Best "BACKUP" flashlight? SUREFIRE, FENIX, EagleTac

RJ9

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I am looking to buy a best backup flashlight, my priority is quality beam (I am a fan of incandescant, so who made a most warmer LED) and the best engineering, the price is not important.
Thank you very much.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
"Best" is rather subjective. But if you really love incan or very warm lights, I suggest you go for Surefire incan series or the 6P with Malkoff drop-in.

OR if price is not an issue, here's a bright warm light for you to consider. But it's not LED.

:crackup:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire E2e is still a winner for an incandescent light. A great beam and a small size.

Since you posted in the LED forum I will assume you want an LED. Like Zeruel suggests, a Malkoff M60W LED drop-in in a Surefire 6P is a good bet.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
"Best" is rather subjective.
As is "backup". My backup light is an ArcAAA on my keychain. If I were doing something else, my backup would be a 1x123 or 1xAA light...

So, if your main light is a rather large one (Magcharger, Streamlight, etc.), and you like incans... maybe a Streamlight Strion might be of use? SureFire has a plethora of small and powerful incan lights that could be used as backup: 6P, G2, e2e, etc.

Maybe if we had more info on what your primary light is, and more features that you'd like in your backup light (size, material, number/type of batts), we might be able to narrow down our suggestions.

Oh, and :welcome:

RJ9

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a small size, (1 X CR123 battery), like Surefire BACKUP, Fenix PD20, EagleTac TC10...

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a small size, (1 X CR123 battery), like Surefire BACKUP, Fenix PD20, EagleTac TC10...

If lights like PD20 is one of your considerations, then I'd say your options are many. Would you mind answering this checklist and post it here? Gives everyone a better idea.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
warm tint is hard order.

my favorite is the dereelight c2h with warm tint led. output is good (one of the best available) but runtime is rather weak. but as "backup" its 10-20minute runtime on max is plenty. (and it does have lower modes too)

if money is no object i would suggest Ra Lights Clicky. (i think these could be specially ordered from factory with warm tint led)

about fenix lights they have really white tints but their runtimes are great.

1st price, it has been asked.
2nd size and battery type: cr123 ok.
3rd runtime, important or just as backup?

whats next.. yeah..

4th the user interface.
simple to use on/off? or are you ready to use and learn a multimode?
do you want it to ramp up (low,medium,hi) or ramp down (hi-med-low)?

- other features: do you need strobe? sos? easy access to them?

do you need very dim output too?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dereelight C2H with a neutral white LED might be a good light for you to consider. Runtime on max is short but it should be enough for a backup light.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletac T10LC2 is available in a warm tint, but that is a 2 CR123 light. If you have room for it, I don't see why a slightly larger light wouldn't work.

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
RJ9, I just ordered a Nitecore extreme for backup use. Its small, uses 1 cr123, and has variable brightness. My primary light is the Pelican 7060. I'm not so sure the Nitecore will be warm but I think its a very good light!!!

RJ9

Newly Enlightened
So the Ra ClickyTM flashlight is the best engineering backup flashlight, better than SUREFIRE?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E1B, E2DL or the L1. If you really don't like LED beam color, then get the Surefire E2e (it's an incandescent), you can use the MN02 lamp for longer runtime.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,
I am looking to buy a best backup flashlight, my priority is quality beam (I am a fan of incandescant, so who made a most warmer LED) and the best engineering, the price is not important.
Thank you very much.
Does it need to be "tactical"? If not, you should consider a Muyshondt Aeon.

Otherwise, a SureFire E1e with a Lumens Factory lamp assembly is a fantastic little incan for backup. Actually, it is the finest 1xCR123 incan setup on the market, hands down.

Welcome to CPF!

madchild

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Nitecore EX10, and its a great backup light. My main light is a Fenix TK11 R2, and the NC EX10 is a good addition to my lighting needs.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I agree, "backup" is relative.

My keychain "backup" is a Michael Jordon Extreme III. My wife has one of these on her keys as well.

Actually, he's selling some of these right now, in designer tints. If I had the cash, I'd buy another.

I also have a a couple of Muyshondt lights. They are excellent. The Aeon puts out the same lumens for the same runtime as the SF Backup, but it's so small it's a swollowing hazard.

ypsifly

Enlightened
My PD20 has a slightly warmer tint than my E1b, but I like the build and simple UI of the Backup better. The clip on the E1b is a nice touch. I like being able to carry it bezel down but high enough in my pocket to grab it quickly when needed.

Another vote for the E1e. Whether stock or upgraded its a nice little light.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire E1B, period.

I can put it anywhere and I know that if my primary duty light fails, my "Backup" is going to do the job.

tygger

Enlightened
Stock Surefire LED's are not warm. And incans as you're aware suffer from horrible runtime. If you're looking for LED and a surefire, the suggestions for the 6P w/Malkoff warm tint dropin are probably the way to go. The good thing is there are so many great lights out there right now and most can be special ordered with a warm tint. Good luck.