Newbie Needs Some Advice

Brian5

Newly Enlightened
I wanna start out by saying HI :wave: to everyone as I am obviously new here.

I am very interested in buying an LED flashlight. I LOVE the Surefire E1B but being a newbie I'm hesitant to spend the $120 or so for it. I just found the Fenix PD20 and saw that is about half the price. Does the Fenix PD20 even compare to the Surefire E1B? Is the $ spent on the Surefire worth it or is there a comparable one to it @ a lower price?

Any input would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance

fishx65

Enlightened
I don't have one yet but it sounds like one of the Solarforce L2's would be a solid first purchase. $25.00!!!!!!

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
Both are great lights in their own right. They'll be people who prefer one over another, it boils down what YOU want and need.
I suggest you do some reading up on threads like this and this for PD20, and this and this for E1B, and you'll probably draw a conclusion on your choice. The search is your best pal here.

Niconical

Enlightened
The Fenix flashlights are good quality and well respected on the forum.

However, more than price there are 2 other fundamental differences to consider.

1. The Surefire E1B has a forward clicky switch. This means that as you start to depress it, the light comes on, you can then hold it there for a few seconds (or longer of course) for temporary light without actually clicking it in fully at all. As soon as you let go, it goes off. You also have the option of clicking it in fully to lock it on. The Fenix is the opposite, it doesn't come on until fully clicked, then goes briefly off (or change mode) with a soft press. I used to be not too bothered by this, but I've now reached the point where a forward clicky is a must and a reverse clicky (like the Fenix) is a dealbreaker.

2. The Fenix has multiple modes, including strobe and SOS. The E1B is simpler, starts on high, soft press to switch to low and back again.

As for the money, no comment. Not because I don't want to comment or have no comment, but all too often a thread can go downhill fast if you ask a question along the lines of "Is a Surefire worth the money compared to a Fenix?".

FWIW, my side pocket has a E1B in it, has done since the day I got it :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Both lights are great. I'd suggest looking at what you need the light for and pick from there.

The PD20 is cheaper, smaller, and has more modes.
Surefire has a better history, more throw because of the optic, and a forward clickie.

There's also Olight, Nitecore, iTP, Novatac, RA light, Liteflux, Jetbeam, Dereelight, Liteflux, and a few more companies.

:welcome:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no need to spend $120 if you do not want to. There are plenty of high quality lights for much less that will probably be fine for you, and might have more options that you want.

DoctaDink

Enlightened
I am not one of the forum experts, just one who has also been bitten by the flashlight bug.
In order to answer the question, it would be helpful to know a few things, such as...
What is it going to be used for?
Does it need to be small? How small or long? To be carried in pocket? Toolbox? Nightstand? or what? Strike or Kubuton use?
Do you care what type battery it uses? AA, 123, etc. Rechargables? Lithium Ion?
Are you more interested in Flood or Spot beam(Throw)? Is runtime particularly important? Do you prefer tail cap button, side button, twist on/off? Do you want variable settings? SOS,Strobe, etc?
Oh, by the way...WELCOME! And realize, this is NOT going to be the last flashlight you're going to buy...:grin2:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember when I bought my first "expensive" LED flashlight. I was freaking a little because I had just spent $50 on a flashlight.:eek: Nowadays I have no hesitation spending 10 times that on a McGizmo. I agree with what others have said. If you need a really durable, reliable light for work or play, then money should not be the main factor. Another thing to consider is are you the type of person to get swept up by something new and cool? For me, and many here once I got my first really cool light it moved from necessity to hobby. I say look at what you can afford and then buy a bit above that. Don't settle because you may not be satisfied and may end up buying what you wanted in the first place. I'm speaking from experience and this mentality will save you money in the long run.

Brian5

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the info. I currently have a ArcAAA on my keychain and a few years ago when I was originally looking at getting a Surefire, I settled on a Brinkman MaxFire (which for around $20 is a great light but the batteries go so quick in it)

I forgot to mention in my post that I want a very durable, compact flashlight that will last many many years. I really like how the E1B has both a high & low output. My friend who is in LE has the E1B and I have loved it since the first time using it. I haven't really looked at other brands as I am very favorable towards Surefire.

Now the hard part is convincing my wife that spending $$ on a good flashlight is worth it

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want to stay at a lower price range, and still have 2 modes(and only 2 modes) and 1 CR123, look at the Nitecore Extreme (ok, it has strobe, but you have to try to get to it to get to it, it's out of the way), and the Eagletac lights.

The Dereelight C2H can also be a good choice.

DoctaDink

Enlightened
I like the Nitecore EX10. Bright, Simple ramping interface with NO strobe, SOS, etc. . Nice ergonomics, knurling, etc. and alot less expensive than the Surefire. I like the piston design. But it sounds like you really like the SF, so might not ever really be satisfied until you pull the trigger on one of those. Enjoy.

Brian5

Newly Enlightened
If $ wasn't a factor (for conversation sake), would you guys still go with Nitecore or go with the Surefire?

arcel1t

Newly Enlightened
If $ wasn't a factor (for conversation sake), would you guys still go with Nitecore or go with the Surefire?

I would go with nitecore for an EDC. I love my D10 and use it everyday.
But what do I know I dont own a surefire :mecry: yet :grin2:

JonM

Newly Enlightened
Hi Brian,

To answer your question regarding the Nitecore vs. the E1B: As luck would have it, my Nitecore D10 and my SF E1B are the only two pocket-edc lights that I own, so I do use them a fair amount. Of course saying this is a classic cookie cutter response, but both lights have different uses. To make it short, if price in fact was not a factor, I would have to pick the E1B. The E1B is the light that I EDC, while the D10 is mostly on backup as a good household/work light (because it can tailstand, has floodier beam, and can be held in mouth easily for working on car, etc). The main reason that I choose to EDC the E1B over the D10 is the excellent throw of it's total internal reflection optic:rock:. This allows me to see far ahead of myself when walking at night, and prevents me from flashing people/houses/cars with excessive side spill due to the tight beam (also, even if I am shining the light far away, there is enough periphal lighting to easily see what is in front of me. Of course, flood is also majorly useful as well, which is why I carry the E1B with the F04 diffuser. Overall, the E1B seems to have a little less output than the D10, but because the beam is so nice and tight, its output does go a long way.

To go into a little more detail, I am going to briefly glance over some of the merits and drawback of each light. Keep in mind that I naturally will have some biases, so your mileage may vary.

NITECORE D1O (R2 EMITTER):

Positives
- Uses AA batteries, can use rechargeable L-ions, NIMH, etc.
-very small and pocketable (smaller than E1B)
-has aggressive knurling over entire surface, very grippy
- aftermarket clip is nice add on (E1B's is better though)
-great output for its size (overall, seems to have slightly more output than the E1B when run on 14500 lithiums)
- beam is mix of flood and throw (uses traditional reflector)
- piston drive is innovative, nice to operate; feels sturdier than rubber, silent
- UI is simple and very usable, offers wide range of light levels
-light enough to hold in teeth for prolonged hands free operation
- can tail stand
- many water bottle caps fit over bezel exactly for fantastic free diffuser options

Negatives
- does not throw as far as E1B
- finish is not as solid as E1B (mine is a few months old with chips in anodizing)
- doesn't look as "cool" as E1B (this is completely subjective)
- beam tint is greenish, not as nice as E1B (again personal preference)
- piston drive does not operate as foward clicky unless in lock-out mode
- ramping up is much faster than ramping down for me (most R2s?)
- can be hard to "catch" desired level of light while ramping (both up and down)
- looks, feels cheaper than E1B (makes sense at half the cost!)

SUREFIRE E1B

Positives
- backed by great company with great lifetime warranty
-just looks freakin cool!:cool:
- amazingly overbuilt/overengineered build quality
- good weight, feels very sturdy in the hand
-because the body is smooth, it goes in and out of pockets easily
-the two way clip allows you to clip it bezel down in pocket or on belt as well as clip it to the brim of a cap bezel forward as an impromtu headlamp
-TOTAL INTERNAL REFLECTION OPTIC = GREAT THROW :rock:
-does light periphery despite focused beam
-beam tint is a very nice white, do not detect blue, green, etc.
- great paired with an F04 beam diffuser
- extremely effective and simple two level interface (low, high)
- the low, approx. 5 lumens, is impressively usable because it is tightly focused
- foward clicky with good switch action
- good runtime

Negatives
-cannot tailstand
-not as grippy as D10, can feel a little slippery at times
- definitely larger/thicker than D10
- some people dislike that high comes on first, followed by low (i personally like it as it is)
-little bit too heavy to hold in teeth for extended time period
- seems to have slightly less output than D10 on 14500 lithium AA
- less light output options than D10 (though for me, I only use high and low on the D10 about 75% of the time anyway)
-can only use primary CR123's

Well, that turned out to be just a little bit more than brief, but I hope I helped. :whistle:

Good luck!
JonM

PS. Get them both! :naughty:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a number of Surefires, including the E1B (my favorite Surefire), and D10, LF3XT, LD01, and a whole bunch of other 18650, 123, AA, and AAA lights. If you don't need multi-level and want an awesome, very bright, very small light for practically no money.... get yourself a single-mode Romisen RC-N3 Q5 from shiningbeam dot com. Fwd clicky with momentary. Awesome beam. Great build quality. It will burn great on a single CR123 or RCR123 as well as on two AA's (NiMH or Lithium or Alkaline) with included tube extender. This is hands down the best all around light for the least amount of money... and I like mine just as much as I like my lights that cost 4x or 5x as much.

Get an E1B if you don't mind spending the money - the E1B is awesome. But get the RC-N3 Q5 anyway - they're that good and that inexpensive! BTW, I use my RC-N3 Q5, D10, LF3XT, Jet III M and ConneXion X2 waaaay more than my E1B, L1, Z2, L2s, L2m, 6Ps (w/Malkoffs, R2s, MC-Es, and P7s), or 3Ps get used. I just happen to have come to a point with all of these cool lights to much prefer programmable multimode lights that have a wide output range and feed on Li-Ions. I would be difficult to select just one to keep... but the D10, E1B, Jet III M, and LF3XT would be among the last lights I would ever give up because they are so versatile.

Last edited:

Brian5

Newly Enlightened
Jon,

Thank you so much for all that great info :twothumbs. I am torn between the 2 and having a really rough time deciding on which 1 to buy. I guess I will be reading your info over and over until I make a decision.

I'm still trying to think of what to tell the wife when she finds out I spent a good amount of $$$ on a flashlight.

DHart,

Is the Romisen RC-N3 Q5 that much brighter then the E1B? Like I originally stated, I have a Brinkman MaxFire which is very bright for $20. Just wondering how the brightness of the Romisen RC-N3 Q5 would compare to the E1B and the Max Fire.

Does the Brinkman MaxFire come anywhere close to comparing to the Romisen RC-N3 Q5?

Last edited:

JonM

Newly Enlightened
I just have to second the Romisen RC-N3 from shining beam. There is now a two mode version that costs about two bucks more. That damn flashlight is what started me on this downward spiral of addiction, financial ruination, and despair! I thought I was getting a good deal for about $25, but in reality it ended up costing me more than a grand in just the last few months! :sick2: I can still remember the grin that lit up my face the first time I fired her up- its a feeling that I have been chasing with ever increasing new lights. I am afraid that tolerance to lumen's, once gained, is irreversible... :help:

Brian5

Newly Enlightened
I guess its safe to say that you were/are very pleased with the brightness of the Romisen RC-N3?? I want a light to "WOW" of course me but also one that "WOW"s friends would be nice too.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still trying to think of what to tell the wife when she finds out I spent a good amount of $$$ on a flashlight.

The wife will think nothing of you spending $23 on a Romisen RC-N3. ;) And yes, it will WOW you and others!

DHart, Is the Romisen RC-N3 Q5 that much brighter then the E1B? Like I originally stated, I have a Brinkman MaxFire which is very bright for $20. Just wondering how the brightness of the Romisen RC-N3 Q5 would compare to the E1B and the Max Fire.

The RC-N3 Q5 is just a bit brighter with RCR123 (EV 4.5 with my ceiling bounce test) than the E1B with CR123 (EV 4.3). And the Romisen has what I find to be a much more useful beam for general use. The E1B is a really a thrower, which definitely has its place when wanting to see distant stuff...but not so great (for me anyway) for general usage... I find it too narrow-spot-focused much of the time. I really do like the switch/UI on the E1B - nice!

The RC-N3 has a good bright spot, but its a wider softer spot, gradually easing into a nice wide and bright spill... excellent for general use. This smooth, gradually integrated transition from spot to fill is what I love about this light's beam (same with LF3XT and D10). That's why my E1B doesn't get as much use... I tend to use lights more for general use than for distant stuff... but I'm sure glad to have the E1B for times when I can use a compact light that throws well.

Last edited:

Brian5

Newly Enlightened
Is the throw that much greater on the E1B then the Romisen RC-N3 or not really that much of a difference?

So this would be the one to order?:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Romisen RC-N3 II Cree Q5 2-Mode LED Flashlight "Black" for $24.95[/FONT]

Are you guys familiar with the Brinkman MaxFire??

Last edited:

Latest posts