember when I first started to want more output from my lights... Nowadays 1,000 lumens is like "meh... what else ya got?" :D

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
P60 - I've never been on a jog short enough to have a P61 last the thing, while still long enough to call a jog. Also, at the rates Surefire charges, that's $3.50 every 20 minute jog for batteries.

Re: stunning: expect to buy yourself just enough time to use your violence on said attacker. This ain't a phaser set to stun here.

I'd consider the Malkoff MD-2 and Malkoff LED module - they'll take 123 cells like you're used to with the X5, but they'll also take rechargeable cells for later, and he just added a low-hi switch that goes in with the LED module that you might like.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've measured the P61 lamp at 2.3A current draw and about 3700 lux for the hot spot at 1 meter. In comparison, the P60 lamp measured 1.1A draw and 2900 lux. I doubt the lux difference will matter for stunning. There might be some difference in illuminating something at 90 feet. If you assume a simple inverse square law, then the P61 can throw about 10% farther than the P60.

At over 2A current draw, CR123A cells won't be very happy running continuously. They tend to get very hot. You also will get very short run time (I think that SureFire's 20 min estimate is accurate). At 1A current draw, just about any of the quality CR123A cells will work fine and you'll get at least a hour of run time.

The issue with using the P60 or P61 is that you are going to burn through a lot of CR123A Li primary cells. As an alternative, you should be able to run either lamp on a single 17670 rechargeable Li-ion. The P61 might be borderline, though, since the current draw is close to the recommended 2C maximum discharge rate (in fact, the discharge rate could be slightly higher than 2C).

I've used both the 6P and G2 for running. The G2 is lighter and more corrosion resistant. It also doesn't pull heat away from your hand in cold weather running. IMO, there is no issue with shock resistance with either light. Arm swing won't bother the light.

However, I think that an LED drop-in is the better way to go than the P60 or P61.

A Malkoff M60W warm tint drop-in is probably the preferred option. That might also dictate that you use the metal 6P, not the plastic G2, to help draw heat away from the drop-in. If you want to use the G2, then a Malkoff M60WL in warm tint, low output is probably the choice. You can feed the Malkoff drop-ins with standard protected RCR123A cells such as the "AW" protected 16340 rechargeable Li-ions. You can also use a single 17670 Li-ion if you want longer run time.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I can only hope neither is a viable option. You need some floody LED goodness.

If not then use the P60. Jogging for 20 minutes isn't enough to get you anywhere and jogging with sets of spares is a huge pain in the a$$. Very few "attackers" are in great shape and have the desire to run you down. Especially since joggers don't carry much worth stealing anyway. I suggest blowing past them before they can set up the trap. None of that "you got a dollar" or "hey man can you..." crap. Also vary your route as much as you can.
Use your head to avoid trouble, not a flashlight.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you want to use a flashlight to stun an attacker... Get a Surefire E2D or E2DL. Rely on the strike-bezel, not the beam of light.

Also, please use the search function. This topic has been discussed to death on these boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.